Springfield M1A worth the price?

This is a discussion on Springfield M1A worth the price? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Shot my friends Springfield M1A today at the range and felt great. Awesome groupings at 100 yards. But i asked him and he around 1200+ish ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Springfield M1A worth the price?

Shot my friends Springfield M1A today at the range and felt great. Awesome groupings at 100 yards. But i asked him and he around 1200+ish for the rifle. He wasnt too happy with the price he paid. I have some $$ set aside for a nice rifle. I already have an AR and want something else. the SOCOM 16 was nice at the gunshow but i wanna see if there are any M1A owners here happy with their M1A rifles
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

I have a National Match, and wouldn't take any AR over it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I've been dying to get an M1A Scout Squad.

Main battle rifle qualified but a little longer than the SOCOM 16 and a little shorter than a full size NM or Loaded. Just the right size IMO.

I won't get rid of my Colt AR to get one, but like glockman10mm, I wouldn't take any AR over the M1A.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

sgb
    Love mine

Sarge45 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

What sights do you have on that...range officer? Looks like you're missing the front sight on my CP screen.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

VIP Member
    Great looking rifle, I plan on one being my next long gun purchase.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    Are they worth it? Depends... Do you have the facility to really shoot it at its capability? Do you have the desire to really learn to be a rifleman? Do you have the money to feed it? If so, then yes, they are worth it. But, if the longest range you have access to is 100 yds and your happy shooting pop cans with a 22, then no, it's not worth it.
    chefjon and atctimmy like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I have a regular M1A and I have a M1A scout. They are great guns. I hunt with mine and there is nothing like having a magazine fed 20 round 308 in the woods.

I know many folks are probably thinking overkill, however, the 19 extra rounds are not for the deer! Came accross a poaching camp one time in the middle of the woods with a 8mm Mauser. Then I started thinking, thats a big Camp. I have 5 rounds. Called the game warden asked what the magazine limit on centerfire rifles for hunting deer in VA. He said come to find out there is no limit on ammo capacity for hunting deer. Anyway, they are great rifles.

SIXTO, living in Northern Virginia if we shoot past 100 yards we run the risk of hitting a 7-11. So yes I regularly plink with my .308's at 50-100 yards.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I have a plain ol' M1A and love it. A very accurate rifle from the bench rest and has been fun to use in competition and for long range plinking sessions.

Personally, I'd only be interested in full-sized M1As for their added barrel length for increased ballistic advantages and to get the muzzle blast farther away.

I'm like Gman. I would give any AR 15 (AR 10 too) ever made the heave-ho before I'd give up the M1A.

Sixto's right. This rifle can use some room. Short range plinking could be satisfying but also could be accomplished with lesser rifles. I have to admit to being seriously entertained, preparing an exacting series of handloads to try in the rifle in an effort to shoot tight groups at 100-200 yards from the bench. The rifle is accurate enough so that it could be worth it for the inveterate tinkerer.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I think that they generally are. Granted, I have never even handled one of the really super-up ones, do I don't know if they are.

But even the entry level models are finely made, accurate weapons. I have had one on my "dream list" for a long, long time.

One of the few things I don't like about it is that it isn't the easiest to mount a scope on. Maybe some of the older guys will call it blasphemy, and say I should stick with irons. But really, I think with 20 rounds of .308 and the capabilities of the rifle, it just calls to be made into a DM style rifle, and for that you need decent glass and a solid mount. Yes, I realize that does take away the ability to load with stripper clips.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Love mine

^^^^^^^^I'm Droolin'^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I gotta quit being a knucklehead, and start saving money for one, cause I love this rifle, always have.

They sometimes sell the Norinco(chinese) made one for around $900 or so @ the Mt. Clemens, Gibralter GShow.

But something just seems so wrong with buying one made in China, when, for a few hundies mor you get the real deal.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Are they worth it? Depends... Do you have the facility to really shoot it at its capability? Do you have the desire to really learn to be a rifleman? Do you have the money to feed it? If so, then yes, they are worth it. But, if the longest range you have access to is 100 yds and your happy shooting pop cans with a 22, then no, it's not worth it.
    +1
    I have one of the old "Super Match" models. Its a hoot to shoot. That said its expensive to maintain if it needs parts. Its expensive to feed even with reloads.

Michael

Love all of mine! Of course I am old school.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Why is it that we're quick to dump $1000~ for an AR variant, but not something like this?

Why will we pay $600 or $700 a month on an automobile that must be replaced in 10 yrs, rather than something like this that will hold it's value, financial and sentimental, for many years?

Yeah, that M1A is probably too much money.

But so is that iPhone, and that latest laptop, and your current tv,and that Blu-Ray player, and all that other over-priced electronic stuff that's outdated the minute it hits the electronic section at Walmart.
    Bark'n and bmcgilvray like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

It's threads like this that keep rotating the M1A, AR15, and AK 47 through the top spot in my shopping list
    AngryBadger417 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links