AR vs AK: Let's talk about accuracy

This is a discussion on AR vs AK: Let's talk about accuracy within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With either my AK or my AR, I'm not really concerned with accuracy much past 100 yards for defensive purposes. They both do good enough ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: AR vs AK: Let's talk about accuracy

RKM
    With either my AK or my AR, I'm not really concerned with accuracy much past 100 yards for defensive purposes. They both do good enough at that distance. If I really need to somehow "justifiably" defend myself past 150 yards or so, I'll use a different rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    My ARs (plural) are reliable enough to shoot every round that I can carry. Do I need to clean them every now and then? Yup, but not nearly as often as people think I do.
    You're supposed to clean them? Crap.
    As far as accuracy goes, coke cans and golf balls at 150 yards is OK with me....Colt SP-1

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I'll take my WASR-10 over an AR any day of the week. Its more comfortable for me to run than an AR, I enjoy shooting it, and I have had no trouble accessorizing it to my comfort level. Why take something finicky, and add some expensive gadgets to it when I can spend five hundred on an AK and run it reliably on irons?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

There really is no question that an AR is more acuratte at distance than ak AK. But the Ak is far more reliable than an AR. Also, with my AK and iron sights I can hit a mansized target at 200 yds in the kill zone, if I miss it's not the Ak it me.But on my place I have three shooting ranges too.

On the AR's side it is far ligher and easier and much less tiring to carry. You cna carry more ammon for it too than with an AK weight wise.

I like my AR and having a class 3 my M4 especially (4 position selector). But if if I had to decide, it would be tough between the two, that is the M4 and AK (Mak90).The decision would turn on: 'am I dealing with the end of the world apocylypse? (: if so its the AK, if not the M4.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I'll take my WASR-10 over an AR any day of the week. Its more comfortable for me to run than an AR, I enjoy shooting it, and I have had no trouble accessorizing it to my comfort level. Why take something finicky, and add some expensive gadgets to it when I can spend five hundred on an AK and run it reliably on irons?
    Finicky? Of the ARs you've personally owned and shot regularly, what particular manufacturers and models were finicky...and with what ammo, after how many rounds and under what exact circumstances?

At the last advanced carbine class where all the students were getting into awkward positions, fired somewhere between 800 and 1,500 rounds in 3 days or so and got their guns dirty and likely very hot, how many failed in any way whatsoever?

Also, what expensive gadgets are you taking about? Are you saying those "gadgets" serve no purpose? Are you also saying that owning an AR obligates you to hanging some type of costly "gadget" from it?
    atctimmy likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Personally, if own any "fighting rifle" and it can't handle hard use, it's gone. There's no "finicky" rifles in my collection and none fail for any reason other than bad mags 99.9% of the time.

I'm no light shooter...so I guess I'm just confused as to where people are finding these ARs that don't run well.
    tacman605 and TN_Mike like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post

I'm no light shooter...so I guess I'm just confused as to where people are finding these ARs that don't run well.
    Most modern quality firearms that have reliability issues are caused by operator error in one form or another. Its not always the case but more times than not it is. Be it lack of proper maintenance or just the simple fact the owner/operator is not properly trained and they don't know how to use the weapon correctly. I don't know how many times I have seen failures because of lack of maintenance or some guy who cleans or services his rifle and then re-assembles his weapon incorrectly.
    Last edited by pirate; December 8th, 2011 at 11:09 AM.
    jonconsiglio and tacman605 like this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have a Siaga Shotgun that now it is converted is accurate for chest shots out to 150. At 100 its more like headshots with the red dot. I am not experienced or well trained, just basic stuff from younger kid rifle classes and police academy stuff.

My Saiga in .308 is crap, but I havent completed the trigger job on it. The modified Saiga with Trigger job that my friend has in .308 easily reaches out to 600. I bet if I got training I could do 800. There is one guy at the range who regularly hits at 1000 but he has I think a lot of training and his Saiga is far more customized.

