ak47? - Page 2

ak47?

This is a discussion on ak47? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks for all the replies. I have a spikes ar 15 that I am very happy and confident on. I was wanting to diversify my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: ak47?

Thanks for all the replies. I have a spikes ar 15 that I am very happy and confident on. I was wanting to diversify my investments. LOL. As far as the snob statement, I wasn't trying to upset anyone with that statement, its just the people who said that to me were in fact brand snobs. If its not arsenal then your wasting your money type people. I shouldn't have assumed y'all would get that because I didn't explain therefore I apologize. I geuss I am going to hold off for now on this and just stockpile some ammo for the ol' ar this Christmas. I will not buy a firearm unless I am absolutley certain.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    One thing that needs to be considered, I think, is whether the rifle will let you grow or limit you as your skill and capability increase. It could well be better to pay some more for a rifle that will keep up with your growth for a while instead of getting a less expensive one now that ends up holding you back and forcing you to pay more for another higher-quality weapon once you've advanced in overall skill as a rifleman.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

I was wanting to diversify my investments. LOL.
    I'd just buy a bunch of ammo, and keep the money around to upgrade your current platform as you desire. Why add a new platform and new ammo inventory (of course, that is me thinking aloud)...........?

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Ex Member
    I have owned 12-15 AK 's over the years: Chinese, WASR's, SAR's, M70's, M70AB2's, and an Arsenal. The O-N-L-Y one that couldn't make it through a mag with SOME kind of issue was the $1000 Arsenal. I now own a M70AB2

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Don't be too apprehensive about WASR's if you can hand pick it. Never buy one online! I have run 1000+ through mine with no problems except for hollow points. Everthing else has been fine. Check for canted sights and gas block. Also if the GS will let you, disassemble the rifle and make sure the gas piston isn't bent. I paid $500 for my under folder which seems to be a little more than the fixed stock. Check for mag wobble as well. Don't expect it to be pretty. The finish is crap and the wood is too. Nothing a little sand paper and tounge oil wont fix. BTW I baked on Rustoleum BBQ pit paint on the all the metal and it hasn't come off yet after 6 months.

Have you considered using the money for a carbine class with the AR, instead?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    For around $600, two words: Waffen Werks.

Bulgarian AK74 Rifle Poly Waffen Werks

Sign up on AR15.com and get a user name. Email Atlantic Firearms your AR15.com user name and get a discount. That discount will make it right at $600.

Of course this is a AK74 (5.45x39) but I'm a fan of the 74's. Ammo is dirt cheap and plentiful.

I just picked this rifle up from Atlantic and I have a whole safe full of Arsenal rifles. This is every bit as nice, if not more so... definitely has a better finish.
    WonderBra likes this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

RKM
    I have a WASR. I have zero problems. I've found that one the internet, the great vast majority of people (not all of course) that bad mouth them don't own them and only repeat what others have said about them. Anybody who has something good to say owns one and shoots it a lot, without any issues. Take that for what it's worth.

You WILL have to check them for canted gas blocks and front sights. You CAN find a straight one. Mine is perfect. I'd have no problems buying another WASR. I think if I had to get another AK varient, I'd hunt down a Galil in .308

OP - Like you, I already had a 5.56 carbine (in my case, a Mini 14). I wanted something in a .30, though, for better penetration against light cover. After considering all the usual suspects (and my budget), I got a package Marlin 336 lever gun in .30-30 NIB for less than $500. Rifle, sling, and scope - all ready to go out of the box.

As a civilian, I do not anticipate ever needing a 30-rd mag to defend myself. I actually like the tube mags on my lever gun and shotgun - they can't be lost, and you don't need to worry about carrying a bunch of spare mags around...just extra ammo. And they can be topped off as you go.

If you want to run an optic, it is much easier to mount on a lever gun than on an AK or SKS.

