Russia improves AK design, itroduces the new AK-12

This is a discussion on Russia improves AK design, itroduces the new AK-12 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting article. 60 round magazine and able to be used with one hand seem to be the two main differences. And it looks as though ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By tacman605
  • 1 Post By jonconsiglio
  • 5 Post By OldVet
  • 3 Post By QKShooter

Thread: Russia improves AK design, itroduces the new AK-12

Russia improves AK design, itroduces the new AK-12

Interesting article. 60 round magazine and able to be used with one hand seem to be the two main differences. And it looks as though it will be offered in a variety of calibers.

Two New Russian Guns That Our Troops Could Face On the Battlefield | TheBlaze.com
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I believe the '12 denotes it's designed around the 5.56. I'll have to look but I read an article or saw a video a few weeks ago stating that the 7.62 was released is '47, the 5.45 in '74 and the 5.56 will be a 2012 model. Good deal if it is.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Actually, the '47 denotes that the gun was adopted by the military in 1947, the '74 denotes that the military adopted it in 1974 and the '12 denotes that the military will be adopting it in 2012.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

60 round magazine seems like it would be a bit heavy for a rifle. Is it going to be more of an RPK type thing over a carbine rifle?

Although that bullpup that has the punch of a .50 sound a bit awesome. A little intimidating too.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Interesting article. 60 round magazine and able to be used with one hand seem to be the two main differences. And it looks as though it will be offered in a variety of calibers.

Two New Russian Guns That Our Troops Could Face On the Battlefield | TheBlaze.com
    Wow...I read the comments over there...the stupid is strong there. If you read the comments, your head will explode. Please don't repost stupid internetrumor about Russian/Soviet guns are compatible with shooting U.S. ammo I had to walk away.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Well just a couple of thoughts.

They simply Americanized the new AK. Holosight, grip pod and so on. The caliber thing well they offer all that anyway except the 6.8. The one handed control statement to me just means they made an ambi safety so it could be operated with the strong side hand without releasing your grip, not really new just not offered before on Soviet rifles.

The Bullpup rifle is something new for them. The fact that they mentioned and "compared" it to the British SA-80 project makes me a little leery to shoot it. The SA-80 project was full of coruption, faked test results, budget overruns and all for a weapons system that is not that hot in the end. The caliber selection is different though it will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Oh and the 60 mag thing. Sure looks like they borrowed a few design ideas from Surefire. Surely they would not copy anything from the imperialist west.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Actually, the '47 denotes that the gun was adopted by the military in 1947, the '74 denotes that the military adopted it in 1974 and the '12 denotes that the military will be adopting it in 2012.
    Maybe I should have been more clear, sorry about that. It was adopted those years and happened to be in that caliber. The 12 being a 5.56. I'm no expert on the AK, but I may pay a little more attention now that there's a chance of a 5.56 AK with the reliability of the 7.62....hopefully.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Looks like the Russians made a raid on Cheaper Than Dirt's storage facility and tricked out the AK-47.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    Israel improved the AK design decades ago.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Israel improved the AK design decades ago.
    Too bad you're the only guy that has one of those non Century made rifles. I'd like to have a good one.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

60 rd mag, huh?

Love to see you try to fire from a prone position with that thing.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

A buddy of mine got some Surefire 60 round mags early on. I'm not a fan but I guess I can see where's it's nice for something like the IAR, in theory.

Anyway, I spent a couple days with the 60 round mag and I didn't care for it when prone, eventhough I subscribe to the 3 points of contact style of prone shooting, due to it's height and really didn't care for the extra weight. If I need 60 rounds on the gun, give me a second mag on the gun in case I have a failure of some kind.

I'm sure it'll work well with a man-dress though, so at least we have that to look forward to.

Administrator
    The Galil has optional 50 round heavy steel magazines available & with or without the attached factory bipod the rifle will monopod on the floorplate of the 50 round magazine.

I have a few of the 50 rounders but, for that very reason I do not like them.

"Love to see you try to fire from a prone position with that thing."
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links