Got some ?? about CMP M1s

This is a discussion on Got some ?? about CMP M1s within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is the difference between the Field and Rack grade M1 Garands from the CMP? Is there a large difference between the quality of the ...

Thread: Got some ?? about CMP M1s

Got some ?? about CMP M1s

What is the difference between the Field and Rack grade M1 Garands from the CMP? Is there a large difference between the quality of the stocks and the bore? Are the bores on these grades decent and close to equal? Is there an accuracy difference?

I want to buy an actual M1 Garand that may have actually seen some combat time. Only reason is because I'd like to own a piece of history like that. There is a $30 difference between the two grades and both are made by Springfield Armory. Price is $395 for the Rack and $425 for the Field. I plan on refinishing the stock and either reblueing the wear marks myself or having it reparked completely.

Also what do I need to do to qualify? I am 20 but will be waiting until after I am 21 and have my CHL. So what else? Do I need to join a club? Would the NRA work or does it have to be local? The gun will be shipped to my local ffl right? I've read about some people having them shipped to their doorstep. Is that because they have an FFL or C&R?

Sorry for some many questions but any help would be appreciated. I might have about $500 to spend soon and have always wanted an M1 Garand. I was going to spend the money on some more modern products from Surefire or maybe a new Sig. But those will be around for a while and I hear the M1s are drying up quickly.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    The diff. between the field and rack grades is all about throat and muzzle erosion. I dont remember the exact numbers for each offhand, but there is a 1 or 2 point diff. between the two. The basic differance is this: the rack grade will have a more worn barrel than the field grade. While the differance is marginal, it would be worth the extra $$$ unless you plan on replacing the barrel, then the point is moot. Chack out the CMP website, as they have detailed descriptions of the grading system.

As far as requirements, your CHL will satisfy the handling and safety requirement, and you will have to find a local CMP qualifying club in order to satisfy that requirement; the NRA does not meet that criteria.

Ive had my CMP Correct grade garand for over 3 years now, and have been extremely happy with it.
    Fear No Evil.

Thanks I'll start asking around to find a local CMP club. I'm sure there is one in or around College Station. Texas A&M isn't known for being very anti-gun. I don't plan on replacing the barrel unless I have to so I guess spend the extra $30 is the way I'll go.

I have no idea what the grading point system means. I have read that the Field has a bore 5 points or less and the Rack has 5 or more. I know that means that the Field is better but don't really understand. This will be my 1st centerfire rifle and I find it appropriate that I go with my all time favorite rifle. Plus I'll have something historical I can pass down through my family. Most of my experience leans towards semi-auto handguns.

The garand is a great rifle, both historically, and mechanically. I think you will be very happy with it.

The grading system is pretty confusing, but Ill try to explain it some.

Inspecting the Breech Bore and Throat Erosion of an M1 Garand
    Gauge, breech bore. The breech bore Gauge is used to determine wear of the bore at the origin of the rifling. This Gauge has ten graduations, each of which corresponds to 0.001 inch of wear. The tenth graduation or point marked "REJECT" is equivalent to a bore diameter of 0.310 inch, since the zero graduation is 0.300 inch.

The barrel is inspected visually to determine the condition of the bore and the deterioration that has taken place. A Gauge inspection is then made to determine the amount of wear that has taken place at the origin of the rifling with the breech bore Gauge. The wear in the chamber or in the related parts affecting headspace is checked with a headspace Gauge specified in serviceability chart.
    Source: WAR DEPARTMENT TECHNICAL MANUAL TM 9-1275

Basically, they have gauges that measure the amount of erosion through both ends of the bore. They look like this: http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....uperSKU=&MC=YJ

The more worn the throat, the farther the gauge will go into the bore. Thus the numbers 0-10

This article at SurplusRifle.com explains some of the complexities of the system:
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...proj/index.asp

And heres their exellent section on the rifle for some referance.
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/garand/index.asp

Heres a link to the CMP affiliate in your area:
    http://www.bvsra.org/

Hope this helps ya out some.
    Fear No Evil.

Just join this club,you get four quarterly magazines that you will find very entertaining,and full of good trivia.They also forward your membership to the CMP automatically,its the easiest way.Join the GCA,send in your notorized application along with a copy of your CCW,Birth certificate,and check,and you will have the greatest battle implement ever made, in your hands in no time.

http://www.thegca.org/

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Being a Veteran however, does qualify.

Quote Originally Posted by hsuCowboy98 View Post

As far as requirements, your CHL will satisfy the handling and safety requirement, and you will have to find a local CMP qualifying club in order to satisfy that requirement; the NRA does not meet that criteria.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hsuCowboy98 View Post
    It doesn't have to be a "local club." It can be any club or organization that is affiliated with the CMP

Here's a link to their Requirements Page.

Shameless promotion follows:

One of the organization that is affiliated is the Virginia Citizen's Defense League (VCDL). Sure we are located in Virginia, but we are THE most effective grassroots gun-rights organization in the country. Our efforts do not just affect Virginia. Many fledgling state gun-rights organizations are patterning themselves after us. And one of our more national initiatives is to get the US Dept of Interior to allow carrying in National Parks by making their gun laws conform to the state(s) where the park is located. Several Senators and Representatives have signed onto this iitiative.

It costs only $15 a year to join, and you do NOT have to be a Virginia resident. Like I said earlier, VCDL is affiliated with CMP so it satisfies the membership requirement for purchasing weapons from them.

Shameless Promotion ended.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Thanks guys. I will ahve to wait until Nov/Dec though because I won'y get my CHL until then. But you were all very helpful. p8triot in sounds like you have avery good program and you plug is more than welcome. I can't wait to get my M1.

I prefer a local range/club because the gun club I am a member of here holds monthly mil-surp and Garand matches, and you gain access to a range for only $60 a year. They also waive entry fees. Your local club may have a similar setup, allowing you to both join a CMP affiliate club, and get year round access to a good quality range for one price.
    Fear No Evil.

Links