But for basically 450 plus 150 for the conversion and then a scope, I feel very comfortable with my Siaga in .308. Trigger job is getting done over christmas as we have a bunch of guys who will be converting em together.

I like the Saigas for the reliability, the lack of tender loving care needed. It just seems to work better for me personally as someone who is not a professional, not using this for SD unless something really hit the fan. Its fun to shoot and is reliable.

I am eyeing a ruger mini 14 though. i really liked one I test shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Personally, if own any "fighting rifle" and it can't handle hard use, it's gone. There's no "finicky" rifles in my collection and none fail for any reason other than bad mags 99.9% of the time.

Well, I'm willing to concede that my M16s in the Army might not have been as well maintained as civilian guns tend to be. It was also fed with mags that were originally designed to be single use, throw-away items - but which were instead used over and over again. And we used them a lot with blanks (which tend to be dirty shooting ammo) for training with MILES gear, which led to some really badly encrusted receivers, bolts, and carrier groups (a situation made worse by the DI gas system and the heat it brings into the receiver).

All that said, when we shot our M16s in Somalia (at the range we set up - I fortunately never needed to use it for anything other than as a club), they did not fare too well with all the blowing, fine red sand (more like dust) that got into everything over there. This despite trying to keep them as clean as we could. We all got really familiar with SPORTS.

Everyone's experiences tend to be different - different time, different place, different situation. I'll concede that for the average civilian, an AR (or any rifle, really) will be more than adequate for the task of self defense. Based on MY experience, I will not run anything with a DI gas system.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    In general, ARs are more reliable than many that haven't examined the matter think, and AKs are more accurate than many that haven't examined the matter think. That's the one-sentence summary as I see it.
    TN_Mike, azchevy and jonconsiglio like this.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    AR vs AK: Let's talk...
    How disappointing, I thought this thread was Arkansas vs. Alaska, BUMMER!
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Administrator
    The Israeli Military Industries Galil.
    The best of both worlds w/ regard to Extreme Accuracy & Unreal Reliability.

The are a few downsides though.

> These Days ~ The Unreal PRICE$$$
    > Original IMI Steel Mags are comparatively expensive & on the heavy side - The Orlite mags work great though & weigh lots less.
    > Receiver milled from solid block of steel increases weight.
    > Original IMI accessories are quite expensive...I don't want to say what I recently paid for an IMI optics mount.

Mine are early import Magnum Research & I bought them when prices were (expensive for back then) but, LOTS cheaper than today.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The Israeli Military Industries Galil.
    The best of both worlds w/ regard to Extreme Accuracy & Unreal Reliability.

The are a few downsides though.

> These Days ~ The Unreal PRICE$$$
    > Original IMI Steel Mags are comparatively expensive & on the heavy side - The Orlite mags work great though & weigh lots less.
    > Receiver milled from solid block of steel increases weight.
    > Original IMI accessories are quite expensive...I don't want to say what I recently paid for an IMI optics mount.

Mine are early import Magnum Research & I bought them when prices were (expensive for back then) but, LOTS cheaper than today.
    I briefly looked at them in a moment of frustration in backorders and no responses to orders and tossing my AR build out the window and just rounding out my IMI carry status (my carry is the Baby Eagle/Jericho). My but puckered harder than the AR caused it to. $3k for a naked gun....:shudder:

You see me sporting one, I hit the lotto.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I just have one of each. Took care of that problem.

Although I have had mixed results. I had an axis pin break on my first AK after about 400 rounds. I have ran an AR dry with steel cased ammo. Seems like a toss up to me.

At least I know I can shoot an AR a little better. Need to change out the AK to a peep hole sight.

I just have one of each. Took care of that problem.

Although I have had mixed results. I had an axis pin break on my first AK after about 400 rounds. I have ran an AR dry with steel cased ammo. Seems like a toss up to me.

At least I know I can shoot an AR a little better. Need to change out the AK to a peep hole sight.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links