Best AR15 for less than $1k? Simple!

This is a discussion on Best AR15 for less than $1k? Simple! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by pirate Spikes or Palmetto State Armory is a great choice. PSA has the best deals in milspec uppers and complete rifles going ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Best AR15 for less than $1k? Simple!

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Spikes or Palmetto State Armory is a great choice. PSA has the best deals in milspec uppers and complete rifles going today IMO. For optics on a budget look at the red dots made by Primary Arms. They are some of the best "clones" produced.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Red_Dot_...Arms_s/903.htm
    I will probably give PSA a try. For $600-750 I could do pretty well it looks like. Its not a hard use gun. Will have a few mags loaded and set aside. Mostly range work. May see a course or two. Will reassess after if needed.

2. Remove Ads

Highly doubt you'll be dissapointed. Just ran my PSA upper through the ringer just the past holiday 800rounds in one day! Was put on a FA lower. Not my ammo of course, and I didn't shoot the full auto. Solidified my confidence in this upper.

Heck, if I didn't have to get 8 new tires for my two Subaru's...I'd go get the Colt right now. Tires are more important in my current life style than ANOTHER firearm......Agghh, wife coming out through me.
    Mattmann likes this.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post

*Disclaimer - when I talk about quality, I'm always looking at it from the perspective of a fighting rifle for defensive/training/work use, not plinking. If you have no intention of using a rifle for anything other than some weekend fun, then I see no reason not to buy one and would probably recommend it over an Aimpoint due to cost. Just so nobody thinks I'm being an elitist or saying you have to always buy the best and most expensive. ;)
    I run EoTech's on my Go To rifles, and on my play toys I have several Primary Arms optics, which in reality have proven 100% reliabale to date. But as you stated when the SHTF I want hard use proven optics on my weapon.

azchevy likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

RKM
    I really like Primary Arms red dots. I've watched video's of guys throwing them around, and abusing them. They seem to be able to handle it. Though, my PA red dot will likely never see abuse. And if it does, it likely won't be enough to affect it.

If I KNEW my rifle would take serious abuse, I'd probably spend the money for a good optic. Aimpoint and Eotech immediately come to mind.

Well, I'm of the mind set of....If I KNEW I'd see day to day hard/combat use...I'd be utter basic's and irons only..no flip-ups.

I just put a SPARC on mine, which was on another rifle for a while. As I'm still debating if I really want any thing like that on my carbine. If I decide I'm going red dot.....then the H1 is where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    Well, I'm of the mind set of....If I KNEW I'd see day to day hard/combat use...I'd be utter basic's and irons only..no flip-ups.

I just put a SPARC on mine, which was on another rifle for a while. As I'm still debating if I really want any thing like that on my carbine. If I decide I'm going red dot.....then the H1 is where it's at.
    I thought that way for quite a while. Recently though, my opinion has changed in that flip ups are fine for even the hardest use as long as I'm running something like an Aimpoint. I usually have a magnifier with me, so I need at least the rear to be a flip up. I've recently started leaving them down since the Aimpoints are so robust. I've had a couple take a serious impact and never loose zero.

Since the SOPMOD Block 2, special operations is running flip up irons or actually some run none at all. But, they are always running a PEQ 15, so that also qualifies as a back up. I won't go that far and even with a laser I want irons.

After watching the Daniel Defense torture test, I'm even more sold on setting it up this way. I hear you thou on running fixed irons. Absolutely nothing wrong with that and it's a solid set up. If I was setting up a rifle now with fixed irons, I'd go with an LMT rear and still run an Aimpoint. I'm thinking of doing another 14.5", this time with a fixed front but keep the KAC rear so I can keep the twist mount base for my Aimpoint 3x.

If anyone hasn't seen the Vicker/Daniel Defense video, I highly recommend watching it. The rifle has an FSB but the one thing we don't see is if it still holds zero. We know the T1 stays close even after getting run over by a truck, shot with a shotgun, a broken rear lens after tannerite blows a steel plate into it, falling from a helicopter, etc. that's pretty hardcore performance. What's very interesting about it is that some of the scenes had to be repeated a couple times and it was the same rifle from the beginning.

If the rifle looks like it's bent in the photo on the site, it's due to the bulging/pincushion effect of the wide angle lens.

https://danieldefense.com/Torturetest
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I thought that way for quite a while. Recently though, my opinion has changed in that flip ups are fine for even the hardest use as long as I'm running something like an Aimpoint. I usually have a magnifier with me, so I need at least the rear to be a flip up. I've recently started leaving them down since the Aimpoints are so robust. I've had a couple take a serious impact and never loose zero.

