Red Dot

This is a discussion on Red Dot within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Need some recommendations on a few red dot scope options for an AR? All input is appreciated....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Red Dot

Red Dot

Need some recommendations on a few red dot scope options for an AR? All input is appreciated.
    "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
    -Thomas Jefferson-

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I wouldnt mess around with junk. I'd go with an Aimpoint or maybe an Eotech.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks SIXTO. Was looking at the EAOTech's.
    "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
    -Thomas Jefferson-

I prefer Aimpoints, but EOtechs are good too.

My best advice is to research the heck out of both brands, and be honest with what features you do, or don't need. A lot of them have bells and whistles which the average civilian probably will never use, so you don't necessarily need those features.

Try to find a way to shoot an AR with each of those brands up top two, as they have some differences that may lend one or the other to fulfill your preferences.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

sgb
    ................... Aimpoint
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Administrator
    The AIMPOINT PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic)

The cheapest that I've seen it priced was $400.00

shjourdan and sgb like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I have a Vortex StrikeFire red dot on my Stag carbine that is an excellent buy for the money, $149.

Granted it's not an Aimpoint...but then I'm not fighting in the Middle East "sandbox"!

For the difference in price, I can buy a few 1000 rounds of 5.56 ammo.
    Proud NRA member

RKM
    What others said. I think the biggest advantage Aimpoint has over Eotech is battery life. Some people just like the single dot instead of the Eotech reticle. Though Eotech now offers a few models with a single dot.

If you're not going to be putting your rifle through serious stress and abuse, there are some really gooe "budget" options. And I don't mean Tasco red dots from Wal-Mart. I'd recommend Primary Arms. Very affordable and they're good enough for most shooters. I have a Primary Arms "micro dot" on my AK. Vortex red dots get decent reviews.

I love my Eotech on my AR, but I'm tempted to switch to Aimpoint based on battery life alone. I have one of the older Eotechs that take "N' type batteries. They last like 5 minutes and cost $9834759845. I just prefer the "display" type sight picture of Eotechs, rather than the tube of Aimpoints. This doesn't matter because you should be keeping both eyes open, but I still prefer the Eotech. Bigger field of view it seems.

I LOVE my primary arms micro dot. Its been ran hard and still keeps zero and functions great. If I had a lot of money I might by an aim point but I don't and I'm not. I think battery life is 1,000 hours which is more than enough for me. Look at the you tube videos on it. Pretty nice for like a 6th of what aim points cost.

Aimpoint torture test with Daniel Defense

shjourdan likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The Aimpoint PRO rides on my Spikes rifle. Definitely the safe choice.

I bought an EoTech 510 for the AR I just got done building (Stag model 8 piston gun); I have just started wringing it out on the range and am pleased so far; I like the idea of the AA alkaline batteries, as a survivalist type pointed out to me, if the crap ever hit the fan, batteries for the sight can be easily found as opposed to some of the other optics out there. Since I only intend for this rifle to engage targets out to 150 yards maximum, this sight works just fine for me...... The Stag came with flip-up irons from the factory and they do not interfere with the EoTech at all so I am very happy with the setup as-is...... Another option for you is a C-More, which I had originally considered, but changed my mind when I found the EoTech......

Good luck whichever way you go....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    What others said. I think the biggest advantage Aimpoint has over Eotech is battery life. Some people just like the single dot instead of the Eotech reticle. Though Eotech now offers a few models with a single dot.

If you're not going to be putting your rifle through serious stress and abuse, there are some really gooe "budget" options. And I don't mean Tasco red dots from Wal-Mart. I'd recommend Primary Arms. Very affordable and they're good enough for most shooters. I have a Primary Arms "micro dot" on my AK. Vortex red dots get decent reviews.

I love my Eotech on my AR, but I'm tempted to switch to Aimpoint based on battery life alone. I have one of the older Eotechs that take "N' type batteries. They last like 5 minutes and cost $9834759845. I just prefer the "display" type sight picture of Eotechs, rather than the tube of Aimpoints. This doesn't matter because you should be keeping both eyes open, but I still prefer the Eotech. Bigger field of view it seems.
    I thought I heard that you could send in your older eotechs and have them switched over to the newer battery types that eotech uses. I'm not sure but you might want to look into it.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have optics by many makers including Eotech, Aimpoint, Vortex, Bushnell, and Primary Arms, No question the Eotech and Aimpoint are the superior units mentioned here but for the average shooter who runs a couple thousand rounds a year or less at the range through his rifle, the Vortex Strikefire or Primary Arms red dots will work just fine. If you shoot competitively or plan on some rifle training or plan on some other hard use for your gun go with the high end optics.

Eotech on AR and Primary Arms Micro Dot on AK

For a fun plinker like this .22 AR setup the Primary Arms (Aimpoint clone) is a perfect choice IMO.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I went from an Eotech to an Aimpoint T1, and will never look back. Right now I have the T1 on a Larue QD mount. I highly recommend the Larue mounting system
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links