Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 9mm Carbine: Yes or No

Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 9mm Carbine: Yes or No

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 9mm Carbine: Yes or No within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So these little guys are starting to sound interesting to me. Any personal experiences with them? I am looking for some reports on accuracy, dependability, ...

View Poll Results: Buy a Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 9mm Carbine

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, get one

80 71.43%
  • No, save your $

19 16.96%
  • IDK

13 11.61%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 9mm Carbine: Yes or No

Question Kel-Tec Sub Rifle 2000 9mm Carbine: Yes or No

So these little guys are starting to sound interesting to me. Any personal experiences with them? I am looking for some reports on accuracy, dependability, maintenance, ballistics, etc.

I'm not sure where this will fit in with my collection but what the heck. What could it be used for? I got a .22 rifle for small game, got a .223 for something bigger, and a 12 gauge for the boom effect. The bonus is I do have a couple of Glock 9mm pistols so I already have a collection of magazines to work with the sub2000.
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

It makes for a readily totable long gun (roughly 16X9 when folded). A lot of times I'll stash mine in a paintball gun bag and toss it in the back when traveling. The sights were ok, not great - my front sight may have been slightly canted... I mounted a Weaver converta-mount on the forestock and use it with a Millet red dot. That was a homebrew project - not a factory enabled option!

Nick
    Last edited by nikdfish; December 27th, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
    Retired FBOP
    NRA Life member

The Sub 2000 is the cat's meow!!
    Wolf357 likes this.

Rugeroo357 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Seems OK to me. How much $?
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Didn't vote, because it's too subjective. But....my opinion is they can defintely bridge the gap between a pistol and rifle caliber. Gives you distance, more accurate firepower at that distance and shares mags with pistol. Also carrys easy and is easily stowable. Really, what's not to like?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I have one, only because it made sense and my LGS had a $375 price tag on it. It was more of a whim purchase.

The sights do stink, and if you mount a scope, folding it back up isn't an option anymore. I'm hoping Pirate chimes in. He has his pimp'ed out with a scope mount that holds zero when he takes it off. I really like his setup.

I also saw a you-tube where a guy crafted a spring-loaded door hinge to serve as the base for the scope mount, so it just flipped to the side for fold up.

I've seen some ridiculous bids for these things online, but if you can get one for a reasonable price, it's hard not to like a collapsible carbine that you can slap a Glock 33 rnd stick in, and go to work.

With a 33 round Glock mag= fun,fun,fun,great therapy too

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Didn't vote, because it's too subjective. But....my opinion is they can defintely bridge the gap between a pistol and rifle caliber. Gives you distance, more accurate firepower at that distance and shares mags with pistol. Also carrys easy and is easily stowable. Really, what's not to like?
    This helps because I am really just trying to talk myself into "needing" one....
    jackson85746 likes this.
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    It totally depends on what you want it for, or need it for. The Sub 2000 makes a good HD or truck gun and if you get the carbine in the same caliber/mag configuration as your side arm that makes a good combo setup. Its handy, very light, very manageable recoil and it folds in half for storage or carry. They are accurate enough for the work its designed for. They make fun plinkers and are generally reliable but they are not combat tough weapons by any means. The plastic sights and plastic furniture are somewhat cheaply made and roughly finished with is typical of Kel Tec. CDNN has been selling the Glock mag units for $299. Kel Tec makes several factory upgrade parts/accessories and there are a couple companies that make some good aftermarket upgrade parts also, including replacement front sight and replacement hand-guard with rails. Kel Tec also has a good Customer service rep.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I think it's a good HD gun that can be easily operated, in a pinch, by members of the family who are not avid shooters (wife....). Would be a nice carry along for a camper or hiker, and could be easily carried in a Katrina scenario. The available 33 round mags are Glock, and they seem to be among the most reliable of high capacity pistol mags I have encountered. (I also have a Marlin Camp 9 and a Ruger PC4; the high capacity mags that I have acquired for them are not reliable at all...)

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    With a 33 round Glock mag= fun,fun,fun,great therapy too

Quote Originally Posted by GunTrooper View Post
    I think it's a good HD gun that can be easily operated, in a pinch, by members of the family who are not avid shooters (wife....). Would be a nice carry along for a camper or hiker, and could be easily carried in a Katrina scenario. The available 33 round mags are Glock, and they seem to be among the most reliable of high capacity pistol mags I have encountered. (I also have a Marlin Camp 9 and a Ruger PC4; the high capacity mags that I have acquired for them are not reliable at all...)
    I agree about the mags all the Ruger mini aftermarket mags I have bought are junk that don't even fit. I figure a 9mm in a rifle set would have about zero movement on bang, so it would be good for anyone to shoot. Are there any rounds tailored for a rifle set up?
    - George Orwell Military

If you want a long gun that breaks down nice and small for travel and storage, you may wish to consider a coach gun. Not too many folks are going to argue with two barrels of 12 gauge.

If you're worried about the Mrs shooting it, just get some reduced recoil shells.

Done.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I had thought seriously about buying one of these a year or so ago. But I finally decided I had no use for it. I think I'd rather spend my money on one of those "tactical" 22 rifles such as the M&P15 or the Ruger SR-22. After all, I would only use a rifle like this for plinking so why would I want to eat up 9mm or 45 rounds?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links