Home defense setup

Home defense setup

This is a discussion on Home defense setup within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, I've decided that my current safe-room setup, which consists of a solid-core bedroom door with deadbolt, heavy armchair to barricade door, 150 lumen ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Home defense setup

Question Home defense setup

Hey guys,

I've decided that my current safe-room setup, which consists of a solid-core bedroom door with deadbolt, heavy armchair to barricade door, 150 lumen flashlight, cell phone and charger, .40 S&W XD40 subcompact, Bodyguard 380 ACP, and aluminum baseball bat, could use a little extra muscle. I can shoot just fine with the .40 and .380, but my wife hates handguns. She won't touch them. I travel a fair bit, so that's a concern to me. However, she has expressed interest in learning to shoot a 12 gauge, since she used to shoot longguns with her father as child (he passed from cancer about 10 years ago).

I'm pretty set on the Maverick 88. I know it's not a $1000 Benelli, but for plasting clay pigeons, jugs, and keeping handy for home invasions, I figure it can't be beat. That said, I'm looking for recommendations on ammo (0 or 00 buck, currently thinking of the Winchester Ranger stuff), a rail for mounting a weapons light, and a decent light. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks!

The Maverick is basically just a cheaper Mossberg so you should be fine.

I would think that in most HD situations 00 Buck should be just fine.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Administrator
    K.I.S.S... Any 00 from a reputable manufacture is going to be just fine. That said, buy a box of five from a few different makes and test the pattern at a few different distances. Which ever one holds the best pattern, buy a few boxes of.

Lights and rails... any quality light will do, the Surefire G2 is inexpensive and popular because it works well. Rails- not so sure. There are not many quality rail makers out there for a Maverick. I'd really really encourage you to go with a 590 or 870 express.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    For my home defense needs I don't trust anything that doesn't shoot 12 GA 00 buck shot. It's just my wife, dogs and myself so I'm not going to have to move anywhere to secure kids or anything so I just lock ourselves in the bedroom and if they come in I'm going to start blasting. I have a 45 for my night stand gun, but I just don't trust it to stop a BG while I'm barricaded in a room. I do believe that a well placed shot to the center mass with buck shot will achieve the desired results.

Take a look at this shotty. http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb.../New/52133.jpg

The short barrel will help if you need to maneuver in the home if your situation requires it.

Any reason you don't choose an AR?

A shotgun is surely a good choice when loaded for the job. I'd suggest Hornady TAP. There's a newer load that has a smaller slug or disk with 00 buck. Any of the "tactical" or "LE" loads are a good choice as well as any 00 buck.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Great, guys, thanks a lot.

And Jon, it's for my wife as well, for when I'm gone. She won't shoot ARs :(

Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    Great, guys, thanks a lot. And Jon, it's for my wife as well, for when I'm gone. She won't shoot ARs :(
    Gotcha! Just wanted to make sure you considered all your options.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

You may also find this useful...

Self-defense shotgun shell selection guide & FAQ

A good post by Dr Roberts on the new Federal LE load as well - http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...n-loads-for-LE
    marcclarke and MisterAvis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Any reason you don't choose an AR?

A shotgun is surely a good choice when loaded for the job. I'd suggest Hornady TAP. There's a newer load that has a smaller slug or disk with 00 buck. Any of the "tactical" or "LE" loads are a good choice as well as any 00 buck.
    I love the AR platform but I don't think its the best weapon for home defense. I've see way to many times in Iraq and Afghanistan were a 5.56 / .223 just didn't get the job done the way we wanted it to. We had to pump 5 to 6 rounds into someone to get them to go down. I like the idea of some 00 buck going into a guy vice a few .223 rounds

