Show Us Your M1 Garand! - Page 2

Show Us Your M1 Garand!

This is a discussion on Show Us Your M1 Garand! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Turning out to be a great thread. Thank you everyone for your wonderful examples and illustrations! I hope this thread continues to grow in time ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Show Us Your M1 Garand!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Turning out to be a great thread. Thank you everyone for your wonderful examples and illustrations! I hope this thread continues to grow in time as more and more members post their rifles.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks for the thread, I need a napkin to wipe up the drool. Last weekend I was pointing out an M1 to my wife, I do not have one yet. but it is on my list.

This is why i hate (love) this place. I have wanted one for some time. My grandfather had one and believe my uncle may have it. I know they arent getting any cheaper or easier to find. Might need to pony up the cash soon!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I would check the CMP program. I don't think they are as pricey as you mention, and I lucked out and got a Winchester from them. A friend of mine I hunt with gave me a hard time about getting one, now he deer hunts with one he bought...go figure. I think it's a little heavy to lug through the woods hunting, but whatever. BTW, it has to be a state that permits more than 5 shots in the mag. That state allows 10 ( Ky. )
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Regarding hunting with a Garand, enbloc clips can be modified to hold lessor amounts. It only takes a pair of snips & some needle nose pliers - or buy some already modified. As long as you don't carry an unmodified clip with you, you might be ok. (Check with your DNR folks to be sure!)

Nick

ps- Here's the HRA service grade I picked up from the CMP a few years back...

HRA-SG-1-web.jpg

inside_barrel.jpg

chamber.jpg
    bmcgilvray and QKShooter like this.
    Retired FBOP
    NRA Life member

Cool thread!! These are really nice rifles. man I wish I had one....
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog44 View Post
    Cool thread!! These are really nice rifles. man I wish I had one....
    Me too. I am sans M1 Garand myself.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    All fine rifles but the M1 garand was the rifle that won the war! Will get you a photo of my M1D that was built 3rd week Jan 1942.
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post

And the rifle of our British allies

And the battle rifle of our adversary

DefConGun likes this.

Everyone should have one..enough said
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    All fine rifles but the M1 garand was the rifle that won the war!
    No question I would have picked the Garand as my battle rifle if I had a Choice. But in Europe in WW2 casualty statistics show that 8 out of 10 German soldiers killed in combat during war where killed on the eastern front by Soviet Russians. An even though far more soldiers in WW2 were killed from artillery and MG fire than with rifles its highly likely the Mosin Nagant series rifles put far more Nazi's in the dirt than the Garand and Enfield's combined.

To put it in perspective at the Battle of Stalingrad the German's had a total of 841,000 causalities. During the Battle of the Bulge the Germans had a total of approximately 85,000.
    From a purely combat perspective (that is not counting US manufacturing contributions to the war efforts) the Russians played a far bigger part in defeating the Germans. Without question the largest and costliest battles in terms of human causality numbers both soldiers and civilian during the war in the European theater of action were fought on the eastern front.
    DefConGun and msgt/ret like this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    No question I would have picked the Garand as my battle rifle if I had a Choice. But in Europe in WW2 casualty statistics show that 8 out of 10 German soldiers killed in combat during war where killed on the eastern front by Soviet Russians. An even though far more soldiers in WW2 were killed from artillery and MG fire than with rifles its highly likely the Mosin Nagant series rifles put far more Nazi's in the dirt than the Garand and Enfield's combined.

To put it in perspective at the Battle of Stalingrad the German's had a total of 841,000 causalities. During the Battle of the Bulge the Germans had a total of approximately 85,000.
    From a purely combat perspective (that is not counting US manufacturing contributions to the war efforts) the Russians played a far bigger part in defeating the Germans. Without question the largest and costliest battles in terms of human causality numbers both soldiers and civilian during the war in the European theater of action were fought on the eastern front.
    I agree that the Mosin Nagant's killed alot of Germans but their was another theater in the South pacific. Check out the movie Enemy at the Gates. Shows the snipers in the battle of Stalingrad. I have a couple Nagants WWII era and they don't shoot half bad. Kinda fun to shoot them.

I love the Garand's. I bought my first in 1959 for a lot less than the last few. I have one or more from all of the different builders except IHC. I have been looking for an IHC to go with some old red IH tractors I own. I even have a couple M-l rifles that were built in the year I was born, along with a couple similiar M-1 carbines. I think you can tell I like the old military firearms. General Patton was right on when he described the Garand as "the greatest battle implement ever devised."

Iwo Jima Commemorative

Here is an Iwo Jima Commemorative M1. Belongs to my Marine shooting buddy. Thought you might enjoy.

QKShooter likes this.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

CMP Special Garand.jpg (Click)
    Sorry for the cell phone photo... took a while to get it this good.
    bmcgilvray and QKShooter like this.

Garand & CMP Docs

Heres the pics and info I promised. This is the original documentation from CMP that I received from the seller with this Garand. I posted the docs for anyone who may not be familiar with CMP. Click on any pic to see them 2x there size.

"The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links