Best AR15 for less than $1k? Simple!

This is a discussion on Best AR15 for less than $1k? Simple! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; RKM......my spikes tactical came in my opinion better equipped than any colt even.close to its price. $1100 I got a tricked out spikes mid length ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Best AR15 for less than $1k? Simple!

RKM......my spikes tactical came in my opinion better equipped than any colt even.close to its price. $1100 I got a tricked out spikes mid length that I have personally ran circles around colts with....just saying....your not going to get battle trigger, extra heavy buffer, nickel boron bcg, kns pins and magpul furniture for that range..... plus a soft case and spikes swag!!

2. Remove Ads

I am leaning towards a spikes or Palmetto.

I would like one capable of defensive use, but what are the odds I will need to bring it out. Can't rationalize much more than the $800 for an AR. Can't see $500 for an optic either. Will be testing out a sparc. Maybe it would fail over in Afghanistan, but it should do fine in the safe and at the range once a month.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The issue with the low end rifle like DPMS and Olympic, and even Bushmaster and Rock River is the guns are not build to milspec....plain and simple. That does not mean they are cheap crappy rifles, it means they are generally not produced using the same steel for the barrels and BCG, and the Milspec testing of these components, and some other detailing (properly staked gas keys for example) that is required by military specifications. I have used DPMS lowers and lower group parts for builds but I don't use their BCG's and uppers or barrels.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I am leaning towards a spikes or Palmetto.

I would like one capable of defensive use, but what are the odds I will need to bring it out. Can't rationalize much more than the $800 for an AR. Can't see $500 for an optic either. Will be testing out a sparc. Maybe it would fail over in Afghanistan, but it should do fine in the safe and at the range once a month.
    Spikes or Palmetto State Armory is a great choice. PSA has the best deals in milspec uppers and complete rifles going today IMO. For optics on a budget look at the red dots made by Primary Arms. They are some of the best "clones" produced.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Red_Dot_...Arms_s/903.htm
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

+1000000 on primary arms.....they are awesome. Look up sixto review of his.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    +1000000 on primary arms.....they are awesome. Look up sixto review of his.
    I did a review of primary arms?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I am so sorry sixto I meant rollo.....my deepest apologies.....I just like reading your post also! Lol

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    I am so sorry sixto I meant rollo.....my deepest apologies.....I just like reading your post also! Lol
    You scared me there... I'm getting old, but I didnt think I was that old to not remember doing a review.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would stick to irons before I used a red dot clone for anything other than basic plinking... And I mean plinking, not training. When training, running drills, etc., I would not use any type of clone. Something as simple as a slight zero shift could completely ruin a day of training if you didn't catch it right away.

I'm not knocking anyone that uses them. I'm sure they're fine for most applications, I'm just suggesting to stay away from anything not professional grade IF it's being used for any serious purpose. Just to be clear, one of my biggest concerns would be zero shift, which happens with cheaper optics after an impact, remounting, rapid or stronger recoil, etc. I'd be more concerned about zero shift than I would it just completely failing.

*Disclaimer - when I talk about quality, I'm always looking at it from the perspective of a fighting rifle for defensive/training/work use, not plinking. If you have no intention of using a rifle for anything other than some weekend fun, then I see no reason not to buy one and would probably recommend it over an Aimpoint due to cost. Just so nobody thinks I'm being an elitist or saying you have to always buy the best and most expensive. ;)
    azchevy and OD* like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    *Disclaimer - when I talk about quality, I'm always looking at it from the perspective of a fighting rifle for defensive/training/work use, not plinking. If you have no intention of using a rifle for anything other than some weekend fun, then I see no reason not to buy one and would probably recommend it over an Aimpoint due to cost. Just so nobody thinks I'm being an elitist or saying you have to always buy the best and most expensive. ;)
    LOL. You may as well make that part of your signature.

'Always appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I did a review of primary arms?
    you must have forgot to. go buy on and let us know what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    LOL. You may as well make that part of your signature.

'Always appreciate your input.
    Tell me about it... People take things so literal some times!

That's actually not a bad idea, maybe I will put something like that in my signature.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Tell me about it... People take things so literal some times!
    Hey Jon, what about the colt? What do you think?
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

One thing I have learned by unfortunate experience. Never compromise on optics because it will always bite you when you need it most.

I have one AR that is my old reliable..... good truck gun, good patrol rifle K.I.S.S. Takes a beating and keeps on shooting. Accurate and rough.

IMG_3010 (Large).jpg

but I also have a high dollar hunting rig I use for long range yote, rabbit, and prairie dog hunting and it is well over 1K due to the optics, HB, and accessories that I feel make it a comfortable shooter......

IMG_3009 (Large).jpg

So I say it depends on the use. Hunting small game is my passion so I want my gear to be MOA accurate, top quality, and reliable. I am willing to pay for that so I can make pinpoint accurate kill shots on small game at 200 yards +

ar5.JPGar6.JPG

I agree best complete M4 copy SA carbine for under 1k.

Now if they offered a complete dissipator style carbine...I'd be all over it....but wouldn't be under a grand though......

I absolutely love the way the Dissipators are setup, so easy to shoot with my style of shooting. The closest Mil-Spec upper that is a dissipator style was the PSA Mock Dissipator with middy gas.... Without haveing to do custom work of my own.

Dissipator = Riflemans carbine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links