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I love the AR platform but I don't think its the best weapon for home defense. I've see way to many times in Iraq and Afghanistan were a 5.56 / .223 just didn't get the job done the way we wanted it to. We had to pump 5 to 6 rounds into someone to get them to go down. I like the idea of some 00 buck going into a guy vice a few .223 rounds
    That may be true, but the awesome thing about privately owned AR's is you can use whatever ammo you want There are some very nice rounds available in .223 and 5.56 that the Military doesn't use. Just a thought. While I think there are much better rounds than a 5.56, I think 5.56 holds it's own. Fortunately, I've never shot anybody so I wouldn't really know.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    That may be true, but the awesome thing about privately owned AR's is you can use whatever ammo you want There are some very nice rounds available in .223 and 5.56 that the Military doesn't use. Just a thought. While I think there are much better rounds than a 5.56, I think 5.56 holds it's own. Fortunately, I've never shot anybody so I wouldn't really know.
    True I didn't think of different bullets. However I can think of quite a few different rounds that would be fit the bill better than at .223 / 5.56.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    True I didn't think of different bullets. However I can think of quite a few different rounds that would be fit the bill better than at .223 / 5.56.
    Once we get into TAP or TSX, it's quite a game changer. a good friend of mine has made the same comments as you about m855. He mentioned the Mk262 being considerably better but once he for some brown tip, he said they were dropping at a much quicker pace.

The problem with Mk262 is that it doesn't start to really perform until it's halfway through the body or more. Brown tip will start to really perform at its peak within 1.5" to 2" all the way through or until it stops.

I don't want this to become a caliber war in any way but for me, 5.56 is the best choice since I use one nearly every day and 95% of my regular training is on an AR or a handgun (Glock or 1911). I have many weapons that will fit the bill nicely, but I don't perform as well with them. We all should know by now that training is the key with the weapon systems we choose. That makes much more of a difference than calibers.

Having said that, I do keep an 8" PSD 6.8 in my office, though I prefer my 10.5" in 5.56.

Dr Roberts (our foremost authority on ballistics along with Fackler) put it well when he said something like this - "If I'm hunkered down defending a room or against one assailant, I'll take a shotgun with buckshot. If I'm clearing my home or a building or facing an unknown number of assailants, I'll take an AR in 5.56 every time."

I use #1 buckshot in my Remington 870 Express pump:

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    There are just no real fact based reasons, or analysis, to use anything other than a 12ga shotgun with #1 or #00 buck, and possibly a slug choice as well, as the one and only home defense weapon.

Well, there is one reason; if you only have one hand or one arm. In this case a small weapon that can be used with one hand/arm would be necessary.

A shotgun will do everything, and much much more, than any pistol will do or that any rifle will do that is still safe enough to use indoors or in residential areas.

With 12ga buckshot or slugs, you will:
    - Defeat almost any body armor (not necessarily penetrate)
    - Cause the most damage to the human body
    - Get maximum penetration and affected area
    - Defeat almost any barrier
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

There's numerous fact based reasons why a rifle can be superior. Also, if the shotgun was the better choice, we'd see pretty much everyone that does entries switching over to shotguns. They serve a purpose and are a great choice. Side by side with a serious anoint of training and not just a how-to class, there are numerous reasons to choose a rifle.

I'm not sure why this needs so much repeating, but an OTM or even FMJ 5.56 will be less deadly after penetrating interior/exterior walls. Buckshot will penetrate more walls and still be extremely dangerous to those a few rooms away. 5.56 will still be dangerous, but will have fragmented to some point and be less dangerous than a typical 9mm, 45acp or 12 gauge.

To say a shotgun is much better than a rifle is just wrong! Comparable in equally trained hands, sure. It has its place, but it's certainly not much better than an AR. I know very few people that have real training on the AR, like advanced trainng classes, shoot houses, etc., that say the shotgun is a better choice except for hunkering down and watching and defending one area, or as Dr Roberts says, against a single assailant.

But, before people start saying one is better than the other, I'd absolutely hope they've spent time with both systems in shoot houses with quality trainers. I've been in enough shoot houses as a student and an instructor to know that FOR ME, the AR is the best choice. Most I know with the same experiences say the same thing, though occasionally some serious SG guy will come along that just prefers the system and cleans house.

I don't really care as long as they've given all the options a chance, especially before they publicly say one is better than the other, and that they get the job done quickly and efficiently if the time comes.

When I had to shoot a guy in defense, it was with his 32... Go figure.

Post 25 and so on - http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=48765&page=2

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=44869

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....gun#post269200

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35130
    tacman605 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links