Affordable suppressor for both the AR15 & AK74 - Page 2

Affordable suppressor for both the AR15 & AK74

This is a discussion on Affordable suppressor for both the AR15 & AK74 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MilitaryArms To clarify, if you need a part replaced, you must send the can to Huntertown Arms for them to do the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Affordable suppressor for both the AR15 & AK74

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    To clarify, if you need a part replaced, you must send the can to Huntertown Arms for them to do the replacement. You can strip and clean your can since it's user serviceable. You can also switch the stack order on the baffles which extends the life of the baffles. The one closest to the blast chamber takes the most abuse. This is what the Huntertown Arms guys were saying anyway.
    Yeah, I didn't think they'd send you the new components, but when you send it in for a replacement if there's a baffle strike or it's completely worn out, it appears it can be replaced and sent back without replacing the serialized part.

Baffles wear from rear to front, so that's interesting that they can be replaced. This is why a brake is a very good idea for a rifle with a dedicated suppressor. I no longer use brakes but would if I was running a suppressor full time. This acts as a sacrificial baffle.

What causes the wear is the blast, obviously. So, closest baffle to the muzzle will take the most blast and unburnt powder. Unlike a flash hider, the brake will take the most serious blast. With many suppressors, you can't just easily replace one baffle.

So again, that's a benefit. Unfortunately, you don't get something for nothing, so with all these benefits, I'm curious what the negatives will be.

In addition to my question on the length and weight (which I just noticed was answered), what are the materials? Inconel or stainless?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    The baffles are stainless. I'm not sure what the material used on the body of the can is, but I will find out. My guess is that it's aluminum.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Senior Moderator
    I may be slightly off here, but a while back someone wrote the ATF asking why they couldn't have their serial stamped on a new lower so they didn't have to register it again as an SBR. This resulted it clarification that they could no longer do this to suppressors. My point was... With this suppressor, the serial number is on the back half. The baffles and front come off which would likely allow a replacement of the important parts without sacrificing your serial number
    That may have been for a Form 1 can, but an 07 can still serialize a new lower. In some cases its easier to just trash the whole can and issue a new one with the same number.
    Not too long ago, a friend of mine had a baffle strike on a can that destroyed it, he sent it to the manufacturer and got a new can with the same number.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That may have been for a Form 1 can, but an 07 can still serialize a new lower. In some cases its easier to just trash the whole can and issue a new one with the same number.Not too long ago, a friend of mine had a baffle strike on a can that destroyed it, he sent it to the manufacturer and got a new can with the same number.
    Right, but they stopped doing that and can no longer destroy the old one and stamp a new one with the same serial. This just happened in the very recent past! Somewhere around '08 or a little earlier. They can no longer do it with lowers either.

EDIT - Ok, the ATF ruling on this comes because AAC was accepting Gemtech can, destroying them, then etching that serial onto your new AAC can. Gemtech threw a fit and pushed it with the ATF, who then ruled against restampong serial numbers in all cases, even repairs. So, if your Surefire can, for example, is destroyed, you'd send it in for repair. If they can't repair it and scrap it, they now have to scrap that serial. The new suppressor will be sent. You won't need a CLEO sign-off, but you will be paying the $200 for the stamp again. Before, you wouldn't pay the $200.

That's what the benefit of this suppressor is. If you shoot out, which isn't that hard to do, especially if it's not inconel, they could conceivably replace all the parts but the rear with the serial, saving you the $200 tax.

.....when AAC destroyed a suppressor tube, etched gemtech's information on it. At the time Gemtech was told this practice was not acceptable while at the same time AAC was told it was. Gemtech asked for clarification on this subject by the ATF, and everyone blamed Gemtech since the ATF clarified to them that manufacturing a new suppressor with an old, destroyed suppressor's information is illegal.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    The baffles are stainless. I'm not sure what the material used on the body of the can is, but I will find out. My guess is that it's aluminum.
    I figured as much with the price. Still, for the price this seems like a good deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links