SKS quality

This is a discussion on SKS quality within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I've decided to buy an SKS for a truck gun. I'm thinking about having my FLGS (Federally Licensed Gun Shop) order me one of ...

Thread: SKS quality

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

SKS quality

Ok, I've decided to buy an SKS for a truck gun.

I'm thinking about having my FLGS (Federally Licensed Gun Shop) order me one of the Yugo "Excellent" condition ones from AIM Surplus for $149. I know it's going to be a truck gun, but I'd rather start off with the best quality one I can find and beat it up myself if it has to get beat up.

None of the gunshops or pawn shops have any good quality SKSs in stock, the few they have are pretty well beat up, all are Norincos, and all over $200.

Any advice/ input on buying surplus firearms from AIM/ better SKSs/ anything else?

Also, I plan to get extended magazines, are the ones sold by AIM any good, are the "National Magazine" brand sold by Midway any good? Any others to consider?
    Last edited by QKShooter; August 18th, 2006 at 08:30 AM. Reason: minor addition FLGS
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Get the best grade SKS you can (the ones from AIM are as good as anyone elses), some of the lesser grades often have issues like bent gas tubes, canted sights, etc... Not sure about the mags, but one thing I would do is get a folding stock for it, and lotsa ammo.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I would stay away from the extended magazines, as they often lead to many feeding issues. The SKS is not an AK, and works much better with the standard 10 round magazine.

Other than that, the YUGO SKS's are prime examples and it will serve you well. Bell sure to completely break it down and remove all the cosmoline for all parts (especially the bolt and receiver). Also, check the hammer and sear if you get a chance, to ensure proper fit.

A Great SKS resource:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp
    Fear No Evil.

VIP Member
    A SKS is a great rifle and I agree with hsuCowboy98 with the magazine. Most of the surplus SKS stocks are beaten up and made with cheap wood. But if you are fairly handy, strip and sand then refinish them. Its fairly easy and it makes for a good looking rifle. I am a big fan of the SKS (I own a Norinco) and will never get rid of mine.

VIP Member
    I own a Chinese one and it's great.

I have not, however, had any problems with the extended mags. They have always functioned well. One is USA mag, the other I don't know (cheap, second hand at a gunshow). I would say that if you want extended mags, buy one and try it out. They are about $20-25 for a 30 rounder last I saw at a Spokane gunshow.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Here's probably one of the better sites for info on the SKS

simonov.net
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I ordered an "Excellent" quality Yugo SKS from Century Int'l Arms (get your C&R if you can). "Excellent" from Century usually means "new", and in this case it was. It's a great gun that gets decent groups from crappy Wolf ammo. I would call it a perfect truck gun.

p8triot: Yup, saw that site in another post. I've been there and a few other places, but I always like first hand info as well.

QK: I've always thought that FLGS meant Friendly Local Gun Store, as opposed to Big Box type stores.

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Here's probably one of the better sites for info on the SKS

simonov.net
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Seems like the Chinese wood is a little soft, so it is not uncommon for the surplus stocks to be a little beat up. Still, I find the Chinese SKS more to my liking that the Yugo with the grenade launchers. Much more handy. My Chinese has been 100% reliable. I only use the factory 10 round magazine. My Yugo's were also reliable, but they were just a little too long for what I wanted. I also found a pretty 1950 Russian, but it was the only SKS that I've bought that was unreliable. Couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, and since I wanted an SKS as a possible defensive rifle, I traded it. I also picked up a Chinese paratrooper, that was very reliable, but I recently traded in on a Yugo AK. I had to choose between the two Chinese, and I liked the build quality a bit better on the milsurp Chinese carbine, than on the mismatched Paratrooper.
    \"What you\'ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response where you even close to expressing anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. May God have mercy on your soul.\" My adoring wife, at least once a day.

Well, I bought a Yugo SKS yesterday. I'll have pics up after I clean the cosmoline off.

Gunstore bought three from AIM Surplus in "Very Good" condition. I got the best of the 3 for $161 out the door. Wood has several marks, but they're shallow, I think I'll try sanding them out and refinishing... since I have to take the rifle apart to clean off the cosmo anyway.

Metal parts look outstanding under the cosmo, and it has the blade bayonette and grenade launcher sights.

What's a good lacquer for refinishing an SKS?

PS: I like the grenade launcher on the Yugos, I guess it's a Soldier thing. BTW, the GL is NATO spec... so if I could find some rifle grenades, that would be an AOW $5 stanp, right? ;)

PPS: Since I plan to use it for a truck gun, maybe an aftermarket synthetic stock would be better?
    Last edited by tanksoldier; August 20th, 2006 at 02:40 AM.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Wood has several marks, but they're shallow, I think I'll try sanding them out and refinishing... since I have to take the rifle apart to clean off the cosmo anyway.

Try using an iron and a wet washrag to steam out some of the shallow dings and knicks...It sounds odd, but is effective in raising these areas.

I usually refinsh SKS's with tung oil, followed by a sealing coat of aerosol polyurethane, but there are many stains and finishes that look good on the SKS, however, do not expect the wood to readily accept the first coat..it will take several to get much color from it.
    Fear No Evil.

Administrator

Post tanksoldier

"QK: I've always thought that FLGS meant Friendly Local Gun Store, as opposed to Big Box type stores."

It sure can mean exactly that - if that's what you want it to mean....then as common courtesy to new members (of which we have many) - please spell it out and don't abbreviate it.

Because if IHTMAMG then it means whatever I want it to mean.

Links