mossberg 500 help

mossberg 500 help

This is a discussion on mossberg 500 help within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a run of the mil mossberg 500 that I've hunted with shot clay pigeons and lots of range time with over the last ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SIXTO
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: mossberg 500 help

Question mossberg 500 help

I have a run of the mil mossberg 500 that I've hunted with shot clay pigeons and lots of range time with over the last 6 or 7 years, I'm gonna retire it to home defense Shotty only, but before I do that does anybody know where I can order an 8 round tube with matching barrel?????
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

The tube is backordered right now, but here you go: Mag Tube 8-Round 500 A 12 Ga

Mossberg has the 20" barrel on the website for $160.

So realistically, you could just buy an extra 500 Persuader for a little bit more than the extra barrel and tube.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    I'd look for a used 500- those things are a cheap dime a dozen.
    hogdaddy likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Is there any way to keep and use the barrel that I already have on it? Was thinking could cut the lug off the barrel and get one of the barrel clamps. What's your thoughts?
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

Quote Originally Posted by gunguy82 View Post
    Is there any way to keep and use the barrel that I already have on it? Was thinking could cut the lug off the barrel and get one of the barrel clamps. What's your thoughts?
    This issue really is the one major drawback of the Mossberg 500 series shotguns. If you have an 870, you can easily put on a mag extension. You just need to take off the end cap, put in a new mag spring, and screw on the mag extension.

I would not cut the lug off the barrel, as that just sounds like trouble. The lug on the barrel adds stability to both the barrel and mag tube. You would also just have an open space at the end of the new mag tube, which is not ideal.

Realistically, most 500 models come with a 5 shot capacity, which should be fine. Just get an 18.5" barrel, and call it good is what I would do (or buy a new shotgun).

EDIT: I just saw your thread about having ordered a Maverick 88, why not just keep this one the way it is, and use the Maverick for HD?
    boomer1 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Links