Need Info on AK's

This is a discussion on Need Info on AK's within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by varob Thanks for all the tips. I'm looking for 7.62 and have read previously to look for bent sights and to make ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need Info on AK's

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Thanks for all the tips. I'm looking for 7.62 and have read previously to look for bent sights and to make sure the action works well.
    Sorry for the thread jack, but hopefully some of my questions will apply to the OP and others looking for information.

I am looking at getting an AK also. I want a 7.62X39. The Dunhams sporting goods has one for $450. It's a Century Arms WASR-10. I have read about the sights being canted. I look at the one they had on display and the front sights did appear to be leaning way left. Is this possible to fix? Is it a reason to not buy the gun?

Also the guy that was showing it to me said that it was a "single stack". I thought all AK's were single stacks. Dunhams also had another one for $50 more that had a longer magazine on it, I would assume 20 or 30 round. The sales man said that was a double stack. Is that correct?

I checked to side to side play on the magazine and it did have some side play. He said they all do. He also said that he had "dremeled" his out to make it a double stack. Does this guy know what he's talking about?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Sorry for the thread jack, but hopefully some of my questions will apply to the OP and others looking for information.

I am looking at getting an AK also. I want a 7.62X39. The Dunhams sporting goods has one for $450. It's a Century Arms WASR-10. I have read about the sights being canted. I look at the one they had on display and the front sights did appear to be leaning way left. Is this possible to fix? Is it a reason to not buy the gun?

Also the guy that was showing it to me said that it was a "single stack". I thought all AK's were single stacks. Dunhams also had another one for $50 more that had a longer magazine on it, I would assume 20 or 30 round. The sales man said that was a double stack. Is that correct?

I checked to side to side play on the magazine and it did have some side play. He said they all do. He also said that he had "dremeled" his out to make it a double stack. Does this guy know what he's talking about?

Look elsewhere. You can find better on gunbroker.
    Katana likes this.

Yeah, I personally can see no reason to buy an unconverted WASR for that kind of price. I wouldn't give more than $290 for it.

As for the sights, it's not a difficult fix, it just involves pushing the pins out of the front sight base, re-aligning them, then pushing some new pins in their place. As for the mag well; yes, you can dremel it out to accept hi-cap magazines, but that's a whole lot of work when you can just buy one already converted (& 922r compliant) for the same price on-line.

Of course, if you really want to go the fun route, you could always buy a Draco pistol and SBR it. That's my next AK project.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I like the Norinco (Chinese) Don't worry about the wood I think all of the wood looks bad (on AKs)
    I see the ammo prices falling a bit. Not as cheap as a few years ago but coming down some.
    We like the AKs in the winter because we don't keep the casings. We let them go into the snow ( just like 22 LR).
    I would also recommend the Norinco.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links