AR15 6.8spc Poll

This is a discussion on AR15 6.8spc Poll within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So ive been thinking about a 6.8 AR15 and wanted to get some ideas on full guns and looking for a reliable but reasonable options. ...

View Poll Results: Which 6.8spc AR15?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rock River Arms

4 23.53%
  • Stag Arms

4 23.53%
  • DPMS

4 23.53%
  • Armalite

0 0%
  • Other (please write it in)

5 29.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: AR15 6.8spc Poll

AR15 6.8spc Poll

So ive been thinking about a 6.8 AR15 and wanted to get some ideas on full guns and looking for a reliable but reasonable options. So far this is what I came across, so I wanted to post a poll to see if there was a favorite among these or another option I should consider. So, which would you go for and why? I don't much about them, so any help would be appreciated.

PS - Please dont mentioned going with another caliber or just getting an upper, I'm not interested in those options. Thanks

1. http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=416
    2. http://www.stagarms.com/product_info...roducts_id=210
    3. http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1736
    4. http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.asp...b-822e58014822
    5. Other - please write it in.

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    I'd go RRA a4 w/chrome lined barrel myself.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    What kind of twist rate do you want? What chamber do you want? Most folks seem to like the spec II chamber the best. Do you even know what I'm talking about?

Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com
    Guest1 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I don't know about those options, I guess the RRA will be ok. I have an 8" LWRC PSD, had a 16" LWRC and had a RRA upper years ago. If I was buying one now, it wouldn't be any of those and the nly reason I even keep the one I do is it fills a defensive role in my office.

I'd buy a Daniel Defense or contact Neil at Gun Gallery in Jacksonville and have him build you me with a DD or Noveske barrel for little more than the RRA.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I think Spikes makes a 6.8.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I'm not a Spikes fan, but I'd take one of their basic models over an RRA, DPMS, BM, etc.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Jon from what I understand the original spec chambers and certain twist rates were causing pressure problems in allot of guns. The spec II chamber reduces the pressure problems by increasing the throat area (IIRC). There is also a third type of chamber that is popular (like a Wylde I think).

I can't remeber what twist rate was deemed best but it's kinda like the 5.56 where they started out with one twist and moved to two or three others. Now there is a standard "do it all" twist rate sort of like a 1:8 for the 5.56. I don't remember now what the 'do it all" rate was but if I were in the 6.8 spc market I'd sure want to know. Hence the link.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Bison Armory specializes in the 6.8.

Bison Armory

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Jon from what I understand the original spec chambers and certain twist rates were causing pressure problems in allot of guns. The spec II chamber reduces the pressure problems by increasing the throat area (IIRC). There is also a third type of chamber that is popular (like a Wylde I think).I can't remeber what twist rate was deemed best but it's kinda like the 5.56 where they started out with one twist and moved to two or three others. Now there is a standard "do it all" twist rate sort of like a 1:8 for the 5.56. I don't remember now what the 'do it all" rate was but if I were in the 6.8 spc market I'd sure want to know. Hence the link.
    I agree, I'd go there for info. I was just replying in general about the manufacturers. You're right about the spcII.

I wold go with the DPMS AR 6.8. I have had high success with it when I go hog hunting.

I have the Ruger 556 6.8 DI (piston) upper. (long story)
    Pros: you get a lot of goodies and upper end parts for your money; Accurate!; low recoil; awesome customer support
    cons: $$$$; heavy esp compared to 'recon' uppers; spec 1*

* understand the Spec1 vs Spec II debate but spec II is not Saami approved and such it's considered a wildcat. If your ins company wanted to be dicks they could refuse to pay on a Kaboom because you were using an experimental cartridge. Low risk but worth mentioning.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Why not a 5.56,or maybe just an upper?!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    * understand the Spec1 vs Spec II debate but spec II is not Saami approved and such it's considered a wildcat. If your ins company wanted to be dicks they could refuse to pay on a Kaboom because you were using an experimental cartridge. Low risk but worth mentioning.
    You understand that Spec II is not a difference in ammo in any way, just a difference in chamber design to lower pressure? The 5.56 NATO and 223 Wylde chambers are also not a SAAMI spec chambers, only .223 Remington is. Do you have the same concerns?

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...ex.cfm?page=CC

Quote Originally Posted by Ananael View Post
    You understand that Spec II is not a difference in ammo in any way, just a difference in chamber design to lower pressure? The 5.56 NATO and 223 Wylde chambers are also not a SAAMI spec chambers, only .223 Remington is. Do you have the same concerns?

SAAMI
    5.56 is not a 'commercial' round so it is not involved w/ Saami specs. I understand that spec I/II is very much like the .223/ Wylde chambering issue. Where 5.56 ammo and .223 are not exactly the same cartridge. The issue is companies like SSA are loading 6.8 ammo that is unsafe in a Spec I chambering but calling it 6.8 spc. Being this is a newer cartridge this is a slight, but not insignificant issue. I hand load and am not going to try to wring the absolute most out of this cartridge so it is a moot point to me.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links