Defensive Carry banner

Need Info on AK's

4K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  rambosky 
#1 ·
Next month I'm planning on going to the big 1000+ table gun show in No. Va.
I plan to pick up a AK 47 w/ the wood furniture.

I'm not that well versed in AKs, so I have a few questions?

1. Which manufactures should I look for, or maybe avoid?

2. What price range should I expect to pay?

Thanks for any info you guys may have.

#2 ·
Price? I'd say $400-800 depending on what make/model of AK. Century sells the "famous" WASR AK which I have no experience with, but if you find one that has no flaws I can't see it being a problem, especially filling the most likely role of the occasional weekend plinker. I personally have a Century GP1975 which isn't produced anymore (I think they ran out of parts kits from the 1975 AK model they were using) and it's a decent shooter, I bought it used and replaced the extractor after having some FTE problems, still having an issue but I believe it's an alignment deal, I'm playing the parts replacement game right now.

There are plenty of manufacturers and like I said, if it's straight and true, it should shoot fine and last darn near forever if you maintain it. An AK is an AK, if you spend $1000 on a fancy Arsenal you'll just have an expensive AK. This is my opinion, built on the fact that AKs have a very loose parts tolerance so it's hard to expect super accuracy and the like out of them. Don't take this as bashing, because I love the AK platform as much as any other rifle, just don't expect a lot. :rolleyes:

Hope that helps.

#3 ·
Well an AK is like anything else you get what you pay for. The cheaper rifles like WASR and the Century rifles if you know what to look for can be good deals but if you are not familiar with them they may have canted sights, bad barrels and so on.
These rifles will go from $350 on up. You did not mention what caliber you are looking for 5.45 is generally cheaper to shoot but most ammo is corrosive so you have to clean up everytime after firing. You can also run into barrels that are not true 5.45 and you have issues with the rounds keyholing and being innaccurate.

Next up would be Arsenal you cant go wrong. Fantastic guns in whatever model you get. They are true Russian AK's. One thing I will mention and if you already know this sorry not trying to be sarcastic or question your knowledge. You will generally find two types of AK's milled and stamped the difference being milled is literally milled from a single block of metal strong but heavy. Stamped is made from a flat sheet of sheet metal, folded and riveted. Lighter weight and so on. The AK saying is stamped receivers will last you a lifetime, milled receivers will last you two. I have never had any problems with stamped guns at all.

A word on stocks. Generally underfolders look cool, and store in tight spots but they are hard to get a cheekweld on them so they are harder to shoot accurately. The fixed stocks are great but some find them to short all depends on your body sized and preference. I have my rifles built but that can get expensive. The best of the AK folders are the AK 100 Russian sidefolders. They fold to the side for ease in vehicles or tight spaces but when open and locked in you can not tell the difference from a fixed stock gun they lock up that tight.

Arsenal offers all of this in their guns. All calibers, stocks and so on. Give me a shout if you like and will help if I can.

First choose a caliber. Choose what stock you want. Then start looking.

#4 ·
Heck I have a few including one CHEAP made in china one that cheap peace of junk will shoot a 75 round drum till empty and anything else I feed it.
The wood was CHEAP but replaced it anyway years ago.
Depends what you want it for if you looking for low cost and something to take out back and have fun with most are ok
The only real reason we bought these thing is it use to be cheap to shoot but that not so true anymore.

#5 ·
I have a Romanian WASR-10 and it has been trouble-free so far. I see them at gun shows for around $450 generally. Inspect it and make sure the front sight and gas block are straight; as long as they are you should be good to go. Wood looks like crap and it has tooling marks all over it, but I love it and it hasn't failed me yet. Some of the newer ones I've seen have better looking metal too (fewer tool marks). Supposedly the best ones are Bulgarian builds, but I haven't shot one so I can't say first-hand.

#16 ·
Sorry for the thread jack, but hopefully some of my questions will apply to the OP and others looking for information.

I am looking at getting an AK also. I want a 7.62X39. The Dunhams sporting goods has one for $450. It's a Century Arms WASR-10. I have read about the sights being canted. I look at the one they had on display and the front sights did appear to be leaning way left. Is this possible to fix? Is it a reason to not buy the gun?

Also the guy that was showing it to me said that it was a "single stack". I thought all AK's were single stacks. Dunhams also had another one for $50 more that had a longer magazine on it, I would assume 20 or 30 round. The sales man said that was a double stack. Is that correct?

I checked to side to side play on the magazine and it did have some side play. He said they all do. He also said that he had "dremeled" his out to make it a double stack. Does this guy know what he's talking about?

