What Do You Think of the Kel Tec Shotgun (KSG)? - Page 2

What Do You Think of the Kel Tec Shotgun (KSG)?

This is a discussion on What Do You Think of the Kel Tec Shotgun (KSG)? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ill give it a year and then will see what the market says. I like everything about it, but would like to see it mature ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What Do You Think of the Kel Tec Shotgun (KSG)?

Ill give it a year and then will see what the market says. I like everything about it, but would like to see it mature a little before I buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I had one for a short time, there was a thread on it here somewhere... I got a hold of one of the first runs direct from KelTec. It is a really neat design and it could be great. However, like all things KelTec, the idea and design is neat but only marginally executed. I was far to concerned with the build quality to take it as a serious piece of hardware.
    Thanks for this honest opinion. I haven't seen one yet; but, this doesn't surprise me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I trust Sixtos opinion as well and I will also look for the Nutnfancy video to see what kind of problems he had with the gun. I agree that I don't want to trust my life to something that is cheap and not reliable. If it were inexpensive, like $300 for example, I might buy one to try out but from the Google shopping results I got last night, they are mostly well over $600 (I think I saw a place that had it for $580?). Right now that money is going to be held in reserve for my AR that is first in the "guns to acquire" queue.

If you want a short shotgun, but don't want the paperwork hassle of a SBS, you can always get a double-barrel coach gun. Yes, you only have two shells, but I have yet to hear of anyone needing more than two blasts from a shotgun to defend their home.
    DefConGun likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Unless you're literally fending of a riotous mob trying to break into your home, I don't see much use for it. One or two blasts from any shotgun tends to send mobs running.
    10thmtn likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Back in December I was on a 3 gun squad with 2 of their employees that were using the KSG. For the most part one guy did pretty well with it but not 100%. The other guy had a lot of feed/eject issues. I don't know the cause of those issues.

The concept looks cool but I would figure like Sixto wrote that the actual execution of producing such a firearm in excellent quality would not be on par for Kel Tec. Their guns, even if your personal Kel Tec works, are cheaply made.

And if another company like Ruger "steals" or as I would put it improves and innovates upon their idea, more power to them because another company is more likely to produce a quality product.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I know a guy that bought one recently. He took it home and said that there was a long pause between the time he pulled the trigger and when the gun actually discharged, etc. He said he took it apart and cleaned it and never replicated the problem from then on but at that point, he no longer trusted it. He returned it and traded it in on a cheap foreign made shotgun that I never heard of before.

I'm not sure if I would trust it either if I shared a similar experience but at the same time, I'm not sure what would cause such an issue. I'd probably investigate and talk to some much trusted smiths and get an expert/s opinion before trading it off.

Distinguished Member
    I had heard from somewhere (can't remember where unfortunately) that they had issues and had to go back and resolve those and that the later ones are a huge improvement from the early ones. But as I don't have one, I can't say for sure one way or another.

Here's a range report from one person in SW Washington on another forum who likes theirs (although they did say they had to replace a grip that broke off):
    MY NEW KEL-TEC KSG BULL PUP SHOTGUN ---RANGE REPORT
    DefConGun likes this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    I had heard from somewhere (can't remember where unfortunately) that they had issues and had to go back and resolve those and that the later ones are a huge improvement from the early ones. But as I don't have one, I can't say for sure one way or another.

Here's a range report from one person in SW Washington on another forum who likes theirs (although they did say they had to replace a grip that broke off):
    MY NEW KEL-TEC KSG BULL PUP SHOTGUN ---RANGE REPORT
    From what I understand, KelTech has great customer service and although they may not give you a refund, they do whatever they can reasonably resolve any issues.

I don't get why you have to change over magazines in the middle. I would think they could put in a cam or some kind of trip lever activated by the follower to let it fire all the rounds continuously.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I don't get why you have to change over magazines in the middle. I would think they could put in a cam or some kind of trip lever activated by the follower to let it fire all the rounds continuously.
    To comply with some states which have a limit per magazine. If Kel-Tec did it automatically then they wouldn't be able to sell in those states.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Looks like a poor imitation of Neostead Shotgun, out of South Africa.

I was trying to be the US importor for them, but ATF was up to their usual b********.

I liked the Neostead a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by thearmsman View Post
    Looks like a poor imitation of Neostead Shotgun, out of South Africa.

I was trying to be the US importor for them, but ATF was up to their usual b********.

I liked the Neostead a lot.
    Interesting.

LIKE!

It is nothing like the Neostad, except in having multiple tubes, and it shoots 12g.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links