Help me pick a new rifle!

This is a discussion on Help me pick a new rifle! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't keep up with current prices for them but a plain old standard Springfield Armory M1A should be available for less than the upper ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Help me pick a new rifle!

I don't keep up with current prices for them but a plain old standard Springfield Armory M1A should be available for less than the upper end of your budget. I have an older Springfield Armory M1A. No "loaded" options. No "match" options. No frills at all. With issue sights it's a solid 1 1/2-inch group shooter for 5 shots off the bench rest at 100 yards, occasionally straying down to 1 1/4 inches if I'm in a good shooting humor. It's given dependable performance for high-power competition and extended long range plinking sessions.

I'm way out of style but don't much care for the short-barreled versions, preferring the longer barrel to keep the muzzle blast down and farther away from me, along with the ballistic advantage the longer barrel does afford.

Don't be afraid of a good used M1A as may be found on GunBroker or other auction sites. I'd stay away from any that are described as customized, modified, or tricked out. A stock rifle would be preferred to one that's been monkeyed with to conform to someone else's wishes.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    Never shot or even handled an M1-A. But I really want one as my next rifle.

Here here !! ballistic advantage.....would you consider any of the "sporty old" autoloaders, Browning in say .338 or 06..or Winchester 740/760 both would snap out to 600yrs..but you really dont get to call your shots after really warming up your barrel...

Any AR-10 clone will outshoot an m1a out of the box any day of the week.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    "With great firepower comes great responsibility."

M1a's are cool rifles, but at over 11 pounds and a few inches shy of 4 feet, it's a bit on the large side. An AR10 or really any "tactical" 7.62 semi auto will likely be out of your budget except for the FNAR, well maybe an Armalite would fit in there, but I would stay away from those.

I have a SCAR H and a 700. I recently sold a REPR and will be picking up an SR25 or an MWS something in the next few onths, I think. I definitely prefer a semi auto for a semi precision rifle but the 700 is really nice and inexpensive to start. What's nice, is you can upgrade as you go. You can add new bottom metal, a Surgeon action, a new stock and a new barrel eventually. You'll have basically two rifles if you go all out from base model, but the options are great and you can make it completely yours over time.

So, for your budget, I'd get a nice 700 with a good barrel then go from there. I wouldn't buy a semi auto in that price range except an M1a, but I personally would never really use something that long and heavy with the way I personally shoot unless it was a serious long range precision rifle.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

An M1A is indeed large and heavy. It is a battle rifle. However, unless you plan on clearing a house with it, I see the weight and size as an advantage, as it helps with the recoil. I doubt too many civilians are going to hump one for 12 miles every day. I only got my lever gun instead of the M1A because of the huge cost difference, and the fact that I cannot see further than 150 yards in my area. Otherwise, hell yes, I'd get an M1A. Or maybe an FN FAL.

And, if things get really up close and personal, I'd much rather use a long and heavy, wood-and-steel M1A to execute a butt stroke to the head than an aluminum-and-plastic AR or a short AK. I had to do a few of those with my M16 in Somalia - I was always afraid I'd break the darn thing.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by UltimaRatio View Post

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Any AR-10 clone?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    No offense to anyone here but any of the small calibers are not going to compete with a 7.62 round at 5-600 yards if there is any wind at all and yes it does leak testosterone not quite as much as a .338 Lapua but sometimes you just have to have it.

Making a statement like this you must own an AR-10 clone. Don't be fooled into thinking an old design cannot outshoot something new you would be surprised what the rifle can do in the right hands.

Well since you already have an AR a 7.62 model would make sense would fit in your budget. Some can be very accurate and others are simply a beefed up AR platform that is not as accurate as their little brother but you will pay for that accuracy with match barrels, triggers and so on.

Don't get me wrong M1A's are great rifles I love mine but they can be finicky in regards to scope mounts you get what you pay for but overall very good rifles. They can be had within your budget but as someone stated avoid the "custom" ones and you have to search for the right rifle.

