What Magazines are you Running in Your AR-15?

This is a discussion on What Magazines are you Running in Your AR-15? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm still piecing together bits and pieces of information about ARs for the one I'm either going to build or buy outright. As great as ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What Magazines are you Running in Your AR-15?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

I'm still piecing together bits and pieces of information about ARs for the one I'm either going to build or buy outright. As great as the internet can be at providing information, nothing beats first hand experience. What magazines are you guys running on your ARs? Are there any that are a must have or are there any that should be stayed away from at all cost? Or is the performance and durability of an AR mag completely contingent upon proper maintenance and care?

Any insight/help you may provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you gentlemen,
    DCG
    Last edited by DefConGun; January 8th, 2012 at 01:46 AM. Reason: typo

I'm still running ancient Colt produced magazines along with Vietnam/1970s era military contract magazines and having a ball. No issues whatsoever. Such magazines used to be able to be bought for no more then 5 for $10 so I loaded up on them. They seem flimsy but don't give trouble unless really mistreated. I don't think I've ever had to toss one but have enough on hand that they are probably rotated often.

I don't much care for the newer styles of magazines. No real reason except they don't have "the look." I don't take the AR 15 all that seriously but some of my old magazines are bound to have seen considerable use.
    DefConGun likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

RKM
    Lancer L5's, GI mag's with Magpul followers and Magpul.

Magpul's will be preferred by most. But the Lancer's are great too as are good quality GI mags. I've never experienced any kind of failure with either mag, but I'm not very hardcore either. You're likely to have no issues with any mag you use.

I even have good reliability with Tapco mags in my AK. But I trust the steels ones way more. I wouldn't use Tapco in the AR.

P-Mags, but looking for some good metal ones.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Lead Moderator
    Mag pul and mil spec mags
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Pmags all the way!

Magpul P-mags, although I have a lot of Brownell's GI mags too, and they work just fine, especially with magpul followers.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

As an old geezer, I need to at least learn something here. I wouldn't know a Magpul follower if it bit me on the big toe nor would I know it's advantages over standard G.I. followers. What's the deal with this particular follower?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I run Magpul PMags almost exclusively. The Pmags have a special anti-tilt follower. I guess this is to improve reliability because as with most auto loading firearms the magazine is the weakest link. If you press front of the follower down on some of these GI mags you'll notice the follower tilts at an angle. I'm not saying GI mags are garbage and the one's I've used have been great as well but I've had nothing but good experiences with PMags and they also include covers that protect the feed lips when you store loaded magazines. That's something you won't get on standard GI mags.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Mostly PMags, with some NHMTG GI-spec mags, and some Brownells thrown in for good measure.

As an old geezer, I need to at least learn something here. I wouldn't know a Magpul follower if it bit me on the big toe nor would I know it's advantages over standard G.I. followers. What's the deal with this particular follower?
    Old geezer, my foot... we're probably the same age (and I refuse to say I'm OLD). But anyway, by virtue of spending over a week in the aggregate with one Mr. Pat Rogers (EAG Tactical) to learn how to fight with the AR, I've become aware of some of the nuances of the magazines that feed that gun. GI-spec mags are the best place to start, if you don't know anything else. Mags with the Colt name or NHMTG (a reliable mfr in CT) are trustworthy. A host of others jumped on the bandwagon (especially after the AW ban lapsed), but few withstood the test of time, including steel mags which are heavy but fundamentally no more reliable. The original molded plastic followers were known to cause feeding problems due to tilting in the 30-round mags, a problem which didn't exist in the straight 20-round mags. I'm not sure who figured out the cure, but MagPul got the marketing right and their "anti-tilt" followers are pretty much the cat's pajamas for retrofit into the 30-round GI mags. They also came out with a seriously robust molded plastic mag (PMag) which seems to last a LOT longer than the metal ones. Feed lips spreading is the typical cause of mag death, and the PMags maintain their geometry a lot longer either by design or by material selection. I ran all GI-spec aluminum mags (about 10) through my first 3-day course (hard use), and at least 2 died. The next course, I ran nearly all PMags, and all of them survived without any failures. That was enough to sell me, and if I tallied up the inventory of 30-round mags, I've probably got about 20 PMags and fewer than 10 metal ones left.
    bmcgilvray, DefConGun and 64zebra like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

sgb
    P mags and I've got a bunch of new Bravo Co. D&H mags squirreled away as well.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Ive got the metal mag that came with my stag arms ar. But ive been buying and using magpul. I watch for sales and buy a few at $12.99 along with a few boxes of ammo

I run Magpul PMAGs, NHMTG, D&H and Okay. Most of my GI mags have Magpul followers, though the green follower is fine and the new contract brown followers are good to go as well.I've tried pretty much every decent magazine on the market and the ones above are what work for me.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I have tried virtually all the various types available on the market and now rub pmags exclusively.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I have the same 30 round P mags so many use but also some AR Stoner mags ,5,10 and now 20 round mags that work like they should. I use the 10 rounds from the bench. They are SS metal and like many SS item the paint will scartch off to some degree.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links