Help me pick a new rifle!

This is a discussion on Help me pick a new rifle! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, so ive decided that I want a new rifle for Christmas, but I'm not sure what I want. Here are my criteria: - .308 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Help me pick a new rifle!

Help me pick a new rifle!

OK, so ive decided that I want a new rifle for Christmas, but I'm not sure what I want. Here are my criteria:

- .308 caliber
    - Purposes include: sport shooting, defense, maybe hunting
    - I expect to shoot out to about 500-600yds
    - Semi auto
    - Budget is $1,000 to $1,400

I've been eying the SA M1A scout squad (because of the 18" barrel), but wanted to get some opinions. So, thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

how about this only used to stay on your price point...FNAR 7.62x51mm Rifles go to SeattleGuns.NET • View topic - WTS used FN FNAR .308 20" barrel 4 mags, case $1250 obo for a example for sale..

Any particular reason for a .308 (other than it drips testosterone?)

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    Any particular reason for a .308 (other than it drips testosterone?)
    Its a common cartridge & therefore not overly expensive, and there are a lot of rifles that fire it. And I have a standard .223 AR15 already. If you have something else in mind that fits these criteria but fires a different cartridge, I'll take a look at it.

for sport shooting, hunting, and will drive tacks out to 600 yds....I suggest a ruger 22-250 bolt action.

for CQB and semi auto, I suggest a M4 or maybe a beretta storm or something like that.

its hard for me to think of something that meets all your criteria.....maybe a ruger mini 14 in 223?

(Ha! can you tell that Ruger is my favorite long gun?)

I've been eyeing the SA scout rifle myself, dpms makes an awesome ar platform that shoot's .308/7.62x51mm, and if you buy right you'll only spend around $800 then you have left over money for extra goodies, you'll be doing some assembly tho
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    - I expect to shoot out to about 500-600yds
    OK, but how big a target do you expect to hit out at that range - a barn door or the vitals of a deer?

The only gun that comes to mind that fits your specs is a Springfield Armory National Match M1A, but that's about 50% over your max budget.

And if you're hunting, I'd be looking at a good scope and mount which will drive your package price up by at least $500.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    If you already have an AR15 then maybe you don't need another semi auto. You pay a hefty penalty in weight and in price for the semi auto option. A Remington 700 in .308 will do the job out to 1000 yds for you and not break the bank. It's just a suggestion.
    DefConGun likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you already have an AR15 then maybe you don't need another semi auto. You pay a hefty penalty in weight and in price for the semi auto option. A Remington 700 in .308 will do the job out to 1000 yds for you and not break the bank. It's just a suggestion.
    Better yet .300 win mag.
    atctimmy and Ragin Cajun like this.

Your going to get a lot of different opinions and boils down to you. I hunt a lot and love my. 270. There is a lot of semi autos also in this caliber. If you like the ar platform buy an ar-10. Spikes tactical announced there's this year for sale and its sweet. If you want super accurate go with a bolt gun. 300 Mag is going to kick like a mule and that's my .02

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    for sport shooting, hunting, and will drive tacks out to 600 yds....I suggest a ruger 22-250 bolt action.

for CQB and semi auto, I suggest a M4 or maybe a beretta storm or something like that.

its hard for me to think of something that meets all your criteria.....maybe a ruger mini 14 in 223?

(Ha! can you tell that Ruger is my favorite long gun?)
    For CQB I've got my AR15 & my trusty M&P 9c

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    . 300 Mag is going to kick like a mule and that's my .02
    He was just busting my chops. I have a .300 Win mag I've been trying to sell for a while now.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

sgb
    Armalite ar10a4cf
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    I love my 270 bolt action scoped. One flat shooter ".......I like the 270 over the 30.06 or 308...but they will all knock down deer fast.

If you already has one AR type rifle, go with a Remington 700 in .308. Rifle and good scope can be had well within your budget amount. Just my .02 worth.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links