Don't mean to derail your thread, but did want to offer up an option you might not have considered.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I love my WASR, put some ATI foregrips on it and a drop grip, run polymer mags, and I absolutley love my rifle. I would trust it with my life, and if the fit hits the shan I would prefer to have my AK with me than any other rifle. Then again perhaps I am skewed as it is my rifle.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I bought a WASR-10/63 from a gun show for $375 or so in Februrary 2010. I've put several thousand rounds through it and have not had a single malfunction or issue. (I've only used cheap steel case ammo and surplus steel magazines.) I know people have complained about theirs, but mine has been perfect. It won't win any beauty contests (even after I refinished the wood) but it goes bang every time. It's more accurate than I am (with iron sights... have yet to put optics of any sort on it) so I have no complaints. The only modifications I have made (besides to the wood) is that I replaced the plastic grip a Hogue grip.

Cheap, but dependable in my case. It was imported by Century Arms. No cant. Very little magazine wobble with certain magazines, no mag wobble with others. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Don't be too apprehensive about WASR's if you can hand pick it. Never buy one online! I have run 1000+ through mine with no problems except for hollow points. Everthing else has been fine. Check for canted sights and gas block. Also if the GS will let you, disassemble the rifle and make sure the gas piston isn't bent. I paid $500 for my under folder which seems to be a little more than the fixed stock. Check for mag wobble as well. Don't expect it to be pretty. The finish is crap and the wood is too. Nothing a little sand paper and tounge oil wont fix. BTW I baked on Rustoleum BBQ pit paint on the all the metal and it hasn't come off yet after 6 months.
    I am seriously considering buying myself an AK. The Dunhams sporting goods store in the mall here has a clearence sale of a WASR for $295. The price seems really good.
    The problem is I no "NOTHING" about AK's!

I read here that you need to check the front sight to make sure it's not canted. Is this obvious just by looking down the sights? How much is acceptable? How difficult is it to fix if it is canted?

Also someone suggested disassembling the gun to check the gas piston. I don't know how to disassembly one. How do you tell if the gas piston is bent? Again, is it obvious to the newbie that has never held an AK?

I could really use a link to a site that has the straight poop on how to maintain, clean, and shoot an AK. One that had tips on selecting an AK would be even better.

Thanks for any help.

The AK Page of Drzero.org

How to take apart an AK-47

AK-47 Kalashnikov Information and Pictures

AK47World

Here are a few links - keep clicking and you'll soon be buried in data. I might add some more, so keep looking. A lot of folks here know a lot about AK's too.

The front site cant is when the site "leans" back as viewed from the side of the rifle. Pretty obvious. The front site should stand straight up, no lean at all.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Nice links Rock and Glock

The front sight block cants I experienced on some of my AK's was plain old crookedness when assembled.

You could see the front sight tower was to the left or right when looking down the barrel. Also if the front sight is adjusted dramatically to one side or the other that means it is canted some too.

Some is usually OK. Too much affects sight picture and accuracy for me

Link is one way to readjust FSB.
    Canted AK Front Sight Repair - YouTube
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I am seriously considering buying myself an AK. The Dunhams sporting goods store in the mall here has a clearence sale of a WASR for $295. The price seems really good.
    The problem is I no "NOTHING" about AK's!

I read here that you need to check the front sight to make sure it's not canted. Is this obvious just by looking down the sights? How much is acceptable? How difficult is it to fix if it is canted?

Also someone suggested disassembling the gun to check the gas piston. I don't know how to disassembly one. How do you tell if the gas piston is bent? Again, is it obvious to the newbie that has never held an AK?

I could really use a link to a site that has the straight poop on how to maintain, clean, and shoot an AK. One that had tips on selecting an AK would be even better.

Thanks for any help.

Try youtube. The Ak is probably the most simplictic of all to dissassemble. Pop off the dust cover and the internals pull right out. It is easy to visually inspect the gas piston. It's either straight or it isnt. As far as sights and gas block just look down the rifle as if aiming at a target. Very slight cant isnt going to throw you off target that much but then again its not the most accurate rifle to begin with. If your not looking for a showcase rifle the Wasr is not a bad choice.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links