red jacket vs arsenal

This is a discussion on red jacket vs arsenal within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I need help from those of you with some AK experience ...I am looking at my first ak47 and don't know what to get. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: red jacket vs arsenal

Question red jacket vs arsenal

I need help from those of you with some AK experience ...I am looking at my first ak47 and don't know what to get. I read a lot of things about arsenal and how everyone thought they were the best for the money so I had my mind made up and now I'm not sure what I want. I was looking around last night on Atlantic arms and they had a saiga red jacket AK for about $700 and the arsenals for $800ish. I know they have there own TV shoe but are they really good?? They come with a lifetime warranty through red jacket? What say you??

2. Remove Ads

As far as I know arsenals were built off of the Saigas that come into the country. The saiga is made in the same factory that aresenal quotes theirs are made in( Izmash). At least I would assume such when they have some named saiga###.
    My saiga is great and could only imagine what this company does with them.

The red jacket I found looks to be another saiga conversion. It looks less complete than what an Arsenal would be. The arsenal appears to have normal gas block and front sight base. Also the muzzle is threaded. I would assume to the normal length. My saiga has the sight based set back farther. Lead to minor issues if I thread for a muzzle brake.

To get the red jacket to the same place as the Arsenal would cost more than $100 and a few hours of your time.

If I went red jacket I would buy a saiga and do it myself for less money. This is what I did. Something about a company that agrees to do a reality show that doesn't make me want to do business with them. If you are leaning towards Arsenal stick with Arsenal.

These statements are based off Atlantics webpage, the pictures, and my poor memory. Take them for what its worth.

Administrator
    Ask yourself this; Would you even be considering a Red Jacket if they were not on TV?
    bmcgilvray, Cuda66 and OldVet like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Red jacket quality and attention to detail has been in the toilet since they started filming the TV series. There have been many complaints..... they got too big too fast and the small business quality is now gone, replaced with mass produced issue filled weapons. I wouldn't recommend them.

Thank y'all so much for all the details on this...sixto if they didn't have a shoe I probably wouldn't know them and in turn not look at the gun....this is true. I hate the freaking shoe so bad but I like some stuff they build. I am leaning to arsenal so I geuss I will stay there. I mean am I missing any other manufacturers here that make great ak's? I am buying now for my son to have later and for me to enjoy as well..maybe run some courses with also....any help would be nice...thanks again

These guys are the best in the business FYI so if you want to get a parts kit and have someone build a top quality weapon for you:

Rifle Dynamics 07 FFL/SOT - Las Vegas | AK Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    These guys are the best in the business FYI so if you want to get a parts kit and have someone build a top quality weapon for you:

This is where I will get an AK built. Their stuff just looks head and shoulders above the competition.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

You may want to look at the offerings from One source Tactical at Suarez International. Their weapons systems are second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post

I agree. Living in Las Vegas I've seen their quality first hand on numerous occasions. I even had the privilege of meeting a few of the guys. You can't go wrong with Jim Fuller.
    Nevada CFP
    Utah CFP

GM
    Red Jacket have some nice firearms, but IMO the customer service belongs in the hall of shame. I have dealt with them a couple of times but I will never do it again. I would definitely get an Arsenal.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Okay I seriously need some help here....the more I think about a ak47 its a rough tough go through hell and back gun....with that being said, I can't justify spending almost $1000 on a arsenal when I just did on a ar15. I think my budget is more like $550. I need some serious help though.I don't want to spend hard earned money on a pos with crooked sights or crappy finish or something. I don't expect ar15 finish or accuracy but I do want a decent looking gun....please help...I've looked at cai wasr 10s and century arms folders and what not.....just help....please...I need a accurate well built reliable gun that I could trust my life on.

You need an Arsenal. Drop the dime and call it good.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Ask yourself this; Would you even be considering a Red Jacket if they were not on TV?
    Especially not since they been on TV.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

OP - At your budget, I would suggest you look into a lever gun in .30-30. I paid less than $500 for my Marlin 336 NIB, including the scope and sling. Used ones can be had for even less. Sure, the glass is not top quality, but it gets the job done. And I trust a 170 gr .30-30 bullet more than a 123 gr 7.62 x 39 any day of the week.

Would I take a lever gun to war? No. But for civilian self defense, they are more than most folks will ever need. And don't get fooled by the capacity of the tube mag - you can top it off as you go. Do you really think you will ever need to rip off a bunch of rounds as a civilian? Doubt it. And every round you fire has a lawyer attached to it, so you'd best be aiming anyway - especially with a rifle.

One other consideration is that a lever gun is still considered a "sporting" or "hunting" gun by most. Defend yourself with an "eeeeevil assault rifle" and you could have some problems...use a "deer gun" and you could have fewer issues.

Anyway - just something to consider, especially since you already have a semi-auto AR in the stable.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    I've owned a Red Jacket AK (posted a video review of it). It's a nice rifle, but I still would rather have an Arsenal SGL Russian AK. As a matter of fact, I sold the Red Jacket AK and still have my Arsenals (several of them). You simply can't beat the Russian AK's. The Arsenal rifles are built in Izhmash which is where the rifles have been built for the Russian military since the beginning. It's a "true" AK whereas the Red Jacket is built from a parts kit using things like American made barrels vs. the Russian cold hammer forged chrome lined barrels (the best AK barrels out there).

In short, I much prefer the SGL over all other AK's out there right now.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links