Does Anyone use a 6.8 SPC for Home Defense?

This is a discussion on Does Anyone use a 6.8 SPC for Home Defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I watched the Nutnfancy video from ShotShow 2012 tonight where he interviewed Ronnie Barrett. I really liked what Mr. Barrett had to say about the ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By jerwin
  • 1 Post By jonconsiglio
  • 1 Post By aus71383

Thread: Does Anyone use a 6.8 SPC for Home Defense?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Does Anyone use a 6.8 SPC for Home Defense?

I watched the Nutnfancy video from ShotShow 2012 tonight where he interviewed Ronnie Barrett. I really liked what Mr. Barrett had to say about the 6.8 SPC and thought about how it would make for a great HD rifle. The rifles look more expensive than traditional 5.56 rifles and I'm sure the ammo is more expensive as well. I'm assuming that price in rifle and ammo keeps these rifles out of most homes for HD but is this all there is to it? I've read that 6.8 SPC ammo might be harder to come by so it makes sense why some might shy away from it. Irrespective of these matters, is there anyone out there using a 6.8 SPC for your HD rifle? Mr. Barrett is a real salesman and I have to admit he makes his 6.8 SPC rifle sound like its a really nice gun. He said that if he was a LEO and he was out in the field alone, he'd want the 6.8 defending his life; something that was really going to put someone down, etc. I'm in the process of gathering up info & resources to make my first AR (5.56) a reality and I'm not really wanting to scrap the project in place of a 6.8 SPC but perhaps it might make it into the "to get" category for future purchases.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think the 6.8 would be very good at stopping threats. The problem is that it's twice as expensive as a 5.56. The 5.56 is proven to be good at stopping threats too as long as the right bullets are used.

Before I bought my first AR I shopped hard and really looked at the 6.8. It just didn't measure up in the value department and the performance wasn't so fantastic as to be worth the added expense. If you want a big gun the 7.62 X 51 is cheaper to shoot.

Other than the cost thing I thought it was a cool round. It's just too expensive.
    DefConGun and aus71383 like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

sgb
    With the current range of SD ammunition available in .223 & 5.56 the 6.8's increased power is marginal IMHO
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

If you're interested in getting a detailed understanding of the 6.8 SPC round, AR15 uppers and complete rifle options for the 6.8, check out 68forums dot com. The price to buy or build a 6.8 upper for an AR15 is not a lot more expensive than a quality .223 or 5.56, however, you're right, 6.8 ammo isn't as cheap or as available as 5.56 unless you reload. I have been shooting and reloading for three 6.8 rifles (AR15, Ruger 6.8 Mini-14 & a bolt action) over four years and have really grown to appreciate the 6.8's capabilities with the latest chamber and barrel specs.

In addition to law enforcement applications, the real advances in the 6.8 have been seen in its broad acceptance for hunting. It has become very popular for deer, hogs and other medium sized game. Several AR builders have focused on building light, accurate and reliable 6.8 hunting rigs. If you spend an hour exploring 68forums dot com, you're see dozens of threads and hundreds of pictures illustrating the capability of the 6.8 SPC as a hunting cartridge.

As a home defense weapon, I would personally prefer a shotgun or handgun.
    DefConGun likes this.

I have an 8" LWRC PSD I keep in my office. I had two others that i sold within a year of buying them. The only reason I haven't change the 8" to a 10.5" 5.56 loaded with TSX is due to laziness, no other reason. They make a nice SBR that's quite effective, but it offers little when it really comes down to it over a properly loaded 5.56.

Either the 6.8 or 5.56 will make a better defensive weapon than a handgun or shotgun, all else being equal like training and set up.

6.8 is a great round for deer and hogs as well, but so is 7.62x51 and 5.56 loaded with TSX, though I'd grab my 7.62x51 for larger game. For 2 legged critters, I'll take one of my 5.56 over anything else I own, and I own a good bit of the "other" stuff as well as have training with them in shoot houses and classes.

Just a personal opinion based on my own experiences with these rounds.
    DefConGun likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think the 6.8 would be very good at stopping threats. The problem is that it's twice as expensive as a 5.56. The 5.56 is proven to be good at stopping threats too as long as the right bullets are used.

Before I bought my first AR I shopped hard and really looked at the 6.8. It just didn't measure up in the value department and the performance wasn't so fantastic as to be worth the added expense. If you want a big gun the 7.62 X 51 is cheaper to shoot.

Other than the cost thing I thought it was a cool round. It's just too expensive.
    I agree with this 100%. I too wanted a 6.8SPC. As far as it's terminal performance I do believe it performs better than a 5.56, it's pretty much proven. But not so much better to justify the cost. Especially if I want to shoot it a lot. I think the 5.56, like atctimmy said, is a perfect choice given you're using the correct ammo for the job. Again like he said, you want a bigger caliber, go 7.62x51, or maybe try out an AK in 7.62x39

However, if I wanted to go SBR.... like REALLY SBR, I'd go with 6.8SPC as it's not a velocity dependent to do it's damage like 5.56 is.

I don't specifically have a 6.8 SPC for home defense but would be used if needed, as I have a 12 gauge and handgun that are more readily available. I do use the 6.8SPC for a vehicle gun when I have assignments in rural areas where LEO response time might be awhile before they could get to me. I choose the 6.8 due to the better ballistics and bullet weight. I use 110 and 120 gr ammo. Never had to use it and hope I never do but it is sure a comfort when I'm miles from the nearest town and have to go talk with questionable people, who might not be receptive to my presence.

I think the 6.8 is a good cartridge for an SBR. If money is not an issue, I would recommend it. A 300 Blackout SBR with subsonic ammo and a suppressor would be nice too. The list goes on...

That said - no SBRs allowed in my state. My 5.56 rifles with 75gr TAP have great terminal performance. So do my 7.62x51 rifles with 155gr AMAX. 6.8 ammo is expensive, and I don't need another niche caliber to feed for HD.

Austin
    atctimmy likes this.

I think a shotty is better for HD.

I have a 6.8 that I reload for. It is absolutely awesome.

Extremely accurate, and with the Hornady 120 SST, it is a major large Hog stopper.

There are improved 556 offerings, but the 120 SST is still a significantly better stopper on deer and 400 lb hogs.

And I would think on 2 legged critters as well

At this point, reloading makes shooting the 6.8 on par with the 5.56 pricing.

If you dont reload there arent cheap options for the 6.8, like there are with the 5.56.

Your lowest price options are 80 to 90 cent bullets.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Links