Tell me about the Mini 14 - Page 2

Tell me about the Mini 14

This is a discussion on Tell me about the Mini 14 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have one of the new series Mini's and I really enjoy shooting it. I actually like the iron sights on it but I ended ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Tell me about the Mini 14

VIP Member
    I have one of the new series Mini's and I really enjoy shooting it. I actually like the iron sights on it but I ended up putting a Redfield 3-9x40mm on it. I'm not the open sight marksman I used to be in my youth... The accuracy is fine for what it is, but if you are going to expect sub-MOA performance, then it's not going to be the rifle for you. There are a number of aftermarket solutions to improve accuracy; from having a trigger job done to an Accustrut barrel stabilizer. I'm not sure that any of them are necessary to enjoy the Mini, but some will probably help if group size matters to you. I've toyed with doing the trigger job myself. GunDoc has a Youtube how to video on it. It hasn't been a pressing desire but I can see how a smoother trigger action would help out my accuracy.

The mags are pricey, but if you shop around you can pick 'em up for a decent price. I think I paid $20 each for some 20-rounders from Hoffman's a while back. I also second the idea of staying away from the 3rd party mags; performance is just too iffy from most of them.

Overall, I'm glad that I gave in to my Mini obsession and picked one up. It's a fun rifle and I have always loved the look of the Garand style rifle.
    TN_Mike likes this.

I have a target model with the Hogue overmolded rubberized stock. Haven't shot it much, but I consider the accuracy acceptable considering my eyes aren't what they used to be. I traded a S&W .32 mag model 18 that I hadn't shot in several years (use to use it for Field Pistol IHMSA Silhouette shooting) to a friend who had the Mini 14 along with a couple of AR type rifles. He had purchased the Mini new, but never fired it! I carried an M1, then an M14 when I was in the army back in the early 60's, so I like the similarity of the Mini 14. It has a Tasco red dot 1X optic sight mounted on it, and is plenty accurate for my purposes.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Administrator
    Clarification - appreciated. I'm not up to speed on the new models - only what I heard VIA grapevine talk.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    That does make sense, I was just pointing out what was immediately obvious to me. And the harmonic dampner is not on all models, just the target model.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    I had a mini 14 (ranch rifle) a few years back, and I liked it very much. I bought it as a back up SHTF type, and also used it for coyote hunting. Whom ever said its no good after a hundred was spot on. Inside a hundred, it was pretty decent. Nobody was going to with a biathlon with one, but it did what it was supposed to do. I did add a Williams peep sight to the rear, and that helped a lot. It fed any kinda garbage ammo I gave it, it also did well on the better stuff too.

Then the magazines... good lord, those were expensive. I had it during the AWB, and finding a Ruger magazine was tough. And when you did, you paid for it. Ultimately, that is what lead me to sell the rifle. I switched to an AR to coyote hunt with, and never looked back. But, I still wouldn't mind having another if the right opportunity came along.
    "Just blame Sixto"

if you scope it, take the Hi-rise option on rings...standard will dent up your scope tube...

6.8SPC as an Option

I don't see where anybody has mentioned 6.8SPC. I have a Ranch model Mini in 6.8SPC caliber, instead of .223. I'm in California and always lusted over a Mini, when I read about their new offering in this newer caliber I decided to get that, and later build an AR (which I have now done).

To read up about 6.8, I suggest the 68Forums.

over priced
    in accurate
    hard to find mags
    over priced mags
    lack of after market parts..

buy a AR

I have one of the later production models made with the heavier barrel blank. Shortly afterward, ATI came out with a folding pistol grip stock, so I switched over to one. Next was an Amega scout optics rail that goes in place of the handguard. You can see one here: Amega Mounts Home page The optics rail really stiffens up the barrel, along with providing a mount for a forward optic. With a 1x red dot scope on mine, I can get 1.5 MOA off a bipod.

I agree on sticking with Ruger magazines for the Mini-14. They are 100 percent reliable. I tried the cheaper aftermarket ones, and they have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I have the Mini 14 Ranch Rifle in stainless, and like it a lot. The newer ones have a tapered barrel, and are made on new equipment. Accuracy is darn good - contrary to the naysayers out there.

The only complaint I have is with the rear iron sight - I was hitting left, and ran out of adjustment. I solved the issue by mounting a scope, using the Ruger scope rings, which are very solid.

Factory Ruger Mini 14 mags are more expensive than AR or AK mags, but avoid the temptation to buy cheaper aftermarket mags.

I like the M1/M14 operating system much better than the AR system. The receiver in my Mini stays much cleaner. I like that I can get to the bolt and chamber area, which you cannot do with either the AR or the AK. Takedown is easy, and it breaks down into large parts - unlike the fiddly little pins that keep the AR's bolt and bolt carrier together (ever drop those things in the grass - at night? ugh!)

And finally - the Mini does not get the "assault rifle" stigma that the AR and AK get. In some places, that matters.

