Front Sight Zero Question

This is a discussion on Front Sight Zero Question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; On a standard (Military A2) front sight post what is the mechanical zero setting ?...All the way down and up 11 clicks???? Damn I forgot....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Front Sight Zero Question

Front Sight Zero Question

On a standard (Military A2) front sight post what is the mechanical zero setting ?...All the way down and up 11 clicks???? Damn I forgot.

2. Remove Ads

Front sight post flush, rear sights centered and 8/3 minus 2. This is for 25 to 200 yards. Only adjust the front sight post up or down for this distance.

When you move to three hundred yards, click the rear sight up to the 8/3 setting and adjust for windage as needed.

Go back to 500 yards click the rear sight up to the #5 setting. This should be sufficient for humanoid size targets.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Front sight post flush, rear sights centered and 8/3 minus 2

That was my typical zero as well, something in that ball park pending on your exact rifle is going to be close. Most of the rear sight apertures I've seen on 16.5" ARs don't allow for the 8/3 -2 much to my dismay....

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    That was my typical zero as well, something in that ball park pending on your exact rifle is going to be close. Most of the rear sight apertures I've seen on 16.5" ARs don't allow for the 8/3 -2 much to my dismay....
    I noticed that as well. Not sure the reason. Maybe they have changed it for the trajectory difference with the shorter barrel?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

On the face of it, it wouldn't seem that there would be so much trajectory variance as could be caused by velocity differences between the two different barrel lengths but maybe y'all are right.
    No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
    On a standard (Military A2) front sight post what is the mechanical zero setting ?...All the way down and up 11 clicks???? Damn I forgot.
    Front sight flush to start, adjust as needed at 200, as my fellow Jarheads have said.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Well I'll take the Jarheads word for it. They have saved my Army a** more than once! Sempi Fi

Quote Originally Posted by TangoFoxtrot View Post
    Well I'll take the Jarheads word for it. They have saved my Army a** more than once! Sempi Fi
    Just remember that the FSP adjustments are for large adjustments only, once you get it zero'd at 200 (or 25) yards, then use the rear sight for elevation changes.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    As a Navy man I was going to chime in and give you the best technique for brewing a pot of coffee or teach you how to paint. Too bad I never learned anything about zeroing a rifle during my 5 years of active duty.

Seriously though, asking as a former Squid, isn't anyone else a bit alarmed that we have so many knuckle dragging Marines on this site? I thought DC was for smart, intelligent conversation. <-- Said as atctimmy ducks for cover and runs for the door.
    bmcgilvray and msgt/ret like this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    As a Navy man I was going to chime in and give you the best technique for brewing a pot of coffee or teach you how to paint. Too bad I never learned anything about zeroing a rifle during my 5 years of active duty.

Seriously though, asking as a former Squid, isn't anyone else a bit alarmed that we have so many knuckle dragging Marines on this site? I thought DC was for smart, intelligent conversation. <-- Said as atctimmy ducks for cover and runs for the door.

JD ->Timmy

Just kidding.

Haha nice

Not to worry atctimmy, I'll cover your retreat with my trusty paint brush.

My navy moto: if it moves, salute it. If it doesn't, paint it.
    I did get to play with some nice toys.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Duhm, Front Site Post, Smash! No Need Aim! Use Boomstick on Auto!

Better Timmy?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Duhm, Front Site Post, Smash! No Need Aim! Use Boomstick on Auto!

Better Timmy?
    Nice.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

WOW! Are you gonna get it! LMAO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links