Assault rifle vs. car

This is a discussion on Assault rifle vs. car within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a hypothetical that requires intuition regarding automobiles and bullet penetration. Please don't consider the driver, I'm only really concerned about the car. The ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Assault rifle vs. car

Assault rifle vs. car

This is a hypothetical that requires intuition regarding automobiles and bullet penetration. Please don't consider the driver, I'm only really concerned about the car. The goal is to maximize the likelihood that the car will eventually stop. Sooner is better than later, but probability most important.

Suppose you only had enough time to empty one magazine into the broadside of a car (for simplicity, say, a Ford Escape), which weapon would you prefer? If the vehicle is moving, and about 50 m away, the shots cannot be as precise as we'd like. Recoil is balanced against shot-placement, obviously. The ammunition type can be whatever 'standard' ammo you'd prefer.

FN SCAR - 7.62x51, 20 rounds
    M4 - 5.56x45, 30 rounds
    P90 - 5.7x28, 50 rounds
    AR15 "Beowulf" - 0.50", 10 rounds
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The M4, because I am the most proficient with it, and because hitting a moving target - even at the relatively close range of 50m - isn't the easiest thing in the world. The gun I'm best with, and the most chances to hit something important, equals M4 for me.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

If I can leave weapon familiarity out of the equation, I'd chose the SCAR for the 762x51 downrange effectiveness. At 50 yards the 5.56 has just a hair more velocity than the 7.62, but only about a third of the mass - thus the 7.62x51 has more than double the available energy and destructive power at that range. Your problem statement is about stopping a moving car, and I want as much punch available to take out wheels or underhood equipment as possible.

But if familiarity with the gun is important, then the choice is between the M4 or Beowulf (same basic platform) - and I'd pick the M4 and 30 rounds, hands down.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

M855 in an M4 for me. The 7.62 with black-tip rounds would be better as far as it goes, but you can definitely control the M4 in rapid fire a lot better, and you get 10 more shots.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Disabling a moving car with the small arms available to civilians would be a very dicey thing. The 7.62 NATO round for sure in quantities of 20 rounds. AP would be nice. There just wouldn't be enough .223 on tap to suit me and even the mention of the 5.7X28 for such a task is only good for a laugh. I don't know enough about the .50 Beowulf but it wouldn't likely be any more controllable than the FN in 7.62X51, probably wouldn't do any more damage, and holds fewest rounds.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I don't understand this question.

The fastest way to stop a car using a firearm, is to take out the driver.

Absent that, a car can drive for quite a while even when damaged. Shoot out the tires - you can still drive on the rims. Puncture the radiator - it will take time for the engine to overheat. Destroy the alternator - the engine will run off the battery for a while. Even breaking the engine block will not immediately stop the car necessarily.

If you get lucky and hit the computer that controls the engine, you might get a quick stop.

So again - I don't get this question.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If I can leave weapon familiarity out of the equation, I'd chose the SCAR for the 762x51 downrange effectiveness. At 50 yards the 5.56 has just a hair more velocity than the 7.62, but only about a third of the mass - thus the 7.62x51 has more than double the available energy and destructive power at that range. Your problem statement is about stopping a moving car, and I want as much punch available to take out wheels or underhood equipment as possible.
    But if familiarity with the gun is important, then the choice is between the M4 or Beowulf (same basic platform) - and I'd pick the M4 and 30 rounds, hands down.
    I'd run with what Smitty said..the AR platform is a second option
    Just a question as to why you didn't include the AK platform...
    For people who haven't seen it, the video "Deadly Weapons" made in 1985 in a good source of real info, and entertainment for those impossible scenes that Hollywood conjures up
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Any of the firearms listed would be best used disabling the driver. If I had to stop a vehicle mechanically, I'd want an m82.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Disabling the driver would be the best thing to do.

We weren't suppose to consider the driver though.

It'd probably be easier to stop an elephant with any of the listed cartridges rather than relying on them to stop a vehicle.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

M2HB or M134
    Happiness is a beltfed weapon.....
    RockStrongo likes this.
    so, about my sammich.......

Senior Moderator
    FN SCAR - 7.62x51, 20 rounds
    I'd take this one.

M4 - 5.56x45, 30 rounds
    Proven to be not a great stopper on vehicles in the Middle East thus the reason that most outposts used .30 caliber machine guns.

P90 - 5.7x28, 50 rounds
    A glorified pipsqueak round that is ineffective on anything other than soft targets.

AR15 "Beowulf" - 0.50", 10 rounds
    Still not enough. I'll take 20 rounds of .308 instead of 10 rounds of slow .50.
    bmcgilvray and jonconsiglio like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'm going to venture to guess that taking out a car with a single mag of any of the above might be possible but you will fail more likely than not. Any car will stop eventually. Broadside the possibility of making decisive damaging hits on the engine block, cooling, system, or what have you are slim. My bet would be on one of the steering tires. One front flat would slow the vehicle and make it harder to control.

Any round you choose centered through the drivers side door or window.

Seriously though modern cars are kind of like animals. Even with a good hit they may limp on for quite a ways. The only sure way to stop one would be a cns hit

posted via tapatalk using android.

Being a mechanic, I know where to aim to get the desired results on most vehicles. 7.62 or 5.56x45 (preferably steel core), either will work for me, providing I am in a position to make the the adequate follow up shots. Semis (class 7 & 8) oddly enough, are easier to stop than cars.

That being said, broadside at a moving vehicle, your target windows diminish rapidly.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links