Mossberg 590

This is a discussion on Mossberg 590 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just put a 590 on layaway for $50/month for 5 months. I am really looking forward to firing this gun. It just seems to ...

Thread: Mossberg 590

Talking Mossberg 590

I just put a 590 on layaway for $50/month for 5 months. I am really looking forward to firing this gun. It just seems to fit more naturally than my 870. Plus, the controls are a lot more ergonomically set up.

Does anyone have any add-on suggestions, and places I should look for them?

Overall, what are any suggestions or comments by owners?

Thanks 45
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Those 590's are sweet right out of the box....
    If it's only for home defense, you may want an extended tube...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Extended mag, any Knoxx stock, Mesa Tactical side saddle, and a Surefire forearm would make it perfect. But it will work well from the start.

Which 590 did you get? It should already have an extended mag tube. +1 on the side saddle and if it does not have the ghost rings then you might think about one of the hi viz front beads.Also ditch the butt pad(hard as a rock) and get a limb savers. +1 on the forend light as well. That is my next purchase.
    "Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."-Captain John Parker

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Just bought mine for bears, mine has the 20" barrel and ghost ring sights, a bit heavier than my 500, but better suited for what I will be using it for. It's a 9 shot with 20" so no really need to extend the tube. x2 on the pad and I recommand a heat shield (advantage arms is cheap) for doing a lot of shooting and next will be the SpecOps stock for me. I like the Mossberg controls. the trigger is a like stiff out of the box and for the first 10 rds it was sticky, but it's great now.

It comes with the heat shield on; I'm not too sure about putting on ghost ring sights yet, but do want a sidesaddle. The forearm light will be next for the 870, since it is the house gun, but the 590 is more of a range gun for now.

Thanks for the advice on the limbsaver recoil pads, will have to check them out.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

If you want something better than the gold bead sight it comes with these are cheap and seem to help me pick up the front sight easier https://www.hivizsights.com/cart/shopexd.asp?id=57
    "Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."-Captain John Parker

My 590 is pretty simple, the only thing I've added is a side saddle. I'm planning on a surefire 923FA, and either a Mossberg 13" or a Houge 12" LOP stock. I may go with a collapsable, just havent had the chance to "test drive" any.

I had a Hi-Viz sight on my 500. I didnt like it, the big, bright colored dot was too distracting for me.

I'm not a fan of any recoil-reducing gagets either.

I don't think I'll do the hi-viz sight, but some of the other options sound great.

Just picked it up after work, couldn't bear waiting any longer! Was amazed that it swallowed 8 rds, compared to 6 in my 870. Plus it had sling swivels, and then I noticed something that seemed familiar. I'd seen in on my A2 in San Diego, and on my AR. That's right a bayonet lug my M7 fits on it he he he!!

Just ordered a four-shot side saddle for it. Not exactly sure what else I wanna add, but there will be more.

Can anyone recommend a good sling and ammo carrier, preferably ammo worn on the belt. I want to take this small game hunting. I know a .22 would be better but can't use rifle and this is the only shotgun with sling swivels.

Administrator
    You just need one of these bandoliers to hold those extra 56 rounds & you're good to go!

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links