Saiga Conversion Customability?

This is a discussion on Saiga Conversion Customability? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, first time poster. I am looking to get a Saiga 7.62 and convert it to an AK style as opposed to a sportster ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oberst

Thread: Saiga Conversion Customability?

Saiga Conversion Customability?

Hey guys, first time poster.

I am looking to get a Saiga 7.62 and convert it to an AK style as opposed to a sportster style. I was going to pick one up at my local show and then look for a conversion kit, but the local shop was out. That brought me to looking around online, where i found Classic Arms (and their ridiculously cheap prices on the rifles). They are offering a converted Saiga for $449, which seems like a good price to me after taking the kit and labor charges into account.

Only issue with that they are showing is that they aren't providing very many details on the conversion, other than it is 922c compliant.

Out of this comes two questions:
    1) anyone gone with there preconverted rifle?
    2) If i want to recustomize things later on, will i be able to do that, or will i have regretted not doing the conversion myself?

I've looked into a ton of things and settled that saiga is my best option, but being able to buy it preconverted for a decent price has thrown me off a bit.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

(Here is a link to the rifle I am referencing: Temp_down)

2. Remove Ads

If you Google Saiga conversions by Classic Arms you will find a few postings from Saiga12 forum. Looks like nothing bad and yes, you can continue to wrench on the rifle.

The pic on their website shows a US mag. Not sure if it is for 922r.

Doing your own conversion is not that difficult. Search in here and you will find a few threads about conversions.

This calculator helps with 922r fun.

http://jobson.us/922r/

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    If you Google Saiga conversions by Classic Arms you will find a few postings from Saiga12 forum. Looks like nothing bad and yes, you can continue to wrench on the rifle.

The pic on their website shows a US mag. Not sure if it is for 922r.Doing your own conversion is not that difficult. Search in here and you will find a few threads about conversions.

This calculator helps with 922r fun.

Section 922r
    More than likely. Back when I converted my Saiga I was told by one vendor that the magazine counts as the three parts needed. Regardless if he was blowing smoke or not I also added two other US made parts which were supposedly compliant.

Sounds like a good deal, OP. Pull the trigger.

Yup US mags are three parts. Used to run US Saiga mags before bullet guide and mag catch file. I changed a gas piston on one rifle and added US hand guard on another to run milsurp mags.

Basic conversion parts are starting around $140ish...that's $439 before FFL and shipping. The $449 deal doesn't sound all that bad unless you want to work on the gun yourself.

I got mine from Mississippi Arms already converted last year. I think it is well worth it.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

VIP Member
    The rifles look pretty good and the little bit I searched the company seems fine.

You can always add or take away down the road. I had my Saiga's done by Rifle Dynamics, not for everyone but they are the best at what they do.

I have not been home yet to take pics of mine but these are from the site.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I thought I saw that the bullet guides are welded instead if bolted. might have been on the saga forum.

that may be a problem for some. others will never know the difference. I guess it depends on ones intended purpose for it.

I will go ahead and recommend doing it yourself. its fun and easy. plus you learn about what makes an ak run. good info for if you ever have to trouble shoot a problem. plus you are not paying to reconfigure a completed gun. its customized during the initial process. saving you money.

look at atlantic arms. they offer one for around $450. it is unconverted but has a finished front end. by that I mean the front sight post will accept a muzzle brake, the hand guards have been switched to ak style, and will take a cleaning kit and bayonet. the materials alone to do that is going to be 150.

I wish they had those guns out a few months ago when I did mine.

besides, its winter and there is nothing much else to do. just saw your in Texas. maybe winter isn't as rough down there.

The welded bullet guide and trigger guard shouldn't be an issue.

Out of curiosity I priced the Tapco Stock, Bullet Guide, Grip Screw and Nut, Molot Style Grip, FCG and Tapco Mag at CSS. Comes out to $119. That would be a $418 total with the $299 unconverted rifle....a $31 difference before any shipping or FFL. Not a bad deal.

Those Atlantics with the front ends done are very nice.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Converting A Saiga is relatively easy if you have even basic handyman skills. Even if you go very slowly you can do it easily on a weekend afternoon. Classic Arms is a very good vendor and well respected. The Saiga rifles they are offering were converted for Classic by a local (in NC) shop near Classics facility. If the bullet guides are welded right it will not be an issue. The conversion project is a fun and fulfilling project but the converted rifles by Classic should serve you well IMO if you decide to go that route.

I usually get my Saiga parts here. They are great people to deal with and their pricing is about the best on the web for Saiga rifles and parts.
    carolinashooterssupply.com Home Page

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Good to hear that the weld is no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    just saw your in Texas. maybe winter isn't as rough down there.
    It's 57 degrees right now. This is the pretty much the coldest its been so far. Still waiting for winter to begin....

I built my last computer (apples and oranges, I know), so I get what y'all are saying about converting it and the feeling that goes along with doing something yourself. I'm going to watch a few more videos before I commit to it, but I'm leaning towards doing it myself. I have a local gun shop in town that sells the unconverted rifle for about $350, so factoring in shipping and the FFL transfer fee, ill take spend that few extra bucks and feel good for supporting the local economy and a privately owned business.

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. Once its all said and done, I'll add pics to the AK thread.

Now on to searching for the right conversion kit....
    boricua likes this.

Links