ak47?

This is a discussion on ak47? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay here is the deal. I am going to spend no more than $600 on a AK. The more I think about it this is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: ak47?

Question ak47?

Okay here is the deal. I am going to spend no more than $600 on a AK. The more I think about it this is not a beautiful show gun its a rough rugged war rifle. Its a gun that functions no matter what. I have heard a LOTTTT of bad crap about century. I know someone who has 3 and loves them all the same. I spoke with a gun salesman yesterday who told me all the bad stuff on line about them was recycled BS they heard somewhere else. Then you have your snobs who say "buy once cry once" or " if you aren't spending close to $1000 your not getting a good AK. There is 10,000,000 kinds and I need help. I need personal experience from people who know. Not what you heard or something. Please. I am calling out for help so I don't waste hard earned money. This gun is a toy and a hand me down to my son because lets face it....the way things are going now....he probably wont be able to buy one later. I have been on j&g sales, Atlantic firearms, and buds gun shop. My MAX price is $600 folks. Not save $200 more and buy a arsenal or buy a saiga and convert. I don't have the skill or guts to try this. Sorry. Please help me out here
    Polish underfolder
    wasr 10
    Converted saiga????!?
    Thanks in advance

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I don't think it's Century, I'll find out later and get back to you, but a buddy of mine picked up an AK earlier this year for about $450. He's only had one problem with it, and that's the lever on the front of the gun to break it down occasionally rises up. But, I believe he bent it a little tighter to the frame.Other than that, no problems. Came with the full wood stock and foregrip.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

It's a gun that functions no matter what!!?,Think again I fought against and with this weapon system,"It Fails reguraly also",reliability with ammo,mags is the greatest problem,the action is loose for a reason to help with the reliability,I have seen this gun dropped and bend the gas rod tube and be a gaint club,and your accuracy also suffers because of this,Krebs and some other people can help with this,but you can spend upwards 1500-2000 ,When in Iraq the U.S bought Jordanian A.K.'s for about 35.00 american(new),I have seen a lot of WASR 10 at a local gunshop,seems like they are about 400-500,just checkaround.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Okay here is the deal. I am going to spend no more than $600 on a AK. The more I think about it this is not a beautiful show gun its a rough rugged war rifle. Its a gun that functions no matter what. I have heard a LOTTTT of bad crap about century. I know someone who has 3 and loves them all the same. I spoke with a gun salesman yesterday who told me all the bad stuff on line about them was recycled BS they heard somewhere else. Then you have your snobs who say "buy once cry once" or " if you aren't spending close to $1000 your not getting a good AK. There is 10,000,000 kinds and I need help. I need personal experience from people who know. Not what you heard or something. Please. I am calling out for help so I don't waste hard earned money. This gun is a toy and a hand me down to my son because lets face it....the way things are going now....he probably wont be able to buy one later. I have been on j&g sales, Atlantic firearms, and buds gun shop. My MAX price is $600 folks. Not save $200 more and buy a arsenal or buy a saiga and convert. I don't have the skill or guts to try this. Sorry. Please help me out here
    Polish underfolder
    wasr 10
    Converted saiga????!?
    Thanks in advance

I am pleased with my converted Saiga.

I did the conversion myself, and spent about $550. If you hire a pro to do it you might exceed your budget, but you would have one nice AK.

I've seen Chinese Mak-90s go for around $600. Everything that I've read speaks highly of them.

Romanian WASRs can be cheaper, you just gotta pay attention to make sure the front sight isn't canted.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I've got a Saiga 410 that I'm happy with. It was my first "play" gun and I did some mods myself (enough to make it legal). Lots of good things to be said for any of Saiga's guns. They are also a lot more than they were four years ago.
    I bought a WASR 10/63 underfolder just last week. I've only got 100 rounds through it and am very happy with it. And really happy with the price. I bought it local so I could handle it and check it out for myself. I'm not sure I would order one online, just because of what I have heard. The Saiga forum has a great thread on cheap Romanian WASR's. It's even fairly civil, lol. It's my cheap gun and I aim to keep it that way. And I wanted an AK that came with wood furniture and had that typical "AK" look. If I was going to turn it into a tactical style rifle with red dot and flashlight, I would have spent more. That's what my AR is for.

