Show Us Your M1 Garand!

This is a discussion on Show Us Your M1 Garand! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I watched the "Band of Brothers" marathon that was aired over Christmas break. I really enjoyed the series and couldn't help but to notice those ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Show Us Your M1 Garand!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Show Us Your M1 Garand!

I watched the "Band of Brothers" marathon that was aired over Christmas break. I really enjoyed the series and couldn't help but to notice those hard hitting rifles that our men carried during those times. I'm assuming most were carrying the M1 Garand and this got me to thinking about how I'd like to have one for a keepsake. I did a brief search and it appears that a lof of them carry a $1200-$1300 asking price? I saw one Gun Broker and it was $850 but it was a little rough and had a cracked stock.

Given my new interest, gentlemen;

Show Us Your M1 Garand!
    bmcgilvray likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Springfield from CMP. Not that hard to find but tend to be pricey. I actually have three plus an M-1 Carbine all purchased from CMP in Anniston, Al. Civilian Marksmanship Program

P1010186.jpg P1010185.jpg
    bmcgilvray and QKShooter like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Here's mine, courtesy of my father-in-law, a WWII vet of the invasions of Leyte and Okinawa; Bronze Star and Purple Heart winner. 1943 Springfield Armory with some refurbed parts (trigger group + ?)

Garand_2.jpgDSCN0353_cr.jpg
    bmcgilvray and QKShooter like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

This World War II vintage Springfield Armory produced rifle was obtained in the mid 1980s from the CMP's predecessor, the DCM. The receiver, barrel, bolt, stock, and op rod seem to all match as to the serial number, barrel date, and parts revision suffix numbers. It is a rebuild though as the rear sight is likely post-war as is the gas plug, and the trigger group is a hodge-podge of all World War II parts but some are Springfield and some are Winchester.

That's the way it came out of government stores so it'll be left alone.
    pistola and QKShooter like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Great rifles!

Thanks for sharing gentlemen!

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Springfield from CMP. Not that hard to find but tend to be pricey. I actually have three plus an M-1 Carbine all purchased from CMP in Anniston, Al. Civilian Marksmanship Program

P1010186.jpg P1010185.jpg
    Thanks for sharing the link, I'll check it out. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Here's mine, courtesy of my father-in-law, a WWII vet of the invasions of Leyte and Okinawa; Bronze Star and Purple Heart winner. 1943 Springfield Armory with some refurbed parts (trigger group + ?)

Garand_2.jpgDSCN0353_cr.jpg
    Its so neat that you know the history behind this specific rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post

This World War II vintage Springfield Armory produced rifle was obtained in the mid 1980s from the CMP's predecessor, the DCM. The receiver, barrel, bolt, stock, and op rod seem to all match as to the serial number, barrel date, and parts revision suffix numbers. It is a rebuild though as the rear sight is likely post-war as is the gas plug, and the trigger group is a hodge-podge of all World War II parts but some are Springfield and some are Winchester.

That's the way it came out of government stores so it'll be left alone.
    Very nice and I like how you know so much about your particular rifle.

"Very nice and I like how you know so much about your particular rifle."

Oh, I ain't so smart. I read it in books. Obtaining books about the firearms owned can be as much fun as the firearm itself.

Collecting and Restoring The M1 Garand

http://www.amazon.com/M1-Garand-1936.../dp/1882391195

Bruce N. Canfield - Gun Collector, Gun Collections, Author, Collector, and Historian of post-Civil War U.S. Military Weapons
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar

And the rifle of our British allies

And the battle rifle of our adversary

Last edited by pirate; January 1st, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
    bmcgilvray, pistola and QKShooter like this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Some thread drift here but Pirate, tell more about the SMLE you're featuring in the photo in your post. You say 1946. Is that original production date or a rework date? It looks pretty much like a garden variety SMLE of the Great War period, 1914-1918. What sort of markings does it possess?

I love old Lee Enfields and have a few. Of the ones I have, my 1918 No. 1 Mark III is the most accurate, despite the supposedly troublesome heavy nose cap. British arms and militaria is so cool!

Some thread drift here but Pirate, tell more about the SMLE you're featuring in the photo in your post. You say 1946. Is that original production date or a rework date? It looks pretty much like a garden variety SMLE of the Great War period, 1914-1918. What sort of markings does it possess?

I love old Lee Enfields and have a few. Of the ones I have, my 1918 No. 1 Mark III is the most accurate, despite the supposedly troublesome heavy nose cap. British arms and militaria is so cool!
    This example of the SMLE No.1 MKIII was made at the Ishapore Rifle Factory in India in 46. The Rifle Factory Ishapore (RFI) at Ishapore in India, continued to produce the SMLE in both .303 and 7.62 mm NATO until the 1980s.

bmcgilvray and pistola like this.
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Oh yes, Ishapore. Thanks, Pirate! I forgot about the Indian produced variations of the No. 1 Mark III. Yeah, pretty amazing that the very old rear-locking bolt action design was successfully adapted to the .308/7.62 NATO cartridge but it apparently works pretty well.

Your example has a nice "look" about it in the photo and it has a lot of appeal to me. The close-up of the left side of the receiver reveals wood of the type and hue that commonly stocked the WWI SMLEs. Has a nice color about it.

Your example has a nice "look" about it in the photo and it has a lot of appeal to me. The close-up of the left side of the receiver reveals wood of the type and hue that commonly stocked the WWI SMLEs. Has a nice color about it.
    I also own two No.4 Mk1 Lee-Enfield's both made in England during WW2 (BSA and Maltby) and the quality of the Ishapore rifle shown above is every bit as good as the rifles from the English factories.

Sorry to drift off a bit, so let me get back on course

Last edited by pirate; January 1st, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
    bmcgilvray and pistola like this.

1955 H&R from the CMP:

pistola, bmcgilvray and QKShooter like this.
    When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links