Lets talk colors for a while

This is a discussion on Lets talk colors for a while within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by jonconsiglio And also fit in almost every environment it could be exposed to better, in general, than almost any other somewhat solid ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lets talk colors for a while

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    And also fit in almost every environment it could be exposed to better, in general, than almost any other somewhat solid combo. Then there's multicam which seems to take on the color of its environment.

Some environments, like those found in Afg and Irq often apply themselves to the gear and regardless of what color gear you have it seems to take on a nice dusting of the local flavor.

With me..... You'll never see me comin' sucka! that's why I choose a hot pink or similar variant.

Also, and not that the current enemy overseas has access to night vision, but black stands out more than any other color. A painted rifle will all but disappear due to additives in the paint and also in the dyes of milspec colors.

When we do a low light clas or are just out hunting, guys with black rifles seem like just a floating rifle when wearing quality gear. Google it, there some great stuff on black when it comes to visibility.
    Are you doing some pre-holiday recon at Victoria's Secret? Thats about the only place hot pink blends in.

The NVG argument is one that holds merit though, as black shows up very distinctly through those. I'm not sure about the painted rifles, but I'll take your word with it.

Of course, with IR, which is becoming more and more preferred, it really doesn't matter at all.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

I do ALOT of recon at Victoria's Secret......
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

The rifle at the top of that photo is a mix of Aervoe though I'm not sure what colors. Likely a desert sand and an olive drab with another earth tone or two then a dusting over the top. There's a really good thread on Lightfighter on how to paint your rifle by Pat Rogers, then a 30 page thread on painted rifles, many listed the colors used and often pics n their environment. Good stuff.

Here's some black under night vision. Notice the rifles, googles and NV gear, then notice the rifle at the bottom with the painted optic and how it doesn't stand out.

As for me, I just use a combination of what I have laying around, often purchased in FDE just because I like the color. I like black grips though if it's not a painted rifle then a lack or FDE stock and the rails covers I use are usually FDE as well as the rail itself.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Here is a question for you though. You pointed out in SIXTO's thread that the black P-mags tend to be sturdier, I can't think of an explanation why that wouldn't be uniform across the line spectrum of gear. Can you?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Here is a question for you though. You pointed out in SIXTO's thread that the black P-mags tend to be sturdier, I can't think of an explanation why that wouldn't be uniform across the line spectrum of gear. Can you?
    I'm sure it is uniform. I can tell when stippling that the FDE rail covers aren't AS solid and the same goes for the vert grip. But, none of them are failure to prone. The ONLY concern with this and the PMAGs, as overblown as it may be, is that under hard use and abuse, the feedlips, which are a thin piece of material in comparison, may eventually wear enough to open or crack. On a stock, vert grip or rail covers, it's a non-issue.

And to be honest, it's most likely a nn-issue on the mags as well as they've been tested and withstand abuse that the aluminum bodies never could.

I've never had a PMAG fail on me because of the material itself, though I have hand a handful fail and Magpul quickly sent me out new mags.

My FDE very grips are very sturdy as well. One of them has small chunks taken out or cuts from being forced forward when getting into a supported position. The mount itself is still strong as new as is the rest of it.

If you are really worried about being stealthy, I'd worry more about obscuring the straight lines of the rifle, and less about the actual color of it.

Tie some camouflage to it; when done, take it off.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If you are really worried about being stealthy, I'd worry more about obscuring the straight lines of the rifle, and less about the actual color of it.

Tie some camouflage to it; when done, take it off.
    True, a burlap sack, some 550 cord, and a good knife would be more useful than painting the rifle, and its a lot easier to remove.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I've been told that RAINBOW DuraCoat is very much in style in the land of fruits & nuts.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

Yeah, but I don't think people are all that concerned. It's more about not being an obvious stand out. Apparently it's been working for many people more in the know than me... Almost every pic I see or video from buddies of mine or even just random on the Internet, there's some sort of painting going on. I think wrapping stuff around a rifle with optics, lasers, lights and even push-to-talks would become a problem. Unless obviously you're a sniper, in which case we're not just worried about drawing attention, but trying to avoid it at all costs.

I also think its getting taken out of context as to why the painting is done. It's not to hide, it's to not stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot1 View Post
    I've been told that RAINBOW DuraCoat is very much in style in the land of fruits & nuts.
    It works well in San Francisco and W. Hollywood as well. I try my hardest to hide when passing through those areas.

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    It works well in San Francisco and W. Hollywood as well. I try my hardest to hide when passing through those areas.
    You mean "not stand out", don't you?

VIP Member
    Black or natural wood anything but PINK.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I like to customize mine with paint jobs so black is fine for me....

DSC01365 (Large).JPG

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Black or natural wood anything but PINK.
    VTAC offers a "tactical pink" sling. Bad-ASS selectors ran a batch of pink as well. I think it's a bit silly but I've seen a few guys build them for their daughters or wives with pic furniture or paint.

I can't see doing it, even for my daughter, but who knows what she'll ask for when the time comes.

I painted my rifles because all the cool kids did it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links