Already got the itch to buy another AR...

This is a discussion on Already got the itch to buy another AR... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Who likes Spikes? I like the looks of this one... ST 15 16 M4 LE Carbine w/9S.A.R. [STR5025-S9S] - $1,200.00 : Spikes Tactical I talked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Already got the itch to buy another AR...

Already got the itch to buy another AR...

Who likes Spikes? I like the looks of this one...
    ST 15 16 M4 LE Carbine w/9S.A.R. [STR5025-S9S] - $1,200.00 : Spikes Tactical

I talked to them today and they say it takes 4 to 8 weeks to get the gun after ordering. Has anyone bought from them and how long did it take to get yours in? Does Spikes have quality triggers? Trigger pull and creep have always been my pet peeve on guns.

I will be putting my Eotech EOLAD on this gun with a PVS-14 (or equivalent) comming after tax return.

General question::: Do you think this is a good time to buy buying? Maybe the calm before supply and demand get out of whack again?

All opinions welcome (good or bad).

2. Remove Ads

I have a spikes that I like, but it is the mid length model. Closer to $800. For $1200 I would be piecing together a BCM at G&R Tactical or buying a Daniel Defense from Buds Gun Shop.

Wait for John to spot your thread. He will tell you all you need to know.

I have the basic Spikes M4 LE model. No problems so far, no failures of any kind; I put on an Aimpoint sight and BUIS on it. Both zeroed fine, and with a 1/7 twist I was able to do it with 75 gr bullets. The specs on it are solid, just about the same as the Colt. I have no complaints so far. It did take a little over a month for it to get delivered though, but they did include a hard case with it. Nothing bad to say about them.

Remember...this is an election year. Prices will be more than normal. Add to that and the end of the world is this year and you're paying too much for everything anyway. Be happy with what you've got now IMO and be able to feed it.
    HotGuns likes this.

Why not build one? It's not only fun to do but you also get a good indept knowledge of the workings of the AR. and in most cases you can save yourself some good money.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Administrator
    I bought a Spikes a few months ago. I've yet to really wring it out, but I've been happy so far. The trigger is very crisp.
    "Just blame Sixto"

sgb
    Spikes is putting out a solid product.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I should have a Daniel Defense in the gun safe by the end of the week...

You bought the M&P, ordered a Daniel Defense, and am I reading this right? You want a Spikes, too?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I bought an M&P, then thought that I wanted a Spikes also, didn't want to wait on a Spikes, found a Daniel Defense in stock that I liked, and pulled the trigger on it. No more ARs for me for a while... I hope.

Not a big fan of Spikes Tactical. You've got LWRC, Knights Armament, Lewis Machine Tool MRP's, Black Rain Ordance and a host of other manufacturers for high end AR15 platformed rifles.

I got home Friday from Shot Show 012 and Spikes would have fell pretty far down the ladder rung compared to so many others that are the very top of the AR platform game.

Not to mention, almost nobody who seriously shoots the AR platform uses a "Carbine" length gas system these day's. The Mid-Length is a preferred option that many of the manufacturers are offering unless your looking at running an SBR rifle.

Here is the LMT CQB MRP Piston SBR with a 12.5" barrel. SOPMOD stock and Defender lower. Just one of the better rifles being fielded today. Don't forget BCM and POF too. This was a photo taken at the 09 Show. But, this still one of the most sought after AR's on the market today.
    Attached Images
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Plenty of people use the carbine length gas system, even people who are "serious", it just isn't optimal for the 16" carbine barrels required to keep the rifles out of the prevue of the NFA. The carbine gas system is optimized for the 14.5" barrel, not the 16" one. That said, while I have a mid-length rifle, I don't see it as any "better" than my Colt LE6920. I wish the 6920 had a 14.5" barrel rather than a 16" one, but that is for handiness rather than anything else. A 6921 would be an option, but I don't want to go NFA and not also go shorter than 14.5". I think one of my next builds is going to be a 14.5" with a pinned flash hider to keep me in title I status and have a slightly shorter OAL, plus the optimum length for the carbine gas system. The M4, after all, is a carbine gas gun, and there are probably more "serious shooters" (read: for real) using it than anything else AR/M16 related.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

You can buy a new colt for 1100 from G&R tactical... why would you settle on a spikes?

Administrator
    I'm not sure why they Spikes backlash recently. I cannot find fault on their components, all seem to have everything done properly. The only thing that does turn me off is their liberal dose of logo's and goofy sales tactics.

And no, I'm not a fan boy, nor am I trying to defend my most recent AR purchase.

I own or have owned a RRA, Bushmaster, Colt, Spikes, Noveske and LMT. My newest build is going to be truly a franken gun, with parts from LMT, BCM, Spikes and DD.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    You can buy a new colt for 1100 from G&R tactical... why would you settle on a spikes?
    $950, actually! I just posted about Spikes in another thread…. I'll find it and post it here.

Here's the post, follow the link for more info on Spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    This might help you out. This thread is from yesterday or the day before. The OP originally asked abut Spikes vs DSA. BCM was also a consideration at first and hopefully they, or Daniel Defense, are now.

There's some good info scattered around the three pages. My post is 16, though the others surely have some better technical info.

Stuck on a couple of choices, Spikes or DS Arms - M4Carbine.net Forums

I'd tell you to go with the Daniel Defense and not look back. They're not exactly on the same level, though Spikes is decent. I'd like to give you an example, but it's not that easy in this case, so just read the link and hopefully it'll give your enough info to make an informed decision. Good luck.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links