What Do You Think of the Kel Tec Shotgun (KSG)?

This is a discussion on What Do You Think of the Kel Tec Shotgun (KSG)? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw a segment about the new Kel Tec Shotgun (KSG) on "Student of the Gun" and am really curious about it. With its compact ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What Do You Think of the Kel Tec Shotgun (KSG)?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

What Do You Think of the Kel Tec Shotgun (KSG)?

I saw a segment about the new Kel Tec Shotgun (KSG) on "Student of the Gun" and am really curious about it. With its compact size, I'm thinking it will be perfect for HD duty. It'd be a great gun to keep right next to the bed for those times you hear a bump in the night. I really like the manageability that it will have due to its short length. I, unfortunately, do not know alot about Kel Tec and am wondering at how confident you would be about a shotgun offering from this company? For right now, however, a short length gun that supposedly has manageable recoil and 15 shot capacity, I'm diggin' the potential this gun may have and think its at least a serious consideration. I'd really like to find one locally and check it out to complete my impressions about it as opposed to blindly ordering it on the internet.

Here's a brief summary of it;

The KSG weighs 6.9lbs and is as compact as legally possible with a 26.1" overall length and an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. Even with this compact size, the internal dual tube magazines hold an impressive 6 rounds of 12 gage 3" shells each, for a total capacity of 6+6+1 (7 per tube if using 2-3/4" shells). The simple and reliable pump action feeds from either the left or right tube. The feed side is manually selected by a lever located behind the trigger guard. The lever can be positioned in the center detent in order to easily clear the chamber without feeding another round from either magazine. A cross bolt style safety blocks the sear, and the pump release lever is located in front of the trigger guard.

The pump includes an under Picatinny rail for the mounting of a forward grip, or a light or laser. The included top Picatinny sight rail will accept many types of optics or iron sights. Forward and rear sling loops are built in, and a basic sling is included. The soft rubber butt pad helps to tame recoil.

MSRP has not been officially been set, but we are looking at the $800.00 range.
    Kel Tec CNC

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I had one for a short time, there was a thread on it here somewhere... I got a hold of one of the first runs direct from KelTec. It is a really neat design and it could be great. However, like all things KelTec, the idea and design is neat but only marginally executed. I was far to concerned with the build quality to take it as a serious piece of hardware.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I had one for a short time, there was a thread on it here somewhere... I got a hold of one of the first runs direct from KelTec. It is a really neat design and it could be great. However, like all things KelTec, the idea and design is neat but only marginally executed. I was far to concerned with the build quality to take it as a serious piece of hardware.
    So what you are saying is you sold it for 2-3X what you paid to a guy with glazed over eyes and drool running out of his mouth over the tactical awesomeness of the new widget? I've seen what some of them are fetching since they are hard to come by. Wow, just wow. I could get a safe full of 870's or a couple Benelli's.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    A weapon without a mission. Unless you believe that numerous early fall vegetables are a considerate mission for the shotgun.

So if I'm reading you correctly, are you saying it is cheaply made?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    So if I'm reading you correctly, are you saying it is cheaply made?
    Yeah, that is what I'm saying. I hoped for better, but really didnt expect it to be. Its par for a KelTec.

I might be totally wrong, but I think I've been around guns long enough to tell a cheaply built firearm from a true quality piece.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah, that is what I'm saying. I hoped for better, but really didnt expect it to be. Its par for a KelTec.

I might be totally wrong, but I think I've been around guns long enough to tell a cheaply built firearm from a true quality piece.
    What a shame because I believe it is a good concept. As great as 870s & the Mossbergs are and have somewhat become the "standard" in HD shottys, their physical size isn't optimum for everyone. Some ladies as well as persons with disabilities, for example, may not be as proficient with an 870 as they would be with a shorter gun. Something as small as the KSG would have to be a dream to transition from a stand-by to ready position or from a side to side position, etc.

If it's as cheaply made as Sixto says,One thing you don't wanta trust your life to is "cheap".Inexpensive is a different matter
    boomer1 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Keltec dropped the ball AGAIN with the ksg.

They didn't make enough (like they always do) stating on their website that they only made and shipped 250 not 250k, but just 250 to distributors.

Meanwhile, some shops have 150 preorders for them.

Keltec is missing out on a huge fortune by not making enough.

But fear not, I'm willing to very ruger is going to continue the trend and take the concept, design, improve the quality/reliability, actually send out enough units (imagine a business actually putting out enough units to make money!) And have happier customers.

Keltec can learn a lot from ruger

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

That sucks. I was thinking about getting one but now that you said that, forget it. I was hoping this would be something good from KelTec. Oh well. Glad I read this

Keltec long guns are odd. Many exist yet I never see any. KSG and RFB are what I m thinking about.

Although if there is a lack of quality I will pass. Good idea of having ruger take the reigns. Make the gun, but make it right. Perhaps even get a few out the factory door.

I'm an FFL dealer and I have several preorders, but none in stock yet.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Keltec has a shotgun now? Hmm.. My experience with keltec is opposite their reputation. My little p3at keeps on ticking reliably, not having a single failure since the very first mag I ran through it (that may have been a limp-wrist issue on my part). In any case, I thought for sure it was doomed after it I had to dig it out of a sandly river-bottom. Three cleanings and lots of blast-o-cleaner stuff later, it still felt like I lubed every part of it with sand. I took it to the range expecting issues, but it ate everything I fed it that day and since. My buddy has also never had a failure with his, and he refused to do the fluff and buff...we both have had them for probably three years and several hundred rounds. I know we're talking about the shotgun in this thread, but I thought keltec experience might be relevant. All of that said, my man Sixto has a lot more experience with guns than I and I trust his evaulation. However, when the AR first came out, I think many experienced shooters/gun evaluators felt it was a cheaply made, plastic toy gun. The only way we are going to know with certainty is if you buy one and put a lot of rounds through it....
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Keltec has a shotgun now? Hmm.. My experience with keltec is opposite their reputation. My little p3at keeps on ticking reliably, not having a single failure since the very first mag I ran through it (that may have been a limp-wrist issue on my part). In any case, I thought for sure it was doomed after it I had to dig it out of a sandly river-bottom. Three cleanings and lots of blast-o-cleaner stuff later, it still felt like I lubed every part of it with sand. I took it to the range expecting issues, but it ate everything I fed it that day and since. My buddy has also never had a failure with his, and he refused to do the fluff and buff...we both have had them for probably three years and several hundred rounds. I know we're talking about the shotgun in this thread, but I thought keltec experience might be relevant. All of that said, my man Sixto has a lot more experience with guns than I and I trust his evaulation. However, when the AR first came out, I think many experienced shooters/gun evaluators felt it was a cheaply made, plastic toy gun. The only way we are going to know with certainty is if you buy one and put a lot of rounds through it....
    I too like their little pocket guns, I do have a few of them. But they are not high quality and built for abusive high volume shooting. I distinctly got the same impression from the KSG. But to be 100% honest and fair, I never shot the KSG while I had it. This is just my impression on first inspection of the gun. Kinda like if you own a Mercedes and you borrow a friends Kia, you can see and feel the differences as soon as you sit in the drivers seat.
    Cupcake likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Nutnfancy did some pretty good, entertaining vids of field testing of the Keltec shorty/shotty. He ran into some "real world" problems but none too great to overcome.
    Bark'n likes this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links