Home defense setup - Page 4

Home defense setup

This is a discussion on Home defense setup within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For a shot gun that will remain where it maybe needed for HD hard to beat the Maverick 88 right length as is low cost ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Home defense setup

For a shot gun that will remain where it maybe needed for HD hard to beat the Maverick 88 right length as is low cost 159-189. They are well made and with out fault.
    I have a couple of them. No reason in the world to have a lot of cash tied up in a weapon for that use.
    Olduser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    For a shot gun that will remain where it maybe needed for HD hard to beat the Maverick 88 right length as is low cost 159-189. They are well made and with out fault.
    I have a couple of them. No reason in the world to have a lot of cash tied up in a weapon for that use.
    If you're considering a shotty purchase for HD why pay hundreds of dollars? They all eat the same stuff and puke it out very reliably. Spend the savings on range time or a quality belt, holster or dinner with the wife/girlfriend. If I had it to do over I would make many changes to my original choices about a lot of things. Too soon old and to late smart.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Well guys, thanks for the input! After all this, I have decided on the following:A friend sold me his DPMS Panther 16" for $700. Wife shot it, and said "Wow, this thing doesn't kick that bad...actually kinda fun!". To me, that's all the endorsement I need! I bought3 extra Magpul 30 round mags, which stay loaded in the biometric safe. As far as ammo goes, I have decided on the Federal XM ball stuff, alternating with Federal Powershok. That gives a good mix of penetration from the XM stuff, and expansion from the PowerShok stuff. Gun is secured to the wall of the walk-in closet with a wall-mounted rack (no kids, so don't need to worry about locking it right now). I've also installed a pressure-controlled 100 lumen light to the side-rail on the handgrip. As far as the saferoom goes, I have obtained a solid door wedge to place under the bedroom door, bought a new solid-core door from Home Depot with inside hinges, had a peephole installed, had a deadbolt installed. I also have a very thick oak dresser which is placed up against the edge of the doorjamb. This should help prevent wall shoot-through, and could be shoved in front of the door if needed. I also have a small nightstand that I have placed on a wall near the door. On top is a cell phone charger and a cell phone (dedicated ONLY to the safe room, never to be used elsewhere).Anything I'm missing?
    So what, now you're some type of Rambo? You must be, according to many. Personally, I think you made a great choice. Get out to some training classes and learn the rifle well.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Anything I'm missing?
    A .410 upper! lol ... But for the door, I am personally looking into an Adam's Rite 2-point Deadbolt J&M Lock, Inc - Adams Rite Two-Point Deadbolt for Wood Doorsfor upgrading an entire room into a walk-in safe. I sold door hardware for years and those are sweet. But it's not a simple install.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

That's one area I need to research more. I'd really like a safe room, especially for the wife and kids.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

The best home defense is smarts, don't over think anything but expect the worst. Locking yourself in a room might work for some but others to be on defensive ; Me I would go nuts waiting for someone to “FREE” me; NO; sorry for me it’s best to at least take some stance to protect what I own (stand “my” ground)

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    The best home defense is smarts, don't over think anything but expect the worst. Locking yourself in a room might work for some but others to be on defensive ; Me I would go nuts waiting for someone to “FREE” me; NO; sorry for me it’s best to at least take some stance to protect what I own (stand “my” ground)
    I'm not the "hunker down" type either. I would like some extra security though, mainly for the family.

VIP Member
    Good decision OP, especially for the wife and your situation. You're already ahead of the curve with your safe room planning. Every situation is different, but the M-4 clone is the most flexible platform for multiple users due to low recoil, high capacity, and adjustable stock. Buy lots of ammo for the both of you.

If you decide later to add a shottie, I recommend the 870 Express with an 18" cyl bore 12 ga tube. Since I don't have any neighbors or kids in the house, I'm not worried about what the slug does after it penetrates a BG or thumps his armor. I have a 25 rd bandoleer I can grab to keep it fed, because my Wingmaster is not tricked out. The way I load my wheel weight cast slugs, it's not spouse friendly. She's darn good with her M4 to back me up or hold her own in the safe room. A charged up cell phone and 45 are on body at all times. But in case the dogs give me enough warning to get outside to set up an ambush potential, I'll be in the woods with an AR10.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links