Thinking of selling my AR for another AK

This is a discussion on Thinking of selling my AR for another AK within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Lately I have been considoring selling my DPMS AR to buy another AK. My main reason is ammo affordability. Every time I burn through a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Thinking of selling my AR for another AK

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Lately I have been considoring selling my DPMS AR to buy another AK. My main reason is ammo affordability.
    Every time I burn through a 30 round magazine it costs me $15. On the other hand when I do the same with my AK it is only $6.
    Would I be making a mistake? The only reason I ask is because I am having a real hard time making up my mind.

Sell the AR. Buy an AK-74. Shoot a lot more.

Why are you spending so much on 5.56 ammo? I pay about $6 per 20 and we should be seeing prices drop soon. I know that's not as cheap as 7.2x39, but it's getting there.

Your other option would be to just buy a 7.62x39 or 5.45X39 upper for your current AR.

EDIT - that's exactly what I'd do.... Just buy another upper in the same caliber as you AK and run that to be cost effective. I'd keep the 5.56 upper as well, but that's just because I prefer it to the other 2 calibers.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    That's $0.50 a round. That's expensive. You can find both 5.56 and .223 for $0.30 on ammunitiontogo.com

.223 at $0.30 Ammunition To Go : 1000rds - .223 PMC Bronze 55gr. FMJ Ammo [PMC223A] - $299.95

5.56 at $0.32 Ammunition To Go : 1000rds - 5.56 Federal Lake City XM193BK 55gr. FMJ Ammo [XM193BK] - $319.95

If you don't mind shooting steel, even cheaper. $0.24 Ammunition To Go : 1400rds - .223 Silver Bear 55gr. FMJ Ammo In Sealed Spam Can [A223MS] - $336.95

and... $0.22 Ammunition To Go : 1000rds - 223 Brown Bear 55gr FMJ Ammo [AB223FMJ55] - $221.95

If you must change calibers, I'd go with 5.45 over 7.62x39 in the AR platform, but that's just me. There are a few brands that make them. I know S&W makes one.

As far as making a mistake. Why would you think that? If you want an AK instead, and prefer the AK, by all means, get the AK. It's nice having both platforms though. I have both and love them each for they're own capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post

but that's just me.
    ......and me.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I think you're selling yourself short, Ernie.
    Sell your AR and buy two AK's

Seriously, the different upper seems like the answer. You know you will miss not having the option to grab either or for some shooting fun.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Lately I have been considoring selling my DPMS AR to buy another AK. My main reason is ammo affordability.
    Every time I burn through a 30 round magazine it costs me $15. On the other hand when I do the same with my AK it is only $6.
    Would I be making a mistake? The only reason I ask is because I am having a real hard time making up my mind.
    I am assuming you are shooting brased cased ammo in your AR (price approx. $320 per 1000) and steel cased Russian ammo in your AK (price approx. $200 per 1000). Why don't you just shoot steel cased .223 ammo in your AR? While maybe not quite as accurate and a bit more dirty it is just fine for plinking and range work or 3 gun. I have read/heard some others say that the steel cases are tough on the extractors and may break them. Big deal. If you save $100 per thousand and shoot several thousand rounds a year why would you even care if I had to replace a $15 part once a year. The steel used in steel cased ammo is very soft and will not damage the extractor anyway or any other part of the AR. As far as I am concerned its just another one of these forum myths. These myths, and there are a lot of them, are generally spread by people who spend way too much time on the computer spreading these myths and hear say that they have no real first hand knowledge of, and not enough time behind the trigger. I have shot many many 1000's of steel cased rounds through several different AR's and have had zero issues. I save enough money in a two year period to buy another rifle. That's the only "math" I need to be concerned with.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Why are you spending so much on 5.56 ammo? I pay about $6 per 20 and we should be seeing prices drop soon. I know that's not as cheap as 7.2x39, but it's getting there.

Your other option would be to just buy a 7.62x39 or 5.45X39 upper for your current AR.

EDIT - that's exactly what I'd do.... Just buy another upper in the same caliber as you AK and run that to be cost effective. I'd keep the 5.56 upper as well, but that's just because I prefer it to the other 2 calibers.
    You're killin' me Jon, goddamn killin' me.
    jonconsiglio likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Walmart sells .223 Federal AR brass ammo for $5.99 for a box of 20, that would be $9 per magazine.

Do you like hitting what you shoot at? If so, keep the AR. 5.56 ammo is coming down in price. 7.62 ammo is ok in terms of price, but a 22LR upper for your AR would be even cheaper to shoot.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate's 45 View Post
    Do you like hitting what you shoot at? If so, keep the AR.
    In the practical use of battle rifles a skillful and trained rifleman with a quality AK can out shoot an average shooter with an AR almost without exception. And of course the reverse could be said because other than a few limited exceptions its almost always the shooter not the weapon and ammo that matter most. Training and skillful use with either platform is the real difference.
    varob likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I can reload .223,with premium bullets, for about .25 to .50 cents a round.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I can reload .223,with premium bullets, for about .25 to .50 cents a round.
    That's a big swing. Why does the price fluctuate so much?
    I used to reload years ago and everything was pretty consistent. What make the price double sometimes, from .25 to .50? I was thinking of getting into it again. It's still cheaper than buying in most cases, but that's a big price jump.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    That's a big swing. Why does the price fluctuate so much?
    I used to reload years ago and everything was pretty consistent. What make the price double sometimes, from .25 to .50? I was thinking of getting into it again. It's still cheaper than buying in most cases, but that's a big price jump.
    Because Barnes copper bullets are expensive.

I can probably get that number down considerably once I do some experimenting with different powders.

For varmints, I like 55 grain Noslers over benchmark powder, which I can cook up for about .25 cents.

It can probably be done cheaper yet, with fmj bullets.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Thanks, zacii. I had a hunch it was the cost of the bullet, but wasn't sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links