what's the prefered shotgun gauge for home defense?

This is a discussion on what's the prefered shotgun gauge for home defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; the 12 gauge seems to be the most popular choice for HD while others say it has too much blast,recoil and risk of over penetration..some ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: what's the prefered shotgun gauge for home defense?

the 12 gauge seems to be the most popular choice for HD while others say it has too much blast,recoil and risk of over penetration..some recommend the 20 gauge or even the .410 for home defense,what's your opinions? also,are pistol grip shotguns prefered over stock for HD,what are the pros and cons?

I trust my mossberg 500 12ga 00 buck.

Mossberg 500...........4 Buck......32 count.

The perfect shotgun. Is the one you know how to use.

Mossberg 500 is a good choice.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

If you can afford an autoloader you don't have to worry about the recoil so gauge wouldn't matter. A pro for that is smaller people and females can shoot them without any trouble. My wife is 110 and she shoots it great.I have a Benelli. I prefer a regular stock over pistol grip. Gives me more options and I know my house and how to clear it if I need to. I also like 12 over 20 gauge because I am not worried about over penetration. I can give you all the pros and cons but it is like any other firearm. Does it work for you and your experience level and your SD situation.

AA-12!

But more seriously. Plain Jane Remington 870 is going to get the most votes.
    Followed by Mossberg 500.
    BritishAgent and NavyAirdale like this.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

hands down favorite is 12 guage 00 Buckshot for me. My wife likes the .223 AR
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

Mossberg 500c 20 guage with Turkey Shot is what I use.... 2500 fps

They're gunna be a turkey, I'm gunna shoot em like one...
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I had no doubt the 12 gauge would win this conversation. However, I've fired a 12 gauge before and did not like the recoil on that thing at all. I'd prefer a 410 myself. I suspect a 410 would be just about as effective, especially if it held multiple shots.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I had no doubt the 12 gauge would win this conversation. However, I've fired a 12 gauge before and did not like the recoil on that thing at all. I'd prefer a 410 myself. I suspect a 410 would be just about as effective, especially if it held multiple shots.
    ever try an auto loader? Sweet for defense

I didn't like it at first. My shoulder got used to it real quick though. Now 12 gauges are fun!

+1 for the 12g R870. I had a Wingmaster at one point that shot clays beautifully with engraved scrollwork and beautiful, glossy woodwork; but that may be a tad long for HD.

I happen to like the pump because anyone over the age of 4 knows the sound of the action cycling (and probably has a healthy fear of it), and a fleeing cat burglar is less paperwork/court appearances than a dead one IMHO.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Recently got a shotgun for home defense, and did months of research before making a purchase. 12ga is certainly the preferred HD setup. People will talk about recoil...but for a home defense gun, do you really care about recoil? Most people would run from the racking sound, let alone 1 shot coming out of it. For practice, just us 2-3/4" low-recoil shells, and recoils not an issue.
    Autoloaders are nice for fast shooting, but they done cycle some types of ammo and more picky about what you use. Pump guns usually don't care what you're using...simply less to go wrong in terms of operation.
    The Remington 870 is the most popular with the Mossberg 500/590/590A1 close behind. But I'd tell you to closely look at the Benelli SuperNova. Again...after a ton of research, I ended up with the Benelli. In MY OPINION, it's just a much, much better made product for the money. Due to lack of accessories at this time, I think it doesn't get as much attention as the others. The previous version, called the Nova, had a few flaws, and that doesn't help either. But if you check out the SuperNova, I think you may like it.
    Pistol grip seems to be personal preference. I didn't like it very much myself, it's just harder to use in the "natural" position the shotgun has made to use. But some people love them. Just have to try both. I would recommend the ghost ring sights over regular sights. I think everyone would agree with that.
    Good luck!!!
    Copperjacket likes this.

12 gauge PDX1 in a Mossberg 590A1
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Moderator
    .410 is nowhere even remotely close to "just about as effective" as 12 gauge.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links