Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 9mm Carbine: Yes or No - Page 2

Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 9mm Carbine: Yes or No

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 9mm Carbine: Yes or No within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Would like to have one , think it would be a good little house gun. Especially like the ideal of using the glock mags. Have ...

View Poll Results: Buy a Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 9mm Carbine

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, get one

80 71.43%
  • No, save your $

19 16.96%
  • IDK

13 11.61%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 9mm Carbine: Yes or No

Would like to have one , think it would be a good little house gun. Especially like the ideal of using the glock mags. Have a High-point 9mm carbine and am liking it also. Just no high capacity mags with the High-point.

I vote no. I don't like Kel Tec products after getting burned with one of them.

If you're just looking for a good pistol caliber plinker I would recommend a Hi Point carbine. Cheaper and it has a lifetime warranty.

If you're looking for something for real defense applications I would recommend something better than the kel tec or Hi Point.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunTrooper View Post
    The available 33 round mags are Glock, and they seem to be among the most reliable of high capacity pistol mags I have encountered. (I also have a Marlin Camp 9 and a Ruger PC4; the high capacity mags that I have acquired for them are not reliable at all...)
    That is because the Glock 33 round factory hi cap mags are quality while the aftermarket (Promag, National Mag, USA Mags) hi cap mags for the Camp 9 and PC are crap.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I vote no. I don't like Kel Tec products after getting burned with one of them.

If you're just looking for a good pistol caliber plinker I would recommend a Hi Point carbine. Cheaper and it has a lifetime warranty.
    I
    I agree with you that Kel Tec products quality can be spotty at best, That is why I don't own their handguns. But as someone who owns both a HP995 and KT Sub 2000 there is very little difference if any in quality of materials and workmanship between these two inexpensive carbines. Kel Tec will also fix the rifle for life under warranty. If you want a fun inexpensive plinker either will fit the bill. Since I own several AR's and AK's for more serious social work, that is the role they fill for me. But that being said, don't underestimate what these little "cheap" rifles can do. They are not toys and can lay down some highly effective firepower if called to do so.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

The thing that is attractive to me about this idea is the "sharing ammo" concept, particularly since you can use your pistol mags. That feature may come in handy some day. Beyond that, I've not fired or held one and am not a 9mm guy so my opinion is totally without use to you. What's your gut say?
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by rogertc1 View Post
    The Sub 2000 is the cat's meow!!
    Indeed it is!!!! I have one in .40. Add a quad-rail, forend vertical grip, flashlight, and aimpoint....along some Hi Cap magazines and let the fun begin!

my gut always says buy
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    my gut always says buy
    Then go with your gut!!

If you gut said sell then I'd send you some Rolaids. : )
    Last edited by atctimmy; December 28th, 2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: ninjas
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I have the .40 S&W version with the glock internals and love mine. Haven't had any mag issues or a single failure to feed yet. Love it!!

-Be Safe-
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    So these little guys are starting to sound interesting to me. Any personal experiences with them? I am looking for some reports on accuracy, dependability, maintenance, ballistics, etc.

I'm not sure where this will fit in with my collection but what the heck. What could it be used for? I got a .22 rifle for small game, got a .223 for something bigger, and a 12 gauge for the boom effect. The bonus is I do have a couple of Glock 9mm pistols so I already have a collection of magazines to work with the sub2000.
    Hey Justified: You stole my thread......not really. I have been thinking about the Sub 2000 for a few weeks now. Although our collections are similar we have the same small hole in our collections that could be filled with a utilitarian carbine like the Sub 2000. You just asked the quality question first. Thanks, now I can sit back be lazy and get the answer to my question on the reliability of the Kel Tec carbine.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

I purchased a new Sub2000 earlier this year that uses the Sig P226 magazine so that I can use it with my Sig P229. I was able to purchase mine for $275. You will have fun and enjoy it. God Bless

Makes sense to me ,,,,, but I have been considering the 40 cal
    version,,,, ,,,, I guess since I have a Glock model 22 in 40cal.
    The 40 would have fewer rounds per magazine,,,, 10, 15, & 22.

I plan to get a Sub9 with S&W mags to match my truck gun a Kel-tec P11 with the same mags. I will find one in 2012.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

The answer is always yes. If you can afford to purchase a weapon, and you want it, buy it.

Kel Tec has a lifetime warranty on everything the manufacture. As does HiPoint. In both cases, I have never heard of a customer that wasn't satisfied with the warranty service from either of these companies.

I know that HiPoint is generous in their repair policy and will often send an extra magazine back with a repaired firearm... And I know that HiPoint honors the guarantee on the gun, whether you are the original purchaser or not.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I had a couple issues with my .40 version, but all is well now. It's a handy little guy. Fits perfect in a Craftsman cordless drill bag.

Pistol for 0 - 50y
    Sub2K for 25-150y
    AR for 50 - 300y
    PSL for 100 - 1000y (talk about hail Mary shots)
    AI .338L (in my dreams) 500 - 1500Y
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I want! I just couldn't find a 9mm one to save my life when I was actively looking for it. I'd also really love it if one was made to share XD mags... Fwiw, my keltec p3at has been perfectly reliable starting with the 2nd trip to the range, even after I dropped it in a river and several cleanings later, it still sounds like there's a bunch of sand in the works. Still fires every time, though.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links