Since the SOPMOD Block 2, special operations is running flip up irons or actually some run none at all. But, they are always running a PEQ 15, so that also qualifies as a back up. I won't go that far and even with a laser I want irons.

After watching the Daniel Defense torture test, I'm even more sold on setting it up this way. I hear you thou on running fixed irons. Absolutely nothing wrong with that and it's a solid set up. If I was setting up a rifle now with fixed irons, I'd go with an LMT rear and still run an Aimpoint. I'm thinking of doing another 14.5", this time with a fixed front but keep the KAC rear so I can keep the twist mount base for my Aimpoint 3x.

If anyone hasn't seen the Vicker/Daniel Defense video, I highly recommend watching it. The rifle has an FSB but the one thing we don't see is if it still holds zero. We know the T1 stays close even after getting run over by a truck, shot with a shotgun, a broken rear lens after tannerite blows a steel plate into it, falling from a helicopter, etc. that's pretty hardcore performance. What's very interesting about it is that some of the scenes had to be repeated a couple times and it was the same rifle from the beginning.

If the rifle looks like it's bent in the photo on the site, it's due to the bulging/pincushion effect of the wide angle lens.

https://danieldefense.com/Torturetest
    You were right, that is something....

M4 Torture test Promo - YouTube
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

"Less is more" is the way I enjoy the AR 15. Matter of fact, if I was required to accessorize the rifle to the extent that most choose to add on, then I'd get out of the AR 15 business. It's handiest and most effective when it is not festooned with "dress-up" doo-dads like a little girl's dolly. No forward bolt assist, no scope, no preference for 30 round magazines, no aftermarket stock kits, and with a 1 in 12" barrel. Just plain vanilla.

This Colt SP-1 was picked up used at the Fort Worth Convention Center gun show sometime in the late 1980s. It was manufactured in 1972. I think I recall talking the guy down from $450 to $420 at the time. It had a checkered past with unknown treatment and unknown number of rounds fired as indicated by a stupid "Hell-Fire" unit attached to its trigger. That was immediately snatched off of there as so much baggage. Since that time its seen a modicum of high-power competition in the past, though mostly in the hands of my wife or my two boys. It's seen some hard, long days training rotations of 4H kids. It's been used for a lot of fun plinking out in the country and a good deal of entertaining bench rest fun when used with various handloads. It's always seemed pretty durable for what it is. It sees use as a truck gun when I go out to our old family place on the lake. Have shown this photo before but here it is in action with my wife showing some timorous women-folk how to irrigate the landscape with the AR 15 and a gallon milk jug full of lake water out at our old place. They hadn't been around firearms before and were reluctant to shoot.

I figure one of these days vision will begin to fail so picked up a scope mounting system last year at a good price to squirrel away until needed. Otherwise the factory iron sights are still highly effective.

Colt is a good manufacturer if this one is any example. This rifle's seen a good deal of both military ball and commercial ammo along with handloaded ammo poured through it over the years. The firing pin tip showed erosion when I got it which gave ugly fired primers but that was an easy replacement.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Well, I'll have to disagree that it's most effective when not "dressed up"... Now, you may prefer that set up, and that's awesome, I have one as well... But, all things being equal, I guarantee that 99% will be faster, more accurate and more effective with a red dot, a light, a quality adjustable two point sling, etc.

I know what you meant, don't get me wrong. The way you stated it though made it sound like having a rifle with modern technology, that without a doubt makes it more effective, somehow made the rifle LESS effective. ;)

"a little girl's dolly" - I swear...! :D

If you did mean it, you need to join the other guys from here that we're trying to get together for a trip down this way so I can kick you in the........arm.

Just so nobody thinks I'm a hater...

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Hey Jon;

When are y'all having your wing-ding?
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Absolutely no idea yet. What I'll do is try to come up with something general with a few members then make a thread about it in this subforum. It'll be after the holidays for sure, just not sure yet exactly when. It'll be a good time whenever it is!

consider moving it into Ohio. wait until spring though.

it's cold.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Nice review. I like the KISS concept myself...some of the AR threads get so convoluted they make my poor feeble brain hurt.
    I agree with the KISS principle. Too many mall ninjas put way too many electronis and gadgets on their AR's...Their not professionals, but pretend to be.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Yeah.
    Lets go to the range, i have a dpms

I have already said and planned on getting an AR15 as simlar as the M16 I had when I was in the military. Just simple like the Colt 6920. My LGS has one for under $1k. Thanks for sharing. God Bless

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links