Help Me Decide On What Stock to get for my First AR

This is a discussion on Help Me Decide On What Stock to get for my First AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been promising my Aero Precision receiver that I was going to get it a stock ever since I got it sometime ago. The problem ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Help Me Decide On What Stock to get for my First AR

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Help Me Decide On What Stock to get for my First AR

I've been promising my Aero Precision receiver that I was going to get it a stock ever since I got it sometime ago. The problem is, however, I have no idea as to what I'm doing. This is my first AR and I am a babe in the woods.

For the longest time, I thought I would get something like an MOE. I can get an MOE kit from Palmetto State Armory for $79.95. After spending some time on Bravo Company, I started looking at the Vltor A5 stock. It is $224.15 - a considerable difference. Let us also not forget the Magpul CTR-M & the Vltor EMOD (Isn't there also an IMOD? What's the difference?) that bridges the gap between the MOE & A5. From what little I can tell from what other people say, the CTR is tighter fitting than an MOE and perhaps doesn't rattle as much. I watched a video on the A5 and saw the battery compartments and have read the description about the A5 set-up that left me with the impression that it makes the rifle shoot "better"?

I want to have a competent rifle as an end result of my effort. I'm willing to delay some instant gratification and purchase the most appropriate item, even if it prolongs my build time per limited funds, etc.

What have been your experiences with stocks? Is a stock a stock and therefore a component that doesn't deserve the attention that I have already given this topic? Is the stock an integral component that affects the overall "feel" and therefore, affects the way the rifle handles and perceived quality, etc.?

Can a stock cause a rifle to be a more competent shooter? Are A5 stocks well worth the money or are they a fashion statement?

Thanks for your input,
    DCG

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    MOE or CTR ......... Keep it lite and keep it simple. Don't buy into all the high speed high drag add on hype you'll never see any benefit from.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Magpul is good to go
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Take a look at TI-7. Prefer the cheek weld and angle to CTR/MOE. Locks up more solidly than CTR/MOE or Magpul's ACS. I prefer the ACS to the CTR/MOE also.....same reason = better cheek weld for me. Some angle similarites to the SOPMOD as a much cheaper price.

CTR/MOE were too thin for my taste, whereas TI-7 comes right up into position for me quickly and comfortably to the cheek position.

TI-7 is on my SBR. ACS is on my 16" rifle to balance it out since it had a heavy barrel. Re-barreled that one with a lightweight midlength barrel recently, so might consider putting TI-7 on it since it isn't so front heavy anymore.

For my 18" 3gun rifle, I prefer the Magpul UBR as it is a bit heavier and balances out the rifle. Unique buffer tube, but that stock doesn't move and is very nice IMO.

Stick with the standard M4 stock with a rubber buttpad until you find a reason to replace it. Or, get something like the MOE kit or even the B5 SOPMOD kit depending if you'd like a sloped stock or not.

Just be sure to get a mil spec receiver extension so you have more options if you decide to change it. I'd order the BCM M4 stock kit or the MOE stock kit if running a standard upper. If you're running a precision upper with some weight to it, get the SOPMOD or EMOD.

The Vltor A5 can be bought without the stock for $100 with the standard buffer and rifle action spring. Any stock will fit, just some like the MOR and iMod will no collapse completely. I run two of them, one with a CTR and one with a SOPMOD and really like what it offers for certain rifles.
    DefConGun likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Well, my MOE doesn't really rattle, and locks up tight.

I personally like that stock a lot, and it doesn't break the bank. Plus it is lightweight.

So, that is where my money went. But, figure out what your needs for the stock are, and the one that fulfills them best.

Really the biggest way the stock is going to effect you is in fit. First would be length of pull, but, since it appears you are going with an adjustable, that doesn't really matter. The other things that really matters is your cheek weld. You want to be able to establish a good cheek weld for when you fire, that is both comfortable, and at the same time puts your eye directly in line with your sights. I find that I prefer thinner stocks, as it seems easier to me to get a good cheek weld quickly, so the VLTOR style doesn't do it for me.

What kind and height of optics are you running on this rifle?

No stock is really going to enhance the mechanical ability and accuracy of the rifle. It all depends on what fits you the best, and what allows you to utilize it to the best of your ability.

