Remington 788 - Page 2

Remington 788

This is a discussion on Remington 788 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There's a lot of dead rockchucks in Easter Washington state that can attest to the range and accuracy of the .223 788! The nice part ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Remington 788

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    There's a lot of dead rockchucks in Easter Washington state that can attest to the range and accuracy of the .223 788! The nice part was the recoil is so light I could see the bullets strike.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

So as not to leave you hanging any longer than I already have...

http://thumb15.webshots.net/t/52/752...5dQDzKQ_th.jpg

Stripped, sanded. Four-0 steel wool, Lin-Speed, repeated four or five times.
    Need a sling and a scope, but I am hopefully going to sight in the iron sights this week.

Thanks to all who offered opinions and suggestions.

Cory

Im kinda like all the others. I got a 788 in 74 or 75 in .222. It was a tack driver. Loaded some benchrest spec ammo and shot a .248 5 shot group at 200yrds. Loved the gun, but it was and is butt ugly.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    These plane old rifles kinda make me wish i had a couple more. I am one that never had an interest in owning a remmy 700.

I like old stuff. I just horse traded for a 742 in 30-06 and a Marlin 80DL. Both need lovin'. My dad had the same Woodsmaster in the 70's. The .22 is going to my son for a project. I didn't need a radial arm saw anyway.

Sorry to leave you hanging, it took me this long to get into a range I could shoot .308 at. I tried to sight her in today, shot just outside the rings on a standard pistol target at 50' or do. Couldn't walk it in even with rear sight adjusted all the way, I am guessing bent front blade. My grouping was pretty good, just too far off to feel good about pat that distance. I'll be parts shopping Sunday, I was considering a peep sight anyway...

I have one from my brother-in-law in 308 and it shoots better than I can. Using a 4x Tasco it is shooting 1.5-175 inch groups at 100 yards. With a better scope (shooter??) I expect those to get closer to or below 1 inch. She really likes the Win.PowerMax but the cheep Remy&Federal are close behind. The groups are also within 1.5 inches so in a pinch I could switch with out too much worry. I would keep it and shoot it before getting rid of it. Now I just need to find a few more mags for mine.

I removed and replaced the sights, front post appears true. It may have been just loose, thought I checked it but it came off easy. Hitting the .22's this weekend and a little .357 for stress relief.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Dragging up an old thread I know, but, I just this week brought home a very nice condition Remington 788 Carbine (1980 model) in .308winchester.

I have a Timney trigger ordered, new sling mounts and a recoil pad. My plans are to strip and refinish the stock in a lighter color and I want to add some ebony touches here and there if I can.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Remington 788

My pictures are gone, I will attempt to get some new ones. I stripped the wood and left it natural, it came out nice and light. I have not touched the trigger at all, and still run the iron sights.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory1022 View Post
    Looking good.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I will start another thread on my Remy 788 project but, as a teaser, I plan to finish it with some checkering of the grip and forend, possibly an ebony forend tip, nice old Remington scribed metal grip cap with brass spacer and a hand rubbed BLO finish.

Still trying to figure out the best recoil pad size. I think the Limbsaver small rifle pad will work as I also may need to trim the stock off a little shorter.

My stock is currently stripped and partially sanded to 220 grit stage and some steel wool sanding. Waiting to see if I need to cut the stock and then do some checkering.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Cory, that looks very nice. I put a 3x9 Bushnell on my .223 because of long shots at little critters, but a 4x or 2x7 on yours would make that an outstanding hunter. You'd be surprised how well you can pick up a moving animal with a low-power scope. Most people opt for too high a power for general hunting.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Big fan of the .308, and for now, you can still find ammo.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links