Picked up an AR today

This is a discussion on Picked up an AR today within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well due to a friends misfortune, divorce, haha, I picked up a BNIB DPMS .223 today. I was saving money and lurking the AR forums ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrBuckwheat

Thread: Picked up an AR today

Picked up an AR today

Well due to a friends misfortune, divorce, haha, I picked up a BNIB DPMS .223 today. I was saving money and lurking the AR forums and had made up my mind on a spikes tactical m4le model , but I got this baby, 4 mags , case and 400 rds ammo for $500. I know there are a lot of DPMS bashers, but it will be used on a recreational level.

Happy dance
    Dont mistake Kindness for Weakness!!!
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9
    Ruger SP 101 2 1/4" 357 mag

2. Remove Ads

Now to do some minor upgrades and drop an optic.

Any one have any optic suggestions around $200
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9

VIP Member
    Good for you. $500.00 wow nice purchase. You can upgrade a ton on that weapon if you want to. "Eotech" sights are pretty good. for low cost.
    All_Business likes this.

DPMS may not be the best, but at that price you cannot go wrong. Vortex Sparc and Strikefire are getting some decent reviews. Both around $150-200.

Color me jealous. It's no Colt, but you'd be foolish to pass up a deal like that! Congrats!
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Sponsor
    Sounds like you got a great deal!

Check out m4carbine.net for a list of things to inspect and upgrade, like the gas key staking. Just be prepared to get berated for buying a DPMS if you mention it!

What kind of optics are you looking for?

I'd look at Primary Arms for RDS under $200.00 but I would highly recommend keeping your eyes open for a good deal on an Aimpoint or EoTech. "Buy once cry once."

Stay away from 99% of the low priced RDS on ebay. Mostly real low end chicom airsoft crap that won't even stand up to rim-fire recoil.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I do not care for DPMS, but I understand the deal and can't fault you for that. There's a few things you can do to bring it up to its most reliable point.

A new bolt/bolt carrier group, an H buffer (or H2), some staking and a chamber check and you're good to go. You can do nothing, only the things that don't cost or everything recommended as well as a little at a time.

These are just suggestions from what is generally seen from DPMS, current Bushmaster, RRA, etc. it doesn't mean that your particular rifle needs everything, more like a recommendation for what to investigate and decide what, if anything, your rifle needs.

Even if you do everything, it shouldn't cost you more than $200 or so with the bolt carrier group being the most expensive. I'll edit this with a link for you. I hope you enjoy your rifle!

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

John I'm waiting for them to approve my acct on m4carbine forum. I can't post so I guess there is a waiting period. I have been reading up and will make some upgrades for sure. Again I know they will bash DPMS but it's not goin into battle. But I WILL do my best to make it reliable.
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9

I'm liking the vortex strikefire. Gonna do a Lil more research on this one
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9

RKM
    For nothing more than a fun range gun, I thing you did fantastic. Enjoy :)

For that price and intended use, I'd say ya done good

I have heard nothing but good things about the Vortex dots.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

save up a little more for a a good optic. Basically dont purchase the first thing that comes by because you really get what you pay for. Lucid has an optic for a decent price its the HD7 LUCID Red Dot Sight or you can hold out some more and nab an Eotech, or Aimpoint PRO
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Nice steal of a deal. For an optic under 200, I'd go with the Vortex Strikefire. I have it on one of my AR's and it has so far performed flawlessly after about 2k
    rounds. You may get lucky and find a used Aimpoint on ebay...I got one from an active duty guy who had surplus for sale. Just be certain you're getting it
    from a reliable seller.

BTW...any reasons why DPMS are not good?? I was thinking of buying one today in fact. Just about to send my FFL a check.

Sponsor
    It's not that DPMS isn't "Good", though more than a few would argue with that statement. It's simply that you can get much better quality in materials and assembly from other sources for just a little more money. Now, the price the OP got and his intended purpose makes this a pretty good deal, but if he had paid "New" price that most shops want for the DPMS ARs or if he had plans to work this stick hard, there are better choices.

Right now there a couple dealers selling the Colt 6920 for just under a grand.

There's quite a bit of good info out there about what to look for in an AR.

jonconsiglio would be the guy to ask for specifics. He's one of the resident AR gurus.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Links