Accuracy with an AR15

This is a discussion on Accuracy with an AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Monday I took my young son out for some range time with a variety of weapon's. Dpms Ar15, Ruger 10/22, scoped 30.06 and a G23. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By atctimmy

Thread: Accuracy with an AR15

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Accuracy with an AR15

Monday I took my young son out for some range time with a variety of weapon's. Dpms Ar15, Ruger 10/22, scoped 30.06 and a G23. We shot them all and had a blast. Good father and son time. Now a little more personal info.... I have 20/40 vision with a stigmatim. I set my cardboard silloutte out at 100yds and intentionally put 8 rounds in the head. Not bragging because I don't even know if that's good or not. But is that good? I felt pretty proud since I usually only shoot from 50yds. Granted this is through iron A1 style sights. I accept ALL onions and criticism.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like effective shooting at that distance to me. Don't know how you supported the rifle. If it was off-hand it was quite good shooting.

I enjoy playing with rifles and loads from the bench rest using a rifle rest and sand bags. With carefully prepared handloads using good Sierra 52 grain match bullets my Colt AR 15 will group 1 1/4-inches for five shots at a hundred yards. It's the SP-1 variation with factory iron sights.

Take it off the bench rest and shoot it prone position with a sling, and 1 3/4 to 2 inches is what it'll do with me behind it. I might get 8 inches out of it standing off-hand but usually will get one or two "off towards Jones's" to open a 10-shot group up to 10-12 inches.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I get better with my AR every time I shoot it. It's still not as good as my 10/22 stuff (golf balls at 150 yds) but things go puff bigger. I've become a fan of the 4" gong. TING!

sgb
    You're doing better than many I've seen.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Monday I took my young son out for some range time with a variety of weapon's. Dpms Ar15, Ruger 10/22, scoped 30.06 and a G23. We shot them all and had a blast. Good father and son time. Now a little more personal info.... I have 20/40 vision with a stigmatim. I set my cardboard silloutte out at 100yds and intentionally put 8 rounds in the head. Not bragging because I don't even know if that's good or not. But is that good? I felt pretty proud since I usually only shoot from 50yds. Granted this is through iron A1 style sights. I accept ALL onions and criticism.
    going to the range tomorrow morning to bzo iron sights on ar,

I will post some pics since i just got issued bifocals for reading, Dag! im only 40

VIP Member
    A hit in the head at 100 yds with iron sights is pretty good. If I was grading it as a report card it would be a C+ or maybe even a B.
    Guest1 likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

better than I can muster. you hit what you aimed for.

I only shoot at 50 yards. need to step up and try to reach out a little farther.

you should get a scope and see what you can do.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I have the same site issues as you do . I find i can not see open sights well but add a rear peep to a rifle and I am good with that. I don't have to try to focus on the rear open site. Pistols are the same but a new by-focal lense thats set at 26"to 28" lets me "see" my handguns sights. Not as good as in my younger days but it works. My AR has a scope now.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    A reasonable, general standard for accuracy is about 4 minutes of angle (MoA) which works out to be just over 4" at 100yds. When you get to brace the rifle, take as long as you want aiming, and all that, then you should be approaching the mechanical limits of the rifle/ammo combination. That can vary widely on an AR-15. My 20" HBAR with match grade ammo is sub-MoA (maybe close to 1/2 MoA); when I shoot military 55gr ball, it is more like 2–3 MoA.

So, my take would be, head shots at 100yds are definitely a good display of marksmanship. With irons, if you were standing off-hand, I'd say it's quite a bit better than good. If you were fully supported on a bench and shooting top notch ammo, my follow-up question would be, "Eight rounds in which eye?"
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

This was actually closer to 85 yards than 100... 10 shot group with xm193 from a BCM 14.5" barrel using a T1 without the magnifier. The only rest was the magazine. I also altered my grip and cheek weld during the string, so it possibly could have been better. I have 5 shot groups closer to 1.5 MOA, but I prefer 10 shot groups for a better idea of accuracy. I'll likely not shoot groups again until 5,000 rounds to see if it has opened up at all.

I can typically get half of this with 75gr TAP. But, I'm much more concerned with making first round hits in a respectable MOA range than the actual group.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    A reasonable, general standard for accuracy is about 4 minutes of angle (MoA) which works out to be just over 4" at 100yds. When you get to brace the rifle, take as long as you want aiming, and all that, then you should be approaching the mechanical limits of the rifle/ammo combination. That can vary widely on an AR-15. My 20" HBAR with match grade ammo is sub-MoA (maybe close to 1/2 MoA); when I shoot military 55gr ball, it is more like 2–3 MoA.

So, my take would be, head shots at 100yds are definitely a good display of marksmanship. With irons, if you were standing off-hand, I'd say it's quite a bit better than good. If you were fully supported on a bench and shooting top notch ammo, my follow-up question would be, "Eight rounds in which eye?"

I was sitting and using crappy Monarch ammo from Academy Sports. The last time I shot the AR was back in June.

didnt get to go today, have to wait til monday. I will post some pics of 100 yds offhand with iron sights. maybe a video if i can ever figure it out

Links