I have a Romanian WASR-10. I don't shoot it a whole lot, but in the 425 rds I've put through it so far the only failures have been on the initial outing when I wasn't thorough enough in taking out the sticky cosmoline grease; I can hardly blame the gun for that. Once I had properly cleaned it there was no problem at all. I would have no trouble recommending them, just make sure the front sight and gas tube are straight as canting is still not unheard of.

twc
    Quite a few ak47s under 600 here...AK 47 / 74 Rifles

Yea but they are all century arms and going to be sight un-seen. The only way this will work is if I buy and return if it looks like crap. I am just lost and confused......100 people say century arms is trash and 100 people say they are great.....

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Thanks..."twc" this looks like THE deal to me.
    AK-47 Rifle for Sale Atlantic Firearms.com
    I think I'll pick up one of these.

The only other thing you might want to consider "Mattman" is a Palmetto State Armory AR on sale for $599.00
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/8923.php
    From what I can tell "jonconsiglio" is the reigning AR expert here on DC, I saw another thread last week, where he said it was a pretty good weapon...just a thought
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

twc
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Thanks..."twc" this looks like THE deal to me.
    AK-47 Rifle for Sale Atlantic Firearms.com
    I think I'll pick up one of these.

The only other thing you might want to consider "Mattman" is a Palmetto State Armory AR on sale for $599.00
    Palmetto State Armory 16" M4A1 Carbine
    From what I can tell "jonconsiglio" is the reigning AR expert here on DC, I saw another thread last week, where he said it was a pretty good weapon...just a thought
    Oh check this out too Stubborn...Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Yea but they are all century arms and going to be sight un-seen. The only way this will work is if I buy and return if it looks like crap. I am just lost and confused......100 people say century arms is trash and 100 people say they are great.....
    I will say that I wouldn't recommend getting one sight unseen. If you can physically inspect one at the store and verify there is no cant you should be good to go. If you order one on the interwebs you'll probably be fine, but you are still rolling the dice. Again though, I ended up with a good one and it's been just fine so far.

twc
    For the record I ended up will a good century rifle as well. I have read that others weren't so lucky though.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    "Then you have your snobs who say "buy once cry once" or " if you aren't spending close to $1000 your not getting a good AK."

I'm a little confused by that statement, because experience in the IT industry as much as with guns bought and sold has proven that it's not a snobbish statement, but more the rule than the exception (I used to run on the bleeding edge of technology, but I got tired of the transfusions I need after I kept getting cut by it.). That doesn't mean that the higher price is a guarantee of higher quality, either. In general, though, some more than bargain-store pricing will usually be of benefit to you.

As for Century specifically, they have gone through ups and downs about Quality Control. The best advice I've gotten was to if possible examine the rifle before you buy one. Most of the defects that I'm aware of are pretty evident to a visual examination.

The best-quality baseline AKs are nowadays priced about the same as the best-quality baseline ARs. The day of the guaranteed-solid-product cheap AK is pretty much over with.
    My cats support the Second Amendment.

www.inshadowinlight.com

"Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

If you do not have experience with either an AK or M4/16, and are therefor neutral on the manual of arms, training and learning curve, you might consider a baseline M4/16. The cost is about the same, and to be honest, the parts and expertise available in the USA would push one away from an AK. Additionally, the M4/16 caliber will, over time, tend to be more available in the USA in the event of unforeseen restrictions. Countering that, the 7.62 X 39 is a less expensive ammo generally, thus less expensive to stock-pile. Some folks like the 7.62 better than the .223, or vice-versa.

AK's are a tad more difficult to install optics on than the M4/16's, and the M4/16's have some more options.

So, here are my personal bona fides: I bought a Norinco AK several years ago at a much lower price than now, because I had no experience with M4/16's. My biggest struggle there is an optic issue. Having invested in the weapon and the ammo, I am now reluctant to change, but hindsight being 20/20, and all other things being equal, I would probably go with an M4/16 now, even if I was forced to learn an entire new vocabulary.

Just my .02.

BTW, these entry level rifles from PSA and S&W are driving me crazy. I just might have to scratch that itch and see where it takes me.

I used to run on the bleeding edge of technology, but I got tired of the transfusions I need after I kept getting cut by it
    Yep.

The Egyptian Maadis used to be the cheapest at around about $200. They were a basic AK variant with what looked like a laminated plywood stock that made them lightweight. I had a Chinese Norinco Mac 90 variant that was an excellent gun. The stock was quite heavy/bulky though. They have a chrome-lined barrel and are very accurate. Used to bust rocks about size of grapefruits and such with it at around 200 yards open sights, no problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links