Defensive Carry banner

AK Question????

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  usmc0811 
#1 ·
I have been looking at getting an AK for a few months now and was thinking of getting a Polish milled 1960 model i found one for sale for $689 on a web site, Looks really nice.
But I also found a Tula Arsenal Marked AK47, built using imported Bulgarian\Russian Tula Arsenal marked kits with enough us parts to make it 922r legal. My question is what is Tula Arsenal. Is it made by Arsenal and what does 922R mean? I think it looked nicely put together and for $699 just a tad more than the milled polish 1960 model but is it as good,better or worse than the milled 1960. can somone steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

#2 ·
Tula is a city in Russia where one of the 2 top Russian arsenals are/were located. The other is Izhevsk. It simply means this particular AK was built in the Tula facility.
922R is a... well; read here - TAPCO - Section 922r Compliance

From what I've read and heard the Polish models are supposed to be more well built and finished but some parts may be a little different and not interchangeable with other AKs. I'm sure someone will chime in shortly to confirm or add info.

#4 ·
I have been looking at getting an AK for a few months now and was thinking of getting a Polish milled 1960 model i found one for sale for $689 on a web site, Looks really nice.
But I also found a Tula Arsenal Marked AK47, built using imported Bulgarian\Russian Tula Arsenal marked kits with enough us parts to make it 922r legal.

My question is what is Tula Arsenal. Is it made by Arsenal and what does 922R mean?
No. Tula is the Russian armory that builds guns for the Russian State. Arsenal is a US company that assembles imported AK parts into complete rifles. The assembly of complete rifles on US soil is necessary because US companies may no longer import complete AK pattern guns into the country. Gun Control Act 1968. Which brings us to the significance of 922R. Those rifles that US companies such as Arsenal assemble must have a minimum number of American parts used. Otherwise they run afoul of the FEDERAL law that forbids the import of complete AK rifles.

I think it looked nicely put together and for $699 just a tad more than the milled polish 1960 model but is it as good,better or worse than the milled 1960. Thanks.
This is just my opinion and take it for what you deem it worth. AK pattern guns in their native state are of similar fit, finish, and performance. Some variance is introduced by the US companies that assemble the rifles for domestic consumption. Some use durable coatings, quality receivers, new-production wood furniture for their products. Others have a well deserved reputation for dumping guns on the market that were not QA before leaving the factory. Except when egregious defects are present in the assembly process, AK guns are capable of similar accuracy and dependability regardless of their country of origin. Bottom line: buy the gun that tickles your fancy. Some assemblers are more reputable than others. Do your research so that you know how to distinguish the good ones from the shaky. The base kits themselves have very little material differences between them, in spite of the gospel that AK snobs will preach you.

Hope this helps.

#5 ·
One last comment. There is a relationship between the defense contractor Arsenal JSCo of Bulgaria and Arsenal Inc of Las Vegas, NV but I'm not sure to what degree. Also, Arsenal NV is a quality gun maker. They do CNC machining to match their parts into rifles, so their products are far closer to a manufactured firearm than a gun cobbled together from random parts. Would recommend, especially for the kind of $$$ your thinking of plunking down on the milled Polish jobbie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.