First Foray into Defensive Rifles and Shotguns

This is a discussion on First Foray into Defensive Rifles and Shotguns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am in the process of learning about defensive weapons and have done a fair amount of research, but since my experience is limited at ...

Thread: First Foray into Defensive Rifles and Shotguns

First Foray into Defensive Rifles and Shotguns

I am in the process of learning about defensive weapons and have done a fair amount of research, but since my experience is limited at this point I'd love to get some unbiased feedback regarding my choices. I am in the market for a rifle, shotgun, and handgun. Based on personal research and visits to two of the bigger gun shops in my area I have narrowed my choices to the following:

Rifle (AR 15)
    Noveske 16" Recon 5.56mm

I have been told these are two of the top manufacturers for this type of rifle.

Shotgun
    Remington Model 870 Wingmaster

Most people seem to love this old standby.

Handgun
    Sig Sauer P226 .40

Tried many handguns. In my experience this felt the best.

I am looking for feedback on these choices and also a suggestion on a scope for the rifle. Any comments would be very much appreciated (even if you hate these choices). Thanks a lot for any assistance you can provide!
    Last edited by Tarkus; December 4th, 2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Based on replies. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Those look like solid choices to me.

Now comes the fun part buying them and practicing to become proficient with them.

Don't be surprised if down the road you feel the need to try something else or add other options
    to your inventory.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Same here. Looks like great, and expensive, choices!
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
    I am in the process of learning about defensive weapons and have done a fair amount of research, but since my experience is limited at this point I'd love to get some unbiased feedback regarding my choices. I am in the market for a rifle, shotgun, and handgun. Based on personal research and visits to two of the bigger gun shops in my area I have narrowed my choices to the following:

Rifle (AR 15)
    Noveske 16" Recon 5.56mm
    or
    LMT CQB MRP Defender Model 16 5.56

I have been told these are two of the top manufacturers for this type of rifle.

I am looking for feedback on these choices and also a suggestion on a scope for the rifle. Any comments would be very much appreciated (even if you hate these choices). Thanks a lot for any assistance you can provide!
    As far as AR platform rifles. I would assume from your options you have listed that you are willing to pay for top quality. Which is good IMO. Price and quality are not always synonymous, but often top quality and reliability does have a certain price point. People will ofter many opinons here so as always take them with a large grain of salt. Your AR options are certainly the high end of the AR market and LMT and Noveske along with Daniel Defense are generally considered the top makers. But that being said rifles by BCM and Spikes Tactical are very high quality milspec rifles that can be found for under 1k. You should consider these companies also in your research. As far as optics for the rifle. I would get the rifle and train with iron sights first and then add optics later after you get comfortable with the irons. Depending on what you want to use the rifle for has a lot do do with the optics (scope or electronic sight system).
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

As a side note, it looks like you are willing to go all out on the price point for your rifle, however, that shotgun is Remington's entry level HD 870. The "express" guns aren't quite up to par with the Police and Wingmaster models for hard usage. Odds are an express will outlive the lifespan most user will put it through, but just something to consider.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ducmonster View Post
    Those look like solid choices to me.

Now comes the fun part buying them and practicing to become proficient with them.

Don't be surprised if down the road you feel the need to try something else or add other options
    to your inventory.
    +1

That was the ancient Jedi mind trick I used on myself several years ago, and about 8 firearms ago.....lol...

YMMV,
    boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Agree with Buckeye on the Express, check out local pawn shops and LE stores for a used Wingmaster or police trade in. I picked up a police trade-in 870 Magnum from before Remington engraving them Police for $250. Little bit of rack wear, but it's just cosmetic.

As for rifles, both are good choice, but I would go with Noveske for flexibility in setups.

One more vote here to skip the 870 Express and go for the Police models. Better internal parts and more care taken in assembly.

For the rifle - the optic you choose is highly dependent on the gun's intended use. If it's a defensive weapon, my view is that you are best served with a red dot sight, such as the Aimpoint T1/H1, or the reportedly less-robust EOTech models (I have 1 of each - both great, no problems with the EOT so far). If hunting or the ability to hit smallish things beyond 100 yards is important to you, then a conventional scope is probably the way to go.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for all the replies! I've updated the original post based on suggestions here. I don't splurge on a lot of things, but when it comes home defense I don't see the point in skimping if you can afford it. The idea of waiting on the scope and seeing how the rifle ends up being used makes a lot of sense. Any more inputs would be appreciated as well. You folks have been very helpful. Thanks!

I am also toying with the idea of teaching my young son (9-years old) to shoot. He's asked to learn and is a pretty athletic kid. My research has led to the following choices:

Rifles for Children
    Ruger 10/22 Compact
    CZ 452 Scout

Any inputs on these rifles and the idea of teaching young children to shoot?

Concur on the hardware...

The real question is--what money have you set aside for training courses (and ammo!) to properly employ said hardware. It's one thing to buy the Gucci gear, it's another thing to properly use them without looking like a Fudd.

I also recommend getting a mix of GI and MAGPUL PMAGs for your Noveske. I also recommend experimenting with a simple two-point sling and a single-point sling (I will admit I like MAGPUL gear)--you need to figure out what works best for you, not what someone on the internet (or who you pay for training) says is the best. If you can use/employ it properly to achieve the same effect, go with it.

Finally, read alot....read the stickies over at m4carbine.net...they don't suffer fools there, so read and use their search function--guarantee your question has been asked and answered there at least a dozen times...they know the M4 (and variant) weapon system inside and out.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I am also toying with the idea of teaching my young son (9-years old) to shoot. He's asked to learn and is a pretty athletic kid. My research has led to the following choices:

Rifles for Children
    Ruger 10/22 Compact
    CZ 452 Scout

I've had a 10/22 since I was 14 years old (I'm 45 now). You never outgrow it, you learn all the good gun rules with it, it's cheap to shoot up a lot of ammo, there's tons of mods and accessories for it, and there's probably one for under $250 at your local pawn/used gun shop.

Thanks for all the replies! I've updated the original post based on suggestions here. I don't splurge on a lot of things, but when it comes home defense I don't see the point in skimping if you can afford it. The idea of waiting on the scope and seeing how the rifle ends up being used makes a lot of sense. Any more inputs would be appreciated as well. You folks have been very helpful. Thanks!

Rifles for Children
    Ruger 10/22 Compact
    CZ 452 Scout

I'd get the standard-size 10/22; the stock is already fairly short, and your kid won't stay small for long. A simple scope like the Simmons 22 Mag (under $50) makes teaching marksmanship easier at first (sounds backwards to us old poops, I know). Some folks reject the idea of handing a kid an autoloader, but nothing keeps you from handing over 1 round at a time.

Once you get Junior used to the gun and hitting what he aims at, a really great way to learn marksmanship (and some important American history) is to attend an Appleseed event. Read about it here: Project Appleseed Home
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links