Which Mossberg 590A1, heavy wall or standard barrel???

This is a discussion on Which Mossberg 590A1, heavy wall or standard barrel??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking for a new defensive shotgun and have decided on a Mossberg 590A1. Model numbers 51663 and 51668 have the heavy wall barrels and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Mossberg 590A1, heavy wall or standard barrel???

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

I'm looking for a new defensive shotgun and have decided on a Mossberg 590A1. Model numbers 51663 and 51668 have the heavy wall barrels and 50663 and 50668 have the standard barrel. The model numbers ending in 8 have the speed feed stock that hold 4 additional shells, 2 on each side.

Is the speed feed stock better or worse than adding a side saddle shell holder to a standard stock?

Is the heavy wall barrel model worth a few extra bucks?

Let me hear your pros and cons...thanks in advance!
    Proud NRA member

VIP Member
    For me, I don't want to pay the weight penalty of the heavier wall barrel. But then again I baby my guns. If you think you'll need the extra strength then go for it, but if you're like me and it will sit in a closet for most of it's life, then no.

I like the idea of the speed feed stock but I've never owned one and can't really give you a definitive answer on that one.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    Unless you are shooting questionable ammo, I would not worry about the heavy barrel. I'd rather have the swing and maneuverability of the lighter barrel. The 590 is a heavy slug as it is. I do not care for the speed feed stock either.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would tend to agree with what has already been said. I do own a 590A1 with the heavy barrel. It tips the scales at just under 10 pounds, with a 18.5 inch barrel, 7 rounds of ammo and sling. I have heard very mixed reviews about the speed feed stock. Though I do not have one myself, it does not seem worth it. I prefer a defensive shotgun to have a relatively short stock and from the factory they are quite long.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I have to ask what kind of ammo would a person use (and how often would you have to use it) that might justify getting a heavy barrel? I'm no engineer but I suspect a standard barrel is already sufficient for pretty much anything you'd put in the chamber.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    I was under the impression that the heavier walled barrel was not for ammo but for the structural integrity of the barrel during hard core combat type use. You don't want to damage your barrel while you are smashing it down on your enemy's head.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    You don't want to damage your barrel while you are smashing it down on your enemy's head.
    Fair point.

Although if the battle has turned my shotgun into a bludgeon I've probably got bigger concerns than replacing the barrel.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Heavy wall. The heavy wall version of the 590A1 is designed to not blow the barrel if the muzzle is plugged. In a combat or SHTF situation it is all too easy to stick the muzzle down into the ground (mud, loam, sand, snow, etc.).

For me, I don't want to pay the weight penalty of the heavier wall barrel. But then again I baby my guns. If you think you'll need the extra strength then go for it, but if you're like me and it will sit in a closet for most of it's life, then no.

I like the idea of the speed feed stock but I've never owned one and can't really give you a definitive answer on that one.
    atctimmy, I looked at the specs on Mossberg's website, and both shotguns weigh the same, 7 1/4 lbs. ???
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Heavy wall. The heavy wall version of the 590A1 is designed to not blow the barrel if the muzzle is plugged. In a combat or SHTF situation it is all too easy to stick the muzzle down into the ground (mud, loam, sand, snow, etc.).
    That kinda worries me. All that pressure has to go somewhere.
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    atctimmy, I looked at the specs on Mossberg's website, and both shotguns weigh the same, 7 1/4 lbs. ???
    I don't see how that could be possible. A typo maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    That kinda worries me. All that pressure has to go somewhere.
    I'm not buying the clogged barrel argument. Are they making heavy walled M4s or heavy walled m249s?

VIP Member
    OK because I'm a bit of a loser I called Mossberg today and asked them what the heavier walled barrel is for. I was told that it is primarily about heat. The heavy barrel model gun is designed for extended shooting and heavy use and the extra steel helps keep the barrel cooler than the thinner steel.

OK because I'm a bit of a loser I called Mossberg today and asked them what the heavier walled barrel is for. I was told that it is primarily about heat. The heavy barrel model gun is designed for extended shooting and heavy use and the extra steel helps keep the barrel cooler than the thinner steel.
    atctimmy, thanks for the clarification...

Lets' see now...I live in the Memphis area, (very hot summers) and an inevitable future zombie attack, (extended use)...that does it, I'm going with the heavy walled barrel!!!
    Proud NRA member

VIP Member
    I hate Memphis zombies.

VIP Member
    I hate Illinois Nazis too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links