Self-Defense Rifle? - Page 2

Self-Defense Rifle?

This is a discussion on Self-Defense Rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have Marlin 44 mag rifle & Ruger Redhawk 44 mag pistol,,,, mostly for deer hunting when I purchased both. Do also have Marlin 336 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Self-Defense Rifle?

I have Marlin 44 mag rifle & Ruger Redhawk 44 mag pistol,,,, mostly
    for deer hunting when I purchased both. Do also have Marlin 336 30/30.
    Savage 356 win lever action gun. I just like the lever action guns.
    Need a 357 mag rifle to go with my 357 pistols, too.

I would have to opt for the .44. A Marlin 1894 in .44 mag is light, short and carries a 10 round magazine. Knock down power out of that is awesome and you can shoot .44 specials to boot. Another plus is loading the .44s with shot and you basically have a .410 short. A lot of versatility and it makes a great deer gun, especially with Hornady's new leverevolution ammo.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I'd be equally fine with any .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum lever-action rifle but it would have to be built on the Winchester Model 92 design only. Super-strong and dependable John Browning design that's much slicker in operation than anything he designed later or any other competitive lever-action design. Any modern 92 reissue, replica, or clone would do.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I'd run the .357 myself for two reasons, 1. I have revolvers that are chambered in such and 2. I'd put it on par with the 30-30 out of a carbine. Then again my .357s are typically set up for hunting using slow burning powder for anything over a 6 inch barrel.
    .308s are usually my go to rifles for any given situation though.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    If you were going to buy a lever action strictly for self defense would a 16 to 18 inch barrel be better than a full length barrel?also which caliber? 30-30,44 mag or .357? Thanks.
    If it were strickly for SD, I like the 16" "trapper" configuration, they are a little handier than even the "handy" 20" carbine (and they are not a handicap ballistically). I have "trapper" models, carbine models and rifle models, my favorite "packin" levergun it a Winchester trapper in .45 Colt. Any of those you mentioned would do you well.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

I have a Marlin trapper and Marlin Youth gun both in 30-30.
    Good luck finding a new rifle with a 16" barrel in .357 if that's what you decide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links