#7 ·
I like the Norinco (Chinese) Don't worry about the wood I think all of the wood looks bad (on AKs)
I see the ammo prices falling a bit. Not as cheap as a few years ago but coming down some.
We like the AKs in the winter because we don't keep the casings. We let them go into the snow ( just like 22 LR).

#8 ·
Stick with the 7.62x39 caliber models - ammo and mags are slightly cheaper and more available than the 5.45x39 versions.

$400 will get you a Romanian made "wasr" - these are all the same basic rifle regardless of who sells them or what doodads they add on.

$800 will get you a Saiga which is imported from Russia as a "sporter" rifle and converted to use 30rd mags and pistol grip.
Arsenal Inc imports and several distributers sell them.

In-between there are some small mfgs still assembling AKs from parts - maybe not the best choice for an AK newbie.

Arsenal Inc also mfgs. their own high- end AKs ($1000 plus)

I suggest you do some online research so you get a good overall picture.

Read this for a start. :smile: So, you’re thinking of buying an AK-47? A Buyer’s Guide to the AK Family Of Rifles | The Shooter's Log

#9 ·
As I've said before... WASR's are reliable and accurate if you get a good one. Look for all the well publicised faults such as bent gas piston, canted gas tube and canted sights. Look for one with a triangle with a lightning bolt on the front trunion. If everything is correct you'll be good to go. Oh and check for mag wobble. I bought a WASR underfolder last year and it has been extremely reliable. If I had it to do over again (and I will after income tax :yup:) I will get the fixed stock. Like tacman said "the underfolders look cool" but they dang uncomfortable to shoot. Hope this helps.

#10 ·
Ok someone else started this thread and I don't mean to highjack, but since the talk is AK's I have a few questions. I got a MAK 90 in a trade and really like how it shoots, but the thumbhole stock is butt ugly. The wood foregrip seems to get real hot after 2 mags (10 round rapid fire). All the plastic ones on Cheaper than Dirt and Midway say they don't fit MAK 90's. Who makes plastic furniture to fit? Want something more of the traditional AK look (plastic or wood) and does the heat hurt the gas rod or any other internal parts? Thanks for any info.

#11 ·
I do not own an AK. I spend a ton of time on the AR so I've never really bothered to research that much. Recently thoug, I've decided to add one this year just to have.

Of all the classes I've been to and the people I've spoken to about it that know what they're doing, including Larry Vickers, the recommendation for a new AK is almost always Arsenal.

I'm not saying the others won't work or be just as good, but from everything I've seen, the Arsenal is one of the best available and is a wise choice. Kind of like a Colt. Sure BCM and Daniel Defense make awesome rifles that are on the same level, but you really can't go wrong with a Colt. At least that's how I look at Arsenal.

Keep in mind, I know ARs and 1911's/Glocks, I am in no way the best person to take advice from on AKs and others here know much more than I do. Good luck.

#12 ·
As I've stated on here before, I got a WASR 10/63 in Februrary of 2009 (IIRC) for under $400 and after a few thousand rounds, not a single hiccup. As long as the sights aren't canted, the magwell wasn't cut way too wide, and the gas tube is straight, you won't really have any problems. The extra money for nicer AK's goes mostly towards fit and finish. If you can spare the extra money, then by all means go ahead. But if money is on the tight side, a cheap Romanian AK should do just fine for weekend shooting.

#13 ·
Interarms makes some good AKs. They are a step up from Century AKs.

I would also recommend anything Norinco if you see it. They aren't imported anymore, but you see them from time to time. They are Chinese made some of the smoothest rifles I have ever handled. I personally have a Norinco SKS and have a Norinco NMH91 (copy of a RPK) on layaway and they are great. Prices vary greatly. The NMH91 was $600, but some Norincos go for over $1,000.

#14 ·
Mrbuckwheat I love the Norincos and use them for my builds of custom AK's. There are two type rears on the receivers angled and square.

Give me a PM on here and let me know what you have and we can go from there. They are great rifles. I use them because the receivers are 1.5-1.6 mm thick as opposed to 1mm on others.

#18 ·
Yeah, I personally can see no reason to buy an unconverted WASR for that kind of price. I wouldn't give more than $290 for it.

As for the sights, it's not a difficult fix, it just involves pushing the pins out of the front sight base, re-aligning them, then pushing some new pins in their place. As for the mag well; yes, you can dremel it out to accept hi-cap magazines, but that's a whole lot of work when you can just buy one already converted (& 922r compliant) for the same price on-line.

Of course, if you really want to go the fun route, you could always buy a Draco pistol and SBR it. That's my next AK project. :yup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.