Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 9mm Carbine: Yes or No - Page 3

Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 9mm Carbine: Yes or No

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 9mm Carbine: Yes or No within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have the sub 2000 9mm and it packs up real nice in a little computer case with 6 High cap magazines, very portable and ...

View Poll Results: Buy a Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 9mm Carbine

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, get one

80 71.43%
  • No, save your $

19 16.96%
  • IDK

13 11.61%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 9mm Carbine: Yes or No

I have the sub 2000 9mm and it packs up real nice in a little computer case with 6 High cap magazines, very portable and stelthy. The only complaint is its still 9mm. Your limited on velocity and range, but you have some good close range fire power and the wife can handle it easily. But for most of us I'd just as soon as have a AR carbine in 5.56 or 762X51.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    the sub2000 is not legal in my state...but I do own a JR carbine in 9mm and love it. great short range defense rifle, very accurate, reliable, and a BLAST to shoot...my wife and kids can shoot it with no recoil!!
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    I agree about the mags all the Ruger mini aftermarket mags I have bought are junk that don't even fit. I figure a 9mm in a rifle set would have about zero movement on bang, so it would be good for anyone to shoot. Are there any rounds tailored for a rifle set up?
    My Kel Tec will take FMJ or Hollow point; I do avoid using aluminum casings though. Not sure if it makes a better HD gun than a shotgun. Pro's and cons to both.

I have a 870 20ga I have trained the wife to use and she is actually fairly proficient with it. But the 9mm offers less recoil, less noise (less threat of hearing loss when fired inside a house), quicker follow up shots, and more capacity. The 20 ga offers better terminal effects and easier to operate the action (wife has trouble overcoming the spring in the carbine...)

The only experience I have with them is watching 3 of their employees using them in a 3 gun match. They seemed to be very accurate and I didn't see any malfunctions at all.

No complaints on our Sub 2000 9mm. I say go for it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

This looks like a pretty neat gun, I have the itch to get a couple of guns this month and stumbled across this Kel Tec Sub 2000...I do alot of camping and i'll either be getting an AR this week or looking at this gun and another.

I took a 10year break from guns ( was a dealer and comp shooter, got married...blah blah) some cool stuff has popped up in the gun world.

I'm not sure on this gun yet, I had a keltec 9mm for a pocket gun I just felt like I couldn't trust it even though it never failed on me...myth feelings i'm sure.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I have one on order, it's non-restricted so i can carry it most places and take it to the cottage. It's a replacement for a pistol which we can't have and it's smaller than my Storm. Up here the going price is $600.00 plus tax

600?? you poor canadians :(

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    the sub2000 is not legal in my state...but I do own a JR carbine in 9mm and love it. great short range defense rifle, very accurate, reliable, and a BLAST to shoot...my wife and kids can shoot it with no recoil!!
    The sub2000 is legal in MI. Not sure why you think otherwise. I own one in .40 cal. It seems to work o k and makes a good fold up stow away gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have the glock 17 version. With the kt rail for a light and a spare 19 round may in the stock carrier they sell I feel it is a great little travel gun. It is small enough to live in my night stand next to my glock 19. Buy one when you find one. They are hard to come by. I love mine.

Got to shoot a buddy's Sub 2000 in .40 S & W this weekend. Really liked it. No issues. We were comparing bug out (stowed in the bag,not to carry) guns. Mine is a Henry AR-15. Might have to jump on the KelTech bandwagon now.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

I've been trying to track one down with no luck so far.

My buddy has one in a .40 that shoots nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    I plan to get a Sub9 with S&W mags to match my truck gun a Kel-tec P11 with the same mags. I will find one in 2012.
    Be aware that the Sub 2K S&W does NOT accept "new-style" 5906 magazines -- the new magazines have a baseplate that's wider than the mag body. The magazine well on the Kel-Tec wants to "wrap around" the magazine baseplate -- so they won't fit. Only older-style (or P11) magazines where the baseplate is the same width as the magazine body will work.

I've also found that the 30 round extended magazines I've used won't work -- the mag release button won't catch and the magazine falls out.

My wife bought me a 40 cal Kel Tec 2000 last year for my 60 TH birthday. She a good wife!

I mounted a laser sight on it I had laying around. Sighted it in and can draw 3 inch circle on paper at 25 yards

I keep it in a hydration backpack in my truck for a back up. Should I ever have to walk after a breakdown or something. And when riding my motorcycle on trips to go camping I carry it with me for things that go bump in the night. I use a Sten Gun Mag pouch to carry three 30 cal magazines and one 15 in the gun.

They make a great back woods or urban protection weapon
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

I own ones in 9 & 40!!! Very fun guns and great for BOB kits.
    Easy to carry and very accurate at under 100 yards.
    I recommend for all to get one if you can....

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links