Transporting a rifle from your car to your home...

This is a discussion on Transporting a rifle from your car to your home... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is it legal to briefly carry an unloaded rifle / shotgun without a sling or case from your car to your house? Say you impulsively ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Transporting a rifle from your car to your home...

Is it legal to briefly carry an unloaded rifle / shotgun without a sling or case from your car to your house? Say you impulsively purchase a used rifle and it doesn't come with a case.

Where do you live?

Eugene, Oregon. Open carry is legal here. What I'm not sure is if one can open carry an unloaded rifle without a sling / case, i.e. holding it in one's hands.

I would think that with discretion and being carried in a safe manner it would probably be ok. But that is not in any way very suitable legal advise. I would check out oregonfirearms.org and ask them if no one else here knows. Sorry!

http://oregonfirearms.org/faq/

VIP Member
    You are more concerned with neighbor perceptions or with alarming unduly others who may be present. Break the breech of the shotgun or otherwise separate the visible ammunition feed or functional parts and carry over your shoulder to appear less menacing.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

If you're that concerned, cover it with a coat or blanket.
    RockStrongo and NIS350ZTT like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you're that concerned, cover it with a coat or blanket.
    I was going to say the same thing
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Your state laws should be clear in this matter, and I don't there's any problem with carrying a firearm from car to home and vice-versa whether cased or not. I mean, really--it is legal to hunt in Oregon, isn't it? To cover it with a blanket could cause it to fall into "concealed" catagory.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

In some states, you can actually carry a long gun openly. If you search the net, there's that pic of a guy on a motorcycle with an AK on his back. In Texas, we can carry a loaded rifle in our vehicle though with or without a CHL a handgun, whether loaded or not, must be concealed.

I have no clue about Oregon law. My guess is that some areas there are more on the liberal side, so you really need to find the state law on this. My guess would be that it's fine, but don't take my word for it.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

If you're worried about it go in the house grab a case go back to the vehicle put it in it then take it in the house... I don't see how it would be any different when your loading or unloading for a day of hunting, I just don't see how it would be illegal but some states do have some strange laws
    And so when man and horse go down beneath a saber keen, or in a roaring charge of fierce melee you stop a bullet clean, and the hostiles come to get your scalp, just empty your canteen, put your pistol to your head and go to Fiddlers green. U.S Army Cavalry

Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
    Is it legal to briefly carry an unloaded rifle / shotgun without a sling or case from your car to your house? Say you impulsively purchase a used rifle and it doesn't come with a case.
    That seems an odd question to me. How far do you park from your house?
    Rock and Glock likes this.

- A rifle would need to be transported in a case, unloaded in yer car to get it home (ccw only covers pistols in most states).

As for a case?.... anything that encloses the firearm is the ticket 99% of the time... I have received them 'encased' in panty hose from places.

VIP Member
    Get home, get a case from the house, put it in the case and take it in. This ain't rocket science.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivoire View Post
    - A rifle would need to be transported in a case, unloaded in yer car to get it home (ccw only covers pistols in most states).As for a case?.... anything that encloses the firearm is the ticket 99% of the time... I have received them 'encased' in panty hose from places.
    You're speaking specifically about Oregon or Wisconsin? That's not the case in many states. Look at the Obama rally where that group showed up with ARs. In Texas, we can transport a loaded rifle without a case.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
    From your car to your house................you are on your own property I assume. If that is the case you can do as you please.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links