I would not run the cheap steel cased Russian ammo in my Mini.

All that said, I find myself leaning more toward my Marlin 336 lever gun. I'll never get rid of my Mini - 5.56/.223 ammo is just everywhere - but I really like me some 170 gr .30-30 JSPs for solving social problems, especially behind cover.

Hope this helps!
    Got that covered. I have a Marlin 336 that I have owned for years and taken many deer with over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I know that I could be seen as a bit biased on this, but I would not trade in an AR for a Mini-14. Back in the day, before I joined the service, I wanted a semi-auto .223, and wound up with a stainless ranch model 14. The cost of mags was prohibitive, and still is. The Ruger ones are the only ones that are really reliable, as has been said.

Aftermarket support is decent, but you do need to be cognizant that some accessories are only for certain models or serial number ranges. I think augmenting your collection with one, and keeping the AR, is a much better choice than selling the AR though, if that is possible
    Well, there's no chance I'll be trading or selling the AR for the Mini. My wife told me there was no way I am selling or trading the AR. Period. So, that is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    over priced
    in accurate
    hard to find mags
    over priced mags
    lack of after market parts..

buy a AR
    I already have an AR. I want to add the Mini.

Thanks for all the reply's everyone.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Fairly New from Choate Machine & Tool.

Mini 14 M4 Telescoping Pistol Grip Stock

We've taken our Mini 14 Pistol Grip stock and added our telescoping M4 stock!!! We used a steel adapter housing to allow the M4 stock to be attached to the Mini 14 pistol grip stock. This stock offers the most versatile length of pull you will find. It will go from youth to adults length of pull with just a pull on the stock!!!

$156.60
    TN_Mike likes this.

My wife told me there was no way I am selling or trading the AR.
    What a wife! Just like mine, but that is special! Woo Hoo!

Have fun!

The Mini 14 will get fewer looks from the "other" crowd too.

I have a 581 series tactical version. I think this model solves many of the problems that some have with the mini 14-- not being able to add attachments. it comes equipped with a long top rail, and three shorter rails on the sides and bottom. this makes it possible to attach red dot sights, laser, light, and fore-grip.... what else could you need. I have only added the fore-grip and don't plan on any of the other attachments, but is nice to have options. Additionally, the tactical version has a pistol grip and folding stock. i prefer this style of grip over the traditional rifle stock and the folding capability is nice for several reasons. When i purchased the rifle it had an additional rail that attaches to scalloped sight ring detents which allows the addition of a scope. i found that the cheek relief is a little high and i'll need to purchase a cheek riser in order to use the scope effectively. i prefer iron sights anyway.

i my research for my first rifle i considered an AR but found the cost to be prohibitive- i didn't want to buy a low quality AR just so i could say i had one. I also thought about an AK but found too many warnings about terrible brands, only buying from certain countries, and never really knowing what you're gonna get without being a gun nut (no offense intended). Ruger offers a variety of models that should be able to suit most shooters.

the dependability associated with a tested design was attractive.
    chambered in .223-- a widely available calibre.
    affordability a plus--i got mine with the scope,rail, iron sights, fore-grip, (2) 30 round magazines and a sling for under $700.
    accurate enough-- i hold 2 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds
    i think this rifle will serve most people's purposes without breaking the bank and its a fun gun to shoot.

GET ONE!!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    I own both an AR and a newer 581 series mini. The mini is a no-holds barred, will go bang every time rifle. Not accurrate by any stretch, but it is combat accurate in that torso hits are very doable, no problem. I can get 3 - 4" groups at 100 yards with standard sights and older eyes. Mine has never jammed, nor misfed a round. Neither has my AR for that matter.

I like the stock, the feel, and the platform of the Mini-14. It is a solid, well built working rifle.

Having said all that, for SHTF issues, I'll grab the Marlin 30-30 without giving it a second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I own both an AR and a newer 581 series mini. The mini is a no-holds barred, will go bang every time rifle. Not accurrate by any stretch, but it is combat accurate in that torso hits are very doable, no problem. I can get 3 - 4" groups at 100 yards with standard sights and older eyes. Mine has never jammed, nor misfed a round. Neither has my AR for that matter.

I like the stock, the feel, and the platform of the Mini-14. It is a solid, well built working rifle.

Having said all that, for SHTF issues, I'll grab the Marlin 30-30 without giving it a second thought.
    Well, I've got an AR, got an AK, got a Marlin model 336 30-30 lever gun plus a few .22lr rifles, if I get a Mini 14 that should round out our SHTF rifle group pretty well. Of course that doesn't mean it will stop me and the wife from wanting some more things.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Well, I've got an AR, got an AK, got a Marlin model 336 30-30 lever gun plus a few .22lr rifles, if I get a Mini 14 that should round out our SHTF rifle group pretty well. Of course that doesn't mean it will stop me and the wife from wanting some more things.
    That is because firearms ownership is a journey, not a destination. More toys = more fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links