m&p15

m&p15

This is a discussion on m&p15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i just bought a new M&P15 its been a long time since i used a rifle so i was wonder can i use 5.56 nato ...

Thread: m&p15

m&p15

i just bought a new M&P15 its been a long time since i used a rifle so i was wonder can i use 5.56 nato round 75 grain. i heard the
    higher the grain the better knock down power

VIP Member
    OH boy.

Yes the M&P family should be chambered for 5.56 Nato so you can shoot both 5.56 Nato and .223. If you want to be sure though it will be stamped on your barrel. Also the M&P have a 1 in 9 twist rate so at longer distances the 75 and 77 grain bullets may not be very accurate. 69 grain bullets may be the ticket, you'll have to test out a few types to see what works best. Have fun.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Depending on the model it could also have a 1-8 twist but it to is fine with bullets in that weight class. I have shoot some 77gr match kings and they fly just fine in my mp15 sport.

If its a 1:9 twist, I'd probably look at some 62gr or similar. The weight can get confusing with 5.56. With OTM ammo, it fragments so you want as much weight as you can, ideal is 75 to 77gr, like TAP and mk262.

With bonded ammo, lighter is actually better in some cases like with an SBR, for example. For example, one of the best rounds for penetrating car doors, windshields, etc., would be the 50gr TSX. If you're running a 10.5" to 12.5", the 55gr TSX and 62gr will likely perform better t distance to to velocity and it's threshold for max effectiveness. The effective range where it still performs at its max with expansion is about 4 times that of the 50 yards for TAP 75gr's max range where it still fragments at its maximum and inflicts as much damage as it's capable (of course it'll still kill at 400 yards).

With 70gr TSX, that may be the best choice for longer barrels when really reaching out there or for max penetration, which can actually work against you up close and personal, hence the 55gr and 62gr possibly being a better choice for TSX. I hope this is making sense. I know what I'm trying to say, I just hope it's making sense in a post.

To sum it up, if you want a fragmenting round which is devastating on people but not the best through barriers or for hunting (though still good on hogs), then 75gr TAP is the reigning champ, it'll blow through light armor like level 2 vests and fragment extremely violently for about 50 yards from a 10.5" and about 200 yards from a 16" using the 5.56 load.

If you want to defeat barriers, hunting, are using an SBR or want something that performs better past the max fragmentation range of TAP, look at the 5.56 TSX loadings.... 50gr for close engaments around vehicles, 55gr to 70gr for SBR's or areas where you may face vehicles but also a chance of long shots past a couple hundred meters, and 70gr when hunting or looking for the best accuracy.

Then there's mk318 and other similar loads, which fragment but also have a chunk that stays in tact, so it's multi purpose... A great choice for military, but a jack of all trades, master of none for LE or civilian use.

Other good choices for bonded ammo, which in my opinion takes the 5.56 up a notch and makes it much more capable, are TBBC (Tactical Bonded Bear Claw), Ranger Bonded and Winchester Bonded.

I've decided TSX is the way to go for almost every use, though I still load 5…56 TAP 75gr in my home defense rifle (10.5") because it's LESS deadly than bonded, handgun or shotgun rounds after penetrating interior/exterior walls due to fragmentation.

If I was running a 1:9 twist like the M&P, I'd load up with 5.56 62gr TSX and be perfectly content. I'd stay away from longer/heavier loads as they'll be less accurate, and you'll see that after 100 to 200 yards, depending.

Keep in mind, though everyone talks about heavier loads losing accuracy in slower twists like 1:9, it's actually the length causing the issue. Rounds like 70gr TSX are actually longer than 75gr TAP due to their all copper construction. So, a good rule of thumb is stick to 69gr down to 50 or 55 and you'll be good to go. But, some 1:9 rifles handle longer 75gr rounds just fine while others open up to twice their accuracy rather quickly and start to keyhole.

Hope this helps and doesn't complicate it for you!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Thanks Jon, my brain hurts
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Thanks Jon, my brain hurts
    At least I'm not the only one... I cramped up about half-way through. I'm afraid to ask about a 1:7 twist...

Yeah, sorry about that! Just so everyone knows, all of my 5.56 rifles are 1:7. If anyone needs some stuff clarified or simplified, let me know. I tried to keep it simple and only talk about a couple different ammo types.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    I have an M&P15 with a 1:9 barrel. I've shot all kinds of 5.56 from XM193 to Mk262. I've shot all kinds of .223 from 50gr OTM's to 75gr TAP. I've never shot any further than 100 yards because that's the furthest my range is. It will stabilize and group 75gr .223 TAP just fine out to 100 yards. Although, I was shooting it with a 55gr .223 FMJ zero and it was WAY off. Still on paper though.

75gr TAP in .223 or 5.56 will do just fine at civilian self defense distances in a 1:9 barrel. That's what I'm loaded with now. I like the TAP for indoor use as it'll have bad barrier performence and I won't kill my neighbors. But even though it's 75gr, It will still perform at short distances (as far as accuracy goes....... you'll be off 1.5" anyway because of the tall sights). If you need deadly power and accuracy past 100 yards, I'd go with a 55gr-68gr round. I have a bunch of mk318 too for 1 year from now ;) (just kidding, I'm not really a crazy). But seriously, after doing some research, I decided that the best bang for buck as far as stock-up-defensive ammo goes, mk318 is a winner, for me. TSX, is actually a better performer, but you'll certainly pay a lot more for it.

If/when I wear out my barrel, I'm going to go with another carbine length 1:7 barrel. 1:9 does just fine for me right now. I don't see a need to upgrade.

Listen to Jon, he knows his stuff. We had a thread around here about a month or so ago about .223 and 5.56 defensive ammo choices. It's an educational read.

Links