This a one of mine. It has a 1963 TRW barrel and mostly GI parts but none of that makes any difference to me the fact that is shoots well is what matters. Currently I am running a fixed 10x with a Karsten Cheek Piece, Sadlak Titanium Mount and a bedded fiberglass stock.

Keep in mind though you have to have a well put together rig to shoot at the distances you are talking about, depending on what target size you are shooting for of course, so you have to choose wisely. I own a wide variety of the 7.62 battle rifles, M1A, FN/FAL, G-3, but none will come close to the accuracy of a bolt gun at the ranges you want to shoot at. Optics are going to play a big part so you have to divide your budget to include decent optics or you are just spitting in wind.

What I would advise is look at getting a Saiga .308 and having it built up. They are excellent rifles and you can upgrade as your budget allows. I have Rifle Dynamics in Las Vegas do all my builds and they can set up a very good rifle for you within your budget and criteria. Rifle Dynamics 07 FFL/SOT - Las Vegas | GSR

They can build the rifle from a Saiga .308 or Romanian PSL in 7.62x54R (A fantastic cartridge by the way the Russian equal to the 30/06). As they put it "It will not shoot minute of angle but it will shoot minute of man out to 600 yards". It is all in what you want and your budget allows.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    An M1A is indeed large and heavy. It is a battle rifle. However, unless you plan on clearing a house with it, I see the weight and size as an advantage, as it helps with the recoil. I doubt too many civilians are going to hump one for 12 miles every day. I only got my lever gun instead of the M1A because of the huge cost difference, and the fact that I cannot see further than 150 yards in my area. Otherwise, hell yes, I'd get an M1A. Or maybe an FN FAL.

And, if things get really up close and personal, I'd much rather use a long and heavy, wood-and-steel M1A to execute a butt stroke to the head than an aluminum-and-plastic AR or a short AK. I had to do a few of those with my M16 in Somalia - I was always afraid I'd break the darn thing.
    I just look at things from my uses most of the time. When we're out at the ranch, we can be on foot for many hours a day walking all over the ranch. I usually grab an AR for the weight, but lately I've taken the SCAR H. With the right ammo and optic, it's a 1.25 to 1.5 MOA rifle (I've heard it can shoot better, but I can't) and weighs well under 9 pounds with an optic, vert grip and a Surefire light. It's also extremely soft recoiling, even compared to the heavier MWS, REPR, OBR and M110.

Just personal preference. Any time we're hunting larger hogs and reaching out past 250 to 300, give or take, I prefer a 7.62. When shooting paper, I like 'em all.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I have a bone-stock, 22" M1A rifle. I'd recommend the rifle to anyone in the .308 market. The AR-10 platform is well-reviewed, and I assume it would be just as good as the AR-15, of which I have a couple. Since all I personally have is the M1A, and an old .308 Winchester 100 that my grandfather gave me (also an excellent rifle, though at a capacity of 4+1 more for hunting than any kind of defense role), I do recommend it based on my personal experience with it. It runs the Federal American Eagle 7.62X51 OTM rounds very nicely as well.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    I have heard though Jon if you leave those plastic SCAR things in a hot car in the summer they will warp in the heat......just sayin.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I have heard though Jon if you leave those plastic SCAR things in a hot car in the summer they will warp in the heat......just sayin.
    I heard if you're out too long with one of those wood stocks, the termites degrade the accuracy… Just sayin'!

What are you doing up, anyway?

VIP Member
    Oh that was cold.

Relieving my guy on nights to give him a break he is packing for leave which will be me soon enough.

I was going to recommend something in 7.62 x 54r myself... the Mosin Nagant 91/30.
    Tried and proven. Good for long range, good for short range... even if you run out of ammo.
    And if it ever comes down to a jousting standoff...
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I was going to recommend something in 7.62 x 54r myself... the Mosin Nagant 91/30.
    Tried and proven. Good for long range, good for short range... even if you run out of ammo.
    And if it ever comes down to a jousting standoff...
    Can't go wrong with one of these for $100. Although it doesn't seem to meet most of your requirements. Buy on anyways.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links