It is worth noting, several manufacturers now make rifles that come from the factory with the MOE stock, so, if you have a good local gun store nearby, you may be able to go handle one and see how it fits for you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Well, my MOE doesn't really rattle, and locks up tight.

I personally like that stock a lot, and it doesn't break the bank. Plus it is lightweight.

So, that is where my money went. But, figure out what your needs for the stock are, and the one that fulfills them best.

Really the biggest way the stock is going to effect you is in fit. First would be length of pull, but, since it appears you are going with an adjustable, that doesn't really matter. The other things that really matters is your cheek weld. You want to be able to establish a good cheek weld for when you fire, that is both comfortable, and at the same time puts your eye directly in line with your sights. I find that I prefer thinner stocks, as it seems easier to me to get a good cheek weld quickly, so the VLTOR style doesn't do it for me.

What kind and height of optics are you running on this rifle?

No stock is really going to enhance the mechanical ability and accuracy of the rifle. It all depends on what fits you the best, and what allows you to utilize it to the best of your ability.

It is worth noting, several manufacturers now make rifles that come from the factory with the MOE stock, so, if you have a good local gun store nearby, you may be able to go handle one and see how it fits for you.
    This is a stripped receiver. I plan on running BUIS for now and a red dot later on (probably an Aimpoint model).

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    This is a stripped receiver. I plan on running BUIS for now and a red dot later on (probably an Aimpoint model).
    Okay, well, if you are just planning on running normal height stuff and co-witnessing, than I think whatever stock best tickles your fancy should do. It really becomes more of an issue with higher scope rings and things like that.

I still think the MOE stock is a good starting point, and is functional.
    DefConGun likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

RKM
    I have both an MOE and B5 SOPMOD. Nothing wrong with the MOE, but I find the SOPMOD to feel nicer on my cheek. I didn't need the storage, but I made use of it. I still have my MOE. Hopefully I'll have another AR someday that it can go on.

My favorite is the Ergo. 8 position. For $130 approx I don't think you can beat it.

168953.jpg
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I just made a purchase tonight after some diligent searching to find the right kind of package that I think I will be happy with, etc. I decided to go with the Magpul CTR-M (Milspec military model) in Flat Dark Earth. My searching paid off. BCM has the CTR-M listed for $92.15 and I thought I found a deal when I found it for $75.99 @ Palmetto State Armory. Can you imagine how surprised I was, however, when I found it listed for $75.95 at a website called Operation Parts but after I placed it in the shopping cart, I found out that it's really $67.96?! I've looked at a lot of websites and I haven't seen this stock this cheap anywhere. I even checked the stock number just to make sure I was ordering the right part.

On a second note that I'm really happy about has to do with the rest of the stock assembly. I was wanting to order everything from one website to keep the cost down on shipping. I had been looking at the stock hardware mounting kit @ Bravo Company for $55.95. They allow you to upgrade to the "H" buffer for $12, in which I was going to do, etc. I wasn't sure if I needed the "H" buffer or not and after a brief search, I found a posting on another forum where a poster said he had called Daniel Defense and they said they use "H" buffers in their 16" middys. Given that I'm most likely going to use a Daniel Defense upper, I decided to order an "H" buffer. I'm sure the BCM kit is a quality kit and I don't know if its really going to make a difference but most of the parts I ordered tonight from Operations Parts for my assembly are Daniel Defense pieces; castle nut, 6 position receiver extension, H buffer and receiver end plate. I couldn't find a DD buffer spring but I did find and order an LMT spring. I was going to order an LMT buffer given that it was about $12 cheaper than the DD but it was out of stock.

I'm thinking of posting a build thread so anyone that might be interested will be able to check in on the progress that this rifle is making, etc. I'll post pictures and details along with future intended plans, etc.

Thank you everyone for your help, suggestions and for sharing your experiences.

God bless,
    DCG

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    CTR on my Stag AR
    Proud NRA member

VIP Member
    Check out the Mako Group, I started using their gear on my AK's and they make good stuff.

Stocks
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

RKM
    I don't care for Mako's stocks, though I will say, the cheek risers are nice unlike Magpuls when it renders the charging handle unusable unless the stock is fully extended.

I didn't know that about the Magpuls...good to know...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links