Shotgun in Truck

This is a discussion on Shotgun in Truck within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'll be driving from Virginia (resident of VA with VA CHP) to Florida in the near future and I will be taking my Mossberg 500 ...

Thread: Shotgun in Truck

Shotgun in Truck

I'll be driving from Virginia (resident of VA with VA CHP) to Florida in the near future and I will be taking my Mossberg 500 12ga. pump. It has a folding stock, side saddle shell holder, tac light, etc. It will be loaded, but not chambered. I have a locking rifle case built into my camper shell which I could easily travel with it there. After much research, I'm still unclear on traveling with it inside the cab of my truck. In Virginia, I am perfectly legal to carry it in the cab open or not. I'm not sure about NC, SC, GA, and FL. I'd like to have it in the rear floorboard or on the rear seat while I travel. If I can't, no big deal...it can travel in the case in the back. It's just been difficult finding consistent information for the various states. Handgunlaw deals with handguns and doesn't speak to shotguns much if any. Any information or suggestions as to where to look would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Good question. I'm not sure, but here's a couple links that might provide some info. I always keep a rifle with me when traveling. For states you're not sure of, just unload it and lock the container. If you do figure it out, post back where you got the info if you don't mind.

NRA-ILA ::

I know this is for handguns, but it mentions rifles as well per state - Handgunlaw.us
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    I think the problem you will run into BugDude is the loaded but not chambered configuration. Assuming the shotgun is illegal in at least one of those states, then you would need to travel under the peaceable journal provisions, the shotgun must be unloaded. In most states that I know of, unloaded means no rounds in the chamber or in the tube.

In NC there is no difference between loaded and unloaded. As to the concealed carry permit, it only covers handguns not long guns. If it is accessible to any of the passengers or driver of the vehicle it could be legal trouble if not READILY visible to an approaching officer.

NC does not specifically address how to carry firearms in vehicles. Only that they cannot be concealed and readily accessible to any occupant in the vehicle. Goes for handguns and long guns. So I would say if it were locked in the case in the back of your truck NOT accessible you would be fine. Or in plain view in the cab. I would probaly just lock it in the back and carry my .45 on my hip as usual.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    NC does not specifically address how to carry firearms in vehicles. Only that they cannot be concealed and readily accessible to any occupant in the vehicle. Goes for handguns and long guns. So I would say if it were locked in the case in the back of your truck NOT accessible you would be fine. Or in plain view in the cab. I would probaly just lock it in the back and carry my .45 on my hip as usual.
    From what I've been able to ascertain, most of the states it appears I would be fine EXCEPT Florida, which specifies a shotgun cannot be accessible in the passenger compartment. The safest thing to avoid any legal problems or other hassles is just lock it in the gun box in the back of the truck and carry my normal handgun set-up. I plan on printing the handgunlaw.us.org sheets for each state and having them with me. Georgia is the only state that doesn't reciprocate with VA, but you can carry in your vehicle in GA without a permit. I just need to stop for whatever I need in SC and scoot through GA (2 hours) without stopping. I'm mainly taking the shotty for HD after I get there anyway, but it was worth looking into just to be sure. Some states specify things with long guns and others don't specifically state whether you can or cannot so there are some elements of interpretation. I'd rather just keep it simple and not risk any issues. Thanks for your posts.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links