Remington 870 -- which stock should I choose?!

Remington 870 -- which stock should I choose?!

This is a discussion on Remington 870 -- which stock should I choose?! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've pretty much decided to go for a Remington 870 for my Home/Car/Camping defense gun, but I had some questions for many of the shotgun ...

Thread: Remington 870 -- which stock should I choose?!

Question Remington 870 -- which stock should I choose?!

I've pretty much decided to go for a Remington 870 for my Home/Car/Camping defense gun, but I had some questions for many of the shotgun conessieurs out there. The stock I'm planning on getting looks like this:

Do you guys like or dislike these pistol grip stocks? I was thinking that 1. It looks shorter than the normal stock on a shotgun due to the pistol grip being dropped down, and 2. It would be nice for, say, camping, because you could keep one hand on the pistol grip when lying down. What do you guys think?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Risque007; August 17th, 2006 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Needed smaller pic.

I'll tell you what I think, but I just bought my 870 last Friday.

I had the choice between a stock 870 Express Magnum with extended mag tube and one with the pistol grip w/extended mag tube. Both had the black synthetic stocks.

I opted for the stock one to get a feel for the gun first and to get comfortable shooting it. Then once I have a good handle on it, then more than likely, I will add the pistol grip. I personally like it and it seems to fit me well.

But, I would rather spend the extra money on something more essential and I did: a Surefire Forend with Light built in.

Just installed mine today. Very nice. You can't carry a flashlight and your shotgun at the same time.

Very worthwhile. Also, mine is only a HD shotgun.

The next thing will be Ghost Ring sights.

Then a pistol grip.

Buy stock, shoot it abunch, get comfortable, then add-on in a necessity based order.

Just my opinion though.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I have the side folding stock with the pistol grip,an eight round mag extension and rifle sights on my 870. Really like the versatility of the folding stock.

JD
    Administrator
    You mght want to try the new Tactical 870 with the Knoxx collapsable stock, it offers more recoil reduction and an adjustle length of pull, they're a little more pricey but that's what I'm planning on getting, that or a Benelli M1 90.

matter of taste I think, but I don't like pistol grips in shotguns.
    I'm comfortable with switching between shouldering a shotgun and hip holding it without a pistol grip.
    I think a pistol grip gets in the way of this transition, making it less smooth.
    Just me. I've been handling shotguns for 38 years and I've always handled the regular stock.
    here's my choice for a simple 18" synthetic stock hd 870.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/95077

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_db View Post
    matter of taste I think, but I don't like pistol grips in shotguns.
    I'm comfortable with switching between shouldering a shotgun and hip holding it without a pistol grip.
    I think a pistol grip gets in the way of this transition, making it less smooth.
    Just me. I've been handling shotguns for 38 years and I've always handled the regular stock.
    here's my choice for a simple 18" synthetic stock hd 870.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/95077

Hehe, I was just looking at this not 2 hours ago...

I'd say take a look at www.knoxx.com they make some wonderful stocks. I have their Compstock and it works great. If you are looking for a more toteable option look at their Copstock. It has a wire top folding stock and the pistol grip absorbs the recoil.

Lead Moderator
    get what feels best to you. Personally I like the added control I have with a pistol grip. As for laying down, it sure is hard to pump a shotgun in the prone postion.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

+1 on the Compstock. Put one on my 870 and recoil is drastically reduced even witht he stoutest loads. Never really been a big fan of pistol grips on long guns.

Knoxx rocks!

I took a look at the stocks at www.knoxx.com, and the one I really liked was the Collapsible NRS and I liked the look of them. Does anyone know where I might find like this though (see pic below). Is that made by knoxx or someone else?
    Attached Images
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Thats not a Knoxx. I don't know who makes that stock but a similar and probably much better quality one is made by www.mesatactical.com. I have one of their sidesaddels and the quality is very impressive. I have handled an 870 with their stock and it was very well made. If I didn't get a Knoxx stock I would have gotten a Mesa Tactical. Oh one more thing when I ordered my stock from Knoxx if you told them you were a member of a gub forum they gave you 10% off.

What's with all the recoil sissys?? I've been shooting 12 guage shotguns since I was old enough to get a bird license (before that truthfully) and I've never had a problem. I don't consider myself overly macho, especially when I was 12 yrs old. When the SHTF I don't think it will matter much. Follow-up shots shouldn't be affected if properly shouldered. Just my 2-cents. Get what "feels" right to you. Don't worry about recoil.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Sponsored Links