Magpul STR vs. VLTOR IMOD vs. B5 SOPMOD

This is a discussion on Magpul STR vs. VLTOR IMOD vs. B5 SOPMOD within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been wanting a storage type stock that won't destroy me financially. I like not only the storage feature, but the "A" frame for a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jonconsiglio

Thread: Magpul STR vs. VLTOR IMOD vs. B5 SOPMOD

I've been wanting a storage type stock that won't destroy me financially. I like not only the storage feature, but the "A" frame for a more comfortable cheekweld. I've wanted the LMT SOPMOD for over a year, but could never justify the $200. Now, I'm late to discover the B5 SOPMOD stock at half the price. At the same time, Magpul has released their STR, basically the CTR/MOE but with storage. Never really liked the VLTOR IMOD much, but it's a good option and in my price range. I'm worried the zigzag is going to catch facial hair. I already have mustache hairs get stuck between the receiver extension and stock with my MOE. It sucks. I'm thinking the friction lock of the STR (and CTR) would help prevent that. I've gotten in the habit of using the charging handle and tip of my nose as reference, though my check is still on the stock, but my upper lip area rests right on the seam between stock and extension.

Or...... just keep the MOE? Is upgrading to either of those 3 really worth it? They're all priced right about $100.

Magpul STR STRô - Storage/Type Restricted - STRô Carbine Stock – Mil-Spec Model

VLTOR IMOD Vltor Basic IMod Stock - Standard

B5 SOPMOD Enhanced SOPMOD Buttstock at G&R Tactical

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I like magpul stuff alot, just my two cents.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Magpul didn't catch my scruff when I used one. The guy who owned the gun expressed the same concern about facial hair, and the magpul solved it for him.

Maybe he will chime in soon...

For a sloped stock it's very hard to beat the SOPMOD. The iMod is also a great choice but after getting facial hair snagged in my modstock, I'm hesitant to buy another, though I'll give it another try eventually. Magpul is my last choice for that type of stock. MOE and CTR stocks are nice but for sloped,it's one of the other two for me.

The bottom of the stock will make the biggest difference. The contour of the iMod is nice in a low ready, but the SOPMOD's flat rubber pad works well too and it's easy to place by feel, if that makes sense.
    INccwchris likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I like the Magpul STR for a few reasons. It's new and different, but it has the same look as my current MOE. The VLTOR IMOD... ehh, it just doesn't look very good. It's "busy", but it's listed at a good price so I figured I'd include it. The SOPMOD is just simple, which I love about it. There aren't any seams along the cheek weld as there are with both the Magpul and IMOD. And now that there is a version at a fraction of the cost of the LMT, I think it'll be perfect. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to make a purchase, there will still be some left.

I use the LMT sopmod,actually bought it and took it on 3 tod's,very comfortable,and has battery storage,but is only available for mil-spec tubes,so check your tube first,see if yours is mil-spec(4 position),commercial(6 position).

Mine is 6 position, but it's mil-Spec. I have a mil-spec MOE on there now. AKAIK, not all mil-spec receiver extensions are 4 position.

Got the B5 SOPMOD from G&R tactical. Was reading a lot of guys saying when it's fully collapsed it gets very very tight. Mine also gets very tight, but it's not unbearable. I have mine set mine 2 clicks from full collapsed. It locks up solid. The cheek weld is great. I don't get my facial hair stuck in the gap between the stock and buffer tube like I was with my MOE (the friction lock of the CTR I'm sure would have solved that). I think I'm going to like it, though the MOE stock isn't going anywhere. I'm going to hang on to it for my "next AR", if I can afford to buy or build one. I'd like a dedicated 300 blackout AR.... maybe. Maybe I'll stick with 5.56 of maybe get an M&P-15-22 and put it on that. We'll see.

Anyway here are some quick snaps I took on my bedroom floor.

Those B5's are a great deal. I have 2 SOPMODs but need another. I'd like to compare them side by side as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Mine is 6 position, but it's mil-Spec. I have a mil-spec MOE on there now. AKAIK, not all mil-spec receiver extensions are 4 position.
    Yep, milspec tubes will also be 6 position. The easiest way to tell what type you have (you can usually tell by the stock since most aren't available for commercial and the Magpul that are, for example, have a different pad) is the rear of the extension, whether it's flat or sloped, or the threads.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Yeah I had to make sure which I had before I bought my Magpul stock. M&P's come with mil-specs.

I don't have an LMT to compare to, but I think I've seen some threads on other forums comparing them side by side.

B5 Systems SOPMOD Quick Review vs. LMT SOPMOD - AR15.COM

I wanted a FDE one. Like 2 days after I ordered mine, the FDE's were finally available, haha. Oh well. Was going to get some FDE ladder rail protector doo-dads to balance it out.

My two cents...I think the best looking new stock is the Magpul ACS or the ACS-L
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    .......I don't get my facial hair stuck in the gap between the stock and buffer tube like I was with my MOE (the friction lock of the CTR I'm sure would have solved that).
    I spoke too soon. I should have never blamed the MOE. How can I remedy this, besides shaving?

Ouch